• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Monster Sushi & Steak

allanl

Along with Sono in millburn there's Samurai Sushi, a relatively new place that was opened by one of the old sushi chef's from Kyoto. I haven't been to Sono in years, but back in the day it was good, but nothing that's extraordinary. I had the Omakase at Monster a couple of months after opening. It didn't impress upon me enough to recall exactly what it was, but i recall it being served on a boat, mostly a mix of nigiri, sashimi and maki, with nothing especially great, inventive or out of the ordinary. Hope you all have fun wherever you go tomorrow.

Yield to Temptation, It may never come your way again.

--Lazarus Long

don't get me wrong Rosie, i enjoyed the sushi at Monster and would go again if i had a hankering and was in the area. Nothing was bad, but if you were looking for something other than good normal sushi, monster wouldn't be it. When i think of Omakase, i think of the sushi chef choosing the freshest fish they have, as well as some interesting/exciting new flavors/dishes/fish. What i had at Monster just seemed like a larger size Sushi combination plate.

I've only been to samurai once, and the menu was similar to Kyoto b/c of the reason i mentioned already. Haven't been there in probably 8months to a year, but it was quite enjoyable when i was there. My standby is Kyoto, which i eat lunch at around once a week.

Edited by Poots (log)

--Lazarus Long

OK(No pun intended) Nouveau is closed for lunch so this is how it goes. We'll meet at 1pm tomorrow at Kyoto. At least we know what we're getting. I have to go to work now as it's 5pm. I'll check when I get home at 11 or 12 to see if that good. So........... Kyoto, Florham Park 1pm. See ya

Info on Kyoto is here and there are some pictures:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...=0entry140201

It's in Florham Park, on Columbia Tpke, in the strip mall opposite Treasure Island, the one with the McDonalds in the parking lot.

Also, it is a hop, skip and a jump from Trader Joe's.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I'd love to join you guys, but i'm off tomorrow to pick up my visa from the Danish consulate in NYC. I'm afraid i'm going to miss Kyoto for quite awhile b/c i'm moving to Denmark for 2 years.

--Lazarus Long