• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Big Cornbread Debate, Part II

Lady T

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions, Ms. White.

Along with the whole sweet/not-sweet cornbread question comes the argument about "Southerners never use yellow cornmeal; Northerners never use anything but..."

I was raised (in Chicago) to bake a slightly sweet yellow cornbread for breakfasts, and a savory version, still yellow, as a 'goes-with' for lunches and dinners; what's authentic in terms of Southern tradition?

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Hi Lady T,

I grew up in Alabama near the Mississippi border and we ate both; yellow and white cornmeal, leaning toward white more than yellow. Made of course, without a drop of sugar, and with, always, buttermilk.

I grew up hearing that cornbread made with sugar was "Yankee cake."

Things change. Today I prefer yellow cornmeal and use Indian Head stone ground, the closet I can get to my childhood longing. And I make cornbread at least four or five times per week. Better than any baguette of bread, Paris style.