• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jagermeister – any fans?

Sweet Willie

Over Labor day weekend we went through 3 bottles of Jagermeister w/some friends.

One of the buddies had a shot that was 2/3 Red Bull and 1/3 Jager. I think he called it a Jager Bomb, no surprise I'm not sure of the name :smile:

Jager or tequila sure has been the choice when shots of alcohol are involved.

on a side note, we played the Jager Olympics. One event was to have a canoe w/an iced bottle of Jager in it anchored out in the lake. On a waverunner, one had to saddle alongside the canoe, pour a shot, come back to the pier, show others you had a full shot, do the shot, then do an antler dance on the waverunner. It was a timed event, quite fun. But after awhile :wacko: woo boy!

http://www.jager.com/

edited to add: lest anyone get the wrong idea, this is NOT my normal weekend! On second thought........

Edited by Sweet Willie (log)
"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

Hi Sweet Willie.

Jäger calls my name from time to time. :wink:

The Jäger Bomb, proper, is a small pony glass filled with the cough like syrup liqueur and served along side of a pint glass filled with about 3 ounces of Red Bull. The proper process is to toast/cheer, carefully clink pony glasses, drop the pony glass into the Red Bull and then consume in one gulp.

The short cut is just pour it in on top of the Red Bull. :biggrin:

I once sold a long time regular my Jäger logo gift cloisonne pin upon his generous $30 offer. When I found a second one, he bought that one too.... Good ole' Uncle Joe. At least he has a drink named after him at the establishment wherein I work/live at. :laugh:

Based on blind testing, Jagermeister is slightly better than NyQuil.

At least, that's how I remember it from college.

Several years ago, we invented our own sporting event, less exciting than your Jager olympics, called the Cynar crossfire challenge. It had something to do with sliding around newly-refinished hardwood floors and falling down a lot. For obvious reasons I no longer remember the details.

What's an antler dance?

While standing one must put their hands (antlers) to their head and turn once around or if on a wave runner, one hand is on the throttle turning the waverunner in a circle and the other hand is doing a 1/2 antler.

It is really just a way of making an already intoxicated person who forgets to do an antler dance even more drunk w/a penalty shot for forgetting.

Several years ago, we invented our own sporting event, less exciting than your Jager olympics, called the Cynar crossfire challenge. It had something to do with sliding around newly-refinished hardwood floors and falling down a lot. For obvious reasons I no longer remember the details.

If you don't remember, how do you KNOW it was less exciting than the Jager Olmpics! :wink::biggrin:

From the grumpy curmudgeon point of view: Jagermeister doesn't get the respect it deserves in the States. I have no idea why a perfectly decent German bitters has turned into a drunken frat boy drink, although I expect those blond, scantily clad "spokeswomen" they started using several years ago may have something to do with it. And nothing deserves to be drowned in a glass of Red Bull, except perhaps vodka.

regards,

trillium

What's an antler dance?

While standing one must put their hands (antlers) to their head and turn once around or if on a wave runner, one hand is on the throttle turning the waverunner in a circle and the other hand is doing a 1/2 antler.

It is really just a way of making an already intoxicated person who forgets to do an antler dance even more drunk w/a penalty shot for forgetting.

Oh! I didn't know that dance had a name.

Noise is music. All else is food.

I agree wholeheartedly with Trillium on respect that Jager deserves.

My personal favorite method of drinking Jagermeister is to wait until it snows, then fill cups with it and have Jager-slushies :wub:

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

i've only had jager when i've already had so much that having it seemed like a good idea. it almost never was. :smile:

a good friend of mine brings a bottle to every party and has a bottle in his freezer at all times, "just in case." :unsure:

it really does taste like cough syrup though, right?

Edited by tommy (log)

• 9 months later...

i love jager - it's the shot i enjoy most (no ick face!).

i can't stand red bull though, and to me the flavor of RB (medicinal) clashes with jager (herbal as trillium says).

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Since Jager has become a "crime against alcohol" I thought I'd bump this one back up to the top.  :raz:

It wasn't supposed to be like this. It wasn't supposed to be like this at all.....

Every conflict and flame war since the beginning of recorded History bears unintentional consequences in the existances of its nameless victims. That victim's name is Jagermeister. Ok, so the victim has a name in this case. You want to make a federal case out of it? Moving ON.

All Jagermeister ever wanted to do was aid the digestion of frat-party patrons*, serve up herbal psychedelic super-freakouts, and provide the USDA recommended daily allowance of German deer blood.

When I began "Crimes Against Alcohol" lo these four or five days ago, I envisioned a harmless thread where we could share a few laughs about using really good tequilla to make Muppets, or like, crazy martini stories, or how the worst drinks I've ever had in my life have occured on seperate occasions at this one guy's parties. Maybe not so much with the snobism thing, but I guess we should have seen that comming.

Not to hurt anyone...least of all Jagermeister.

* The dinners of the frat party goers that is, not the fratists themselves.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Jager's a little too herbal for me, and I don't like it in mixed drinks. Now, Barenjager, that's got honey with the herbs, kind of a German Drambuie. That I like! Hey, it has "jager" in the name, it counts.

Walt

Walt Nissen -- Livermore, CA

Since Jager has become a "crime against alcohol" I thought I'd bump this one back up to the top.   :raz:

It wasn't supposed to be like this. It wasn't supposed to be like this at all.....

Every conflict and flame war since the beginning of recorded History bears unintentional consequences in the existances of its nameless victims. That victim's name is Jagermeister. Ok, so the victim has a name in this case. You want to make a federal case out of it? Moving ON.

All Jagermeister ever wanted to do was aid the digestion of frat-party patrons*, serve up herbal psychedelic super-freakouts, and provide the USDA recommended daily allowance of German deer blood.

When I began "Crimes Against Alcohol" lo these four or five days ago, I envisioned a harmless thread where we could share a few laughs about using really good tequilla to make Muppets, or like, crazy martini stories, or how the worst drinks I've ever had in my life have occured on seperate occasions at this one guy's parties. Maybe not so much with the snobism thing, but I guess we should have seen that comming.

Not to hurt anyone...least of all Jagermeister.

* The dinners of the frat party goers that is, not the fratists themselves.

When I was attending my university studies I couldn't afford to purchase a call or premium brand of liquor. The fraternities or their invited guests drank what was barely drinkable beer or liquor at the most economical cost. Why else was Old Milwaukee Light so popular?

I sure went to the wrong school!

No need to defend your thread. :smile:

I find it humorous to see the perceptions of a very well sold liquor, so I bumped up this oldie.

Isn't it fun to hate what is popular? :rolleyes:

I love Jager. I have a huge 1.5 liter jug of it sitting in my freezer that I have unfortunately been unable to touch for the past year due to its sugar-content. How I miss it so every time I open up that particular freezer...

I also love the inverted deer-head metal shotglasses that I received free when I purchased such a jug of the liquer a while ago. I would love to purchase more of the glasses by themselves, if I had any idea where I could get them.

Jager goes quite well with Dr. Pepper, same proportions as a whiskey and coke.

It is also an essential ingredient in the Third Reich, a shot that was quite popular at parties that I recall, consisting of: Jagermeister, Goldschlager, Rumpleminz, all in equal amounts.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Jager is intensely flavored, sorta medicinal, but what I like about it is how it makes me feel. I can feel my entire body relax after a glass or two. Its theraputic :rolleyes:

Born Free, Now Expensive

Jager was the shot of choice at my favorite horrible dive bar in New Orleans. We would line up at the bar & the shots would come in those plastic test tubes (very similar to what my mom used to give me cough syrup in, a "dosing tube"). The trick was everyone downed them simultaneously, test tube clenched between teeth & no hands allowed. This was the preferred way to start a really FUN evening :raz:

I've only had goldschlager once & it made me scarily loopy -- I can't imagine combining those two plus rumpelmintz! Yikes.

• Like 1

"What, after all, is more seductive than the prospect of sinning in libraries?"

Michael Dirda, An Open Book

Jager was the shot of choice at my favorite horrible dive bar in New Orleans.

Maple Leaf?

Welcome to eGullet Ellen. Always pleased to see a fan of local dumps. :wink:

Snake and Jake's?

Cooter Brown's?

Chart Room?

Carrollton Station?

Nick's Big Train Bar?

Lagniappe?

Johnny White's ?

Saturn Bar?

What, pray tell, is your favorite horrible dive bar in New Orleans? There are so many fine choices.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

They usually have little bottles of the stuff next to the cash register in German Döner shops, as a digestif. Kinda loses its "glamour" that way, just makes me think of old German men and too-heavy lunches.

How does Jager compare to Unterberg? I had my first taste of the latter at the Fancy Food Show -- a perfect venue! -- and loved it. But then, bitter is probably my second favorite flavor (after meat :wink: )

The Jaeger I've had ...

wait a minute, a digression: someone mentioned that the export version we get in the US is different from the real thing in Germany--I find that interesting, especially if the German version isn't as sweet as the american version. but I'm talking about what they sell for $2 a shot at my local dive.

... is herbal, liquorice-y, with a sort of sour citrus flavor way in the background somewhere. And it's pretty sweet.

The main flavoring in Underberg is gentian, which I don't taste much in Jaegermeister. Underberg is a lot more bitter... uh, bitterer?

And Jaegermeister doesn't come in those little mini paper-wrapped bottles.