• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caracas Arepa Bar

Pan

I was amazed to find a place on my street listed in "Simply Inexpensive" in the "Dining and Wine" section of the Sunday times. Has anyone been there? Your appraisal?

Michael aka "Pan"

• 10 months later...

Interesting: 137 views and no comments so far. :biggrin:

Well, I've been a few times since I posted on Sep 9 2003, but hadn't been recently. It's a really teeny tiny place and is usually mobbed in the evening. Yesterday, I had lunch there. There were plenty of empty tables and it was a much more relaxed atmosphere. I got an Arepa Puro Monte (sauteed, saucy spicy vegetables with grated guayanes, a salty, relatively strong white cheese) and an Empanada de Cazon (cazon is described on the menu a small-sized shark from the Caribbean). I'd had the Puro Monte before. It's very tasty, especially good with some of the good hot sauce, containers of which are on every table. I also liked the empanada. Its shredded cazon provided a good fish taste, and it was greatly improved by the relatively liberal addition of hot sauce. I had Mangua with the meal, a delicious combination of mango and guava juices with the tangy guava flavor most evident. I had enjoyed the meal so much I decided to have dessert, but I wasn't too hungry, so I opted for a sampling of three desserts. One was undoubtedly two small slices of what's described on the menu as Bienmesabe - wet cake with coconut milk, shredded coconut, rum and meringue on top - minus the meringue, but with the addition of some bracingly salty and slightly musty-tasting (? I don't know how to describe this - earthy?) guayanes. Next to it on the small oval-shaped wooden dish were two really good Besidos de Coco ("Coconut kisses"), better known to me in their Jamaican versions as "coconut drops." These are combinations of sugar and shredded coconut - but it tasted like molasses was used in this case. There was also a lemony cookie with some kind of jam (guava jam, I think). I was too full to finish the cookie, but it was nice.

The whole meal cost $14 and change, not including tip.

I recommend going there for lunch. It was very civilized. I do have to add, though, that this is not low-fat food, especially the empanada, which is deep-fried. So if oil is tough on your stomach, be warned.

Eat in/take out. No delivery. [Edit: Yes, delivery too.]

Here's their website.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

I guess I'm operating on a misconception. Their menu says "take out dine in hang out chill in." Whoops - I missed the "free delivery (cash only)" in the corner. It's not so small, either, for a tiny-sized menu...

Michael aka "Pan"

Had a great dinner here with my roommate a few months ago. Tasty, cheap food, and really extraordinary service: the waitress not only offered very helpful suggestions and explanations about the food, she even comped us a free desert! I also found the arepas notably superior to the ones a couple blocks away at Flor's.

Thanks for bumping this thread and reminding me I need to get back here soon!

I also love this place .. but have only been a few times. I always get the same thing - the empandada stuffed with shredded beef,cheese, and plantain. As Pan said, they're deep fried .. its really like eating a donut stuffed with meat, which is pretty awesome. And I like the byob policy too.

i love that place..and yes it is tiny but i happened to be there one saturday afternoon where the owner was there and had a nice conversation with him about his time in venezuela and how he wanted to bring arepas to ny...he is planning on opening more or expanding...

ps the one with the guacamole was my favorite...a fun food experience for those who havent been..definitely go ..and make sure you sit at the bar so you can watch them make them....