• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

California bay leaves

Ruth

I used to buy California bay (laurel) leaves both fresh and dried and have grown to love them. They have so much more flavor than the Turkish leaves. Now they seem to have disappeared from the markets. Does anyone know where they can be found, either in NYC or by mail order?

Ruth Friedman

You might want to give turkish bay leaves a second chance. When freshly dried and crushed they are wonderfully fragrant when used in cooking. Problem is they lose their flavor in about a year. Try The Spice House in Evanston, Ill., Penzeys, or Kalustyan.

By the way, California bay leaves are a different species.

I just checked and the Spice House carries the California Bay Leaves

Uses

"While most cookbook authors prefer the subtler Turkish bay leaves, we also offer you the option of these far stronger California bay leaves. Their beautiful, long, dark-green leaves make them ideal for craft work such as herbal floral wreaths."

Edited by Wolfert (log)

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

Thank you very much. I know that the California leaves are a different species but I just love their flavor and aroma.

We can send you some fresh ones if you want. There are a couple volunteer bay laurels in our yard--Xan. goes out and just snips what she needs. Let me know.