• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

non-Cantonese Chinese food

brescd01

There are apparently 8 basic cuisines in Chinese cooking. I have tried only three of them, though I have had Cantonese, Szechuan, Fujianese, Shanghainese, Taiwanese, Chao Chow, Jilin and Liaoning styles. Where can I try the remainder in Philadelphia, or baring that, non-Cantonese? I love New Joe's Shanghai, so you can begin after this great place....

These are the styles I want to try:

Beijing

Shandong (Jinan and Jiaodong)

Jiangsu/Huaiyang

Zhejiang (Hanzhou, Ningbo, Shaoxing)

Hunan

Anhui

Any ideas?

Okay, let's run this down.

Of the ones you are seeking, there are none that specialize in these cuisines in Philly.

As for non-Cantonese, here you go.

Fukienese / Fujianese

suprisingly few of these places given their population

The only one I can think of right now is the northwest corner of 10th and Arch. Don't know the name, but it's right there on the corner, under the Friendship Gate.

Shanghaiese

New Joe Shanghai is the only one; tried it, decent enough, not enough experience with it

Taiwanese

roughly middle of the eastern side of 9th St between Race and Cherry Sts. is someplace with name similar to Taiwan Noodle House

other possibility is across from New Joe Shanghai, the restaurant that is in that building all by its lonesome, in front of the parking lot and next to the little alley, that may be Taiwanese, I'm not sure

That's really it. Are you aware of any places in New York that specialize in the other cuisines? Szechuan is one I'd really like to see.

Brief summary of Chinatown development on east coast of US:

it all starts with New York City. Most Chinese go to where they have friends or family. A few go each to Boston, Philly, DC, and etc. that way. Most others initially go to New York. Some leave New York because they can't make a living in Chinatown there because too many people fighting for too little a market. Then they go to Boston or Philly. Then elsewhere, if necessary. It's why the East Coast has progressively smaller Chinese populations the farther you go from New York City.

New York has gotten too expensive for many of the immigrant communities at the bottom of the economic barrel.

In the last 5-10 years, both Mexican and Chinese (mostly Fukienese) have been steadily coming to Philly from New York, giving us tacquerias and hopefully more Fukienese restaurants.

Also in the last 5-10 years, Mexicans have become the new bottom rung of Chinese restaurants' workforce just like any other restaurants, undercutting even the unskilled Chinese, who had a set place within the Chinese restaurant community.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Wow, what a plethora of info!! :biggrin:

I had Hunan food in San Francisco more than a year ago, and am still drooling over it...awesome, fresh, spicy stuff.

Herb--anywhere on the East Coast I can find it?? (I'll go anywhere from DC-Boston). Thanks

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

For Herbicidal:

The best Szechuan is to be had at Grand Sichuan, opposite the Manhattan Bridge at 125 Canal. It is everything you have dreamed of.

really? my impression was that the best was at grand sichuan international in midtown, roughly 49th and 6th/7th/8th.

that's from reading this board and CH.

i've been there, thought it was quite good. haven't had enough of it, nor have I had that much Szechuan food in general.

My sum total of Szechuan food experience:

3 days eat in Chengdu, of which I actually only remember 1 meal

with the big container in the middle in which all the food is cooked, huge gas tank underneath i think.

table roughly 4 feet in diameter, with the container being about 2 feet in diameter.

then a meal about a month ago at Grand Sichuan International, can't remember specifically what we ate

(gotta start carrying a camera around)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Taiwanese

roughly middle of the eastern side of 9th St between Race and Cherry Sts.  is someplace with name similar to Taiwan Noodle House

other possibility is across from New Joe Shanghai, the restaurant that is in that building all by its lonesome, in front of the parking lot and next to the little alley, that may be Taiwanese, I'm not sure

corrections:

that one in the middle of the eastern side of 9th is no more.

the one across from New Joe Shanghai is actually Fukienese.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Herb

Can you expand a little on the differences between the Chinese cuisines found hereabouts?

actually no i can't.

haven't had enough of them.

never had fukienese or taiwanese food. wouldn't mind trying the fukienese sometime though.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.