• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Desperate Measures: Burger Heaven

Fat Guy

Overcoming fear of condiments with Mamster.

+++

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

If you missed the Dinner thread last night, here are some unconventional burgers I made last night when JHlurie was over:

i13.jpg

Beef bacon cheeseburger, with Bobolink Dairy Cheddar

i14.jpg

Spicy Thai Pork Burger #1, with Bumbu Satay (Peanut) Sauce

i15.jpg

Spicy Thai Pork Burger #2, with Coriander Chutney

I'm guessing these are probably Mamster's speed.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Whoa...

I had burgers on Friday night at home... and the killer on 'em was the oak smoked cheddar... it's good too on it's own with a decent shiraz... but yeah, burgers are on.... especially when the bacon's good, and no more than 80% lean mince...

i've got a small mix of dried shrimp and chillies which is real good when lightly fried in peanut oil and thickened with plain yogurt... and it all works well together... no pics though, but a good idea... there should be a burger exhibition on the Gullet :raz:

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

Its basically the Larb Ball recipe but made with 2lbs of ground pork, minus the chicken/turkey, egg, noodles, and with some soy sauce added. We didn't have any fresh thai basil or scallions or fresh cilantro so I didn't use any of that, but it was good without it, I think it would have made it too herby. I used the galangal powder and lemon grass powder for meat seasoning instead of the fresh herbs. I think for 2lbs of ground pork I used like 8 finely chopped thai bird chilies, red and green.

Pre-prepared satay sauce can be found pretty much at any asian grocery. The coriander chutney we bought from an Indian grocery in a jar.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I agree with the pickled green tomato on the burger. I have been eating homemade green tomato relish on burgers (and hot dogs, don't slag me, I'm from the south and don't adhere/understand all the mythical hot dog arguments but I fully support those that do :biggrin: ) for my whole life. If it is made right (slightly tart, spicy with the right amount of pepper, and a little sweet) it is a fine addition to a well made burger. :raz:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

We have a burger tradition down here in Seabrook, Texas called Tookies. They were doing "weird" burgers 25 years ago and are still doing it. The patties are of the thin, grilled until the edges are nicely brown, variety. My all time favorite is the Beany Burger. Said patty has melted cheddar on top. The bun is thickly spread with refried beans... add Fritos (yes... Fritos, kinda stuck into the beans) and hot salsa and you have heaven. Those big ole fried onion rings on the side don't hurt, either.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

May I suggest the "World's First Big Buck's Burger", Codiments R U added. This is the basic original buger prepared at the "21 Club", in NYC where Alcohol Imbibing of Middle Aged Mainstream Men evolved. 1/2 pound lean ground Sirloin is the meat for two Burgers.

The additions to the beef are "Sauted Diced Onions" [4 oz], "Sauted Diced Celery"[2 oz.], "Sauted Diced Curley Parsley"[1 oz.] [prevents onion breath or booze breath] and a dash of Worcestershire Sauce, mixed into the ground Beef and made into two patties.

Cooked on a Heavy Metal Grill or Cast iron Pan, with oiled surface, turned frequently, but not pressed or squooshed to retain the juices. Using a Finger or Back of fork to gauge doneness cook to your taste. The darn things actually are delicious, plus go down well, 2003 called used friendly. Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.