• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Monster Sushi & Steak

allanl

This is going to be interesting, I hope Allan the owner still monitors egullet. I just called to make a reservation for 4 or 5 and was told they don't take reservations for under 8. Then I inquired about omakase and the reservationist replied "ok". I asked for an idea of what it might be, said reservationist replied "ok". I have to get back to work now but will try again later.It's between lunch & dinner now and maybe someone that supposed to monitor the phones is on break at Monster.

"OK" :huh:

Edited by Lreda (log)

You are making me nervous also. I can call tonight and/or we can go someplace else. I'm not the sushi expert so I'll go with the flow. Kyoto was great the last time we were there. It's far but I really liked Mr Pis in Metuchen and it was different.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

there's always that place in montclair who *definitely* has omakase, which presumably consists of some kitchen-type dishes.

although, i hate to see the actions of one bone-headed receptionist ruin the whole place in my mind.

Talking about Dai Kichi?

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

I've never had an omakase tasting at a sushi place, or even really top quality sushi for that matter, but I've been wanting to try a high-end sushi place for some time. If you guys are worried about Monster and there's a better place around, I'd be up for it. I'm not one to throw money around, but it seems like you get what you pay for with sushi.

Edited by pete ganz (log)

there's always that place in montclair who *definitely* has omakase, which presumably consists of some kitchen-type dishes.

although, i hate to see the actions of one bone-headed receptionist ruin the whole place in my mind.

Talking about Dai Kichi?

nah. i'm talking about Nouveau Sushi.

rosie, omakase, generally speaking, will cost whatever you tell them to set the price at. although, i can't imagine getting omakase for less than 50 pp, so that might be a little too rich for lunch.

Edited by tommy (log)

If we decide that we are all scared off of Monster, I have wanted to try Sono which would be right in the same general area (Millburn). I'll vote with the majority on this one...as for my beverage (assuming we stay with a BYO) count me in for bringing a bottle of sake...and yes I am taking the afternoon off this time! :laugh:

A.D.S.

Called at 7 pm tonight asked to speak to Allan. Response, " OK". On hold approx 5 minutes. Gave up. I suggest we get here sometime in the summer.My belief is we move this to Nouveau Sushi in Montclair. I'll call at lunch and post in the afternoon. Worst case senario, we eat sushi, but I think it might be a better quality. I'll hook us all up for the omasake.

Pete, I just got home, you in?

Rock, Millburn is half an hour away from Monster Sushi. I don't consider that too close...If you guys are looking for a better place, go to Sukeroku in Litttle Falls. MUCH better. I feel good about going there since the place is packed with Japanese folks. Sushi for them is not the attraction, even though it is the best in the area. You guys should definately go there instead

Sukeroku Japanese Restaurant

68 Route 23 South, Little Falls, NJ 07424

(973) 785-0479

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Rock, Millburn is half an hour away from Monster Sushi. I don't consider that too close...If you guys are looking for a better place, go to Sukeroku in Litttle Falls.

Oh, I just have to comment on that one, since I grew up in Millburn. They are neighboring towns, and only with horrible traffic would it be a half hour away from anything on Springfield Avenue in Summit. Plus, it's not like they're going to go to Monster Sushi and drive from there to Sono (by the way, I like Sono very much).

And then you go on to recommend a place in Little Falls -- like that isn't far away from Summit? :wacko:

Rock, Millburn is half an hour away from Monster Sushi. I don't consider that too close...If you guys are looking for a better place, go to Sukeroku in Litttle Falls.

Oh, I just have to comment on that one, since I grew up in Millburn. They are neighboring towns, and only with horrible traffic would it be a half hour away from anything on Springfield Avenue in Summit. Plus, it's not like they're going to go to Monster Sushi and drive from there to Sono (by the way, I like Sono very much).

And then you go on to recommend a place in Little Falls -- like that isn't far away from Summit? :wacko:

No fair Rachel - you stole my post :laugh::laugh::laugh: I was about to say I think I could walk from Summit to Millburn in 1/2 hour.

A.D.S.

I'm probably coming, if my ride comes through (we currently only have one car and Jason is selfishly using it to go to work! lol), so let's decide where we are actually going!

I've been to Sono, it is very good. But, I'm willling to try the other places as well. Who's in charge of this thing (not me!)? Make a decision already! :laugh:

4 goddamn pages and we haven't had a morsel of food. :wink: I'm calling Nouveau Sushi in Montclair around lunchtime. Will post shortly after 1 pm. I will inquire about the omakase. This works well for me as you can see this is the place I wanted to go to anyway.

"OK" :raz:

Oh, my bad...I thought you guys were going to the one in Pompton Plains...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson