• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

IT'S-IT

Jason Perlow

I was introduced to this evil ice cream novelty by my Bay Area friends Daiv and Fredlet Golden. Fredlet is the designer of the eGullet logo.

You can't get these on the East Coast, they appear to be avaliable only in the Bay Area.

Every time I go to SF, I have at least 2 or 3 of these.

Who else has this problem?

For those of you who don't know what an IT'S-IT is, its vanilla (or mint) ice cream sandwiched between two really good oatmeal cookies and the whole thing is dipped in chocolate. You can get them at local convenience stores in San Francisco. Messy as hell to eat, but oh so good. I've driven by the factory, I don't think they use modern production methods at all and it remains a family-owned busines.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

They also come in capuccino. They have them at the bodega on my corner. I've asked the fellow there not to sell me any more. He still does. And he still sells me Ben & Jerry's ice cream. Actually, he forces me to buy Ben & Jerry's because I asked him to start carrying it.

The It's-It factory is on highway 101 about 15 minutes south of the city. I'm told you can take a tour.

Here's some more facts about IT'S-IT

Cappuchino? Cool. I gotta try that next time.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Apparently, this place makes ITS-ITS fresh:

Joe's Ice Cream

5351 Geary Blvd. at 18th Avenue

(415) 751-1950

its an old-style ice cream parlor and soda shop.

Wow, check out this cake this person made:

http://www.elegantcheesecakes.com/custom-c...its_it_img.html

Yes, I am too. I missed my yearly pilgrimage to Linux World this year, thus missing my yearly IT'S-IT ration as well.

My family can't be the only one that keeps the chocolate cupcakes in the freezer.

whoa. that sounds like a good idea. are they good?

AMAZING. I would stick with chocolate, though certain family members (their brains addled from growing up in the mid-atlantic), are fond of the sketchier flavors.

The unmatched cheapness of Tastycake cupcakes (so airy!) means that frozen they take on this ineffable, delicate consistency....

bastards! I wanted to gloat about how I can eat ITS-ITS and you can't, but now I just want a tastycake...

... You can't get these on the East Coast, they appear to be avaliable only in the Bay Area....Who else has this problem?

:wub: Ooohhh, I love these. The two cookies, the chocolate coating, and the cold ice cream. They are one of my favorite post-hiking snacks. (No, I don't put them in my pack-every corner store sells them!)

I'm so sorry you can't get them ouside of the Bay Area. I had no idea. How about See's candy-have they introduced you to that? Can you get that outside of California?

See's is no problem, you can mail order it. But I prefer to buy it at a See's store.

thanks to this thread, i had 1 oatmeal cookie and 3 cupcakes from the freezer tonite.  :wacko:

damn you egullet.  damn you straight to hell.

If it makes you feel any better, ever since I wrote the phrase "See's Candy," I have been having a SERIOUS craving for California Brittle. All the shops are closed. It will have to wait.

PS California Brittle is the best See's flavor. Well, one of them, anyway. There's also this one, which is similar, but also has toasted almonds on top.

We need a See's thread!

I've driven by the factory,

stalker. :raz:

Here is what is worse! The cookies are baked about a mile from my home -- I can smell them every morning. The cookies are then shipped to the factory where they are assembled.

Isn't this the perfect thing for Trader Joe's to carry?

The TJs by my house has the Soy Delicious vegan knockoff, for those of us who can't enjoy the sheer decadence of the original anymore. No more meat or dairy, but I still covet...

It's It was an after dinner reward when I was growing up. Mom knew how to dangle the carrot.