• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Breakfast(s) in the South

Holly Moore

And as the South serves the best breakfasts in the U.S. and quite possibly the world, I'm talking the best breakfasts, period.

I can't decide between Skinhead's in Paduccah KY where the aroma of country ham acookin' fills the parking lot and the Loveless Cafe, where the country ham is just as good and the biscuits come by the dozen to be sopped in Red Eye gravy and topped with homemade preserves.

Any other contenders out there?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

There are countless local places with great breakfasts. In fast foods, I have never found better than the Hardee's chain. Their biscuits can't be beat.

I have eaten at many of them and only one dissapointed me. In Martinsburg, WV, there was a Hardee's that served CANNED BISCUITS. I'm still trying to get over it.

Martinis don't come from vodka and bacon don't come from turkeys!

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised you have not generated more replies; perhaps "best" is too daunting. If you find yourself in Savannah, the only choice is The Breakfast Club on Tybee Island.

As for chains (which I suspect you avoid), I think Cracker Barrel has good ham.

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

In New Orleans, take the time to catch breakfast to lunch at Elizabeth's, in the Bywater. All one can say is 'oh...my...Gawd...'

Real Food Done Real Good :wub:

They have the food booth at the Bywater Art Market, and my husband is checking on the ham biscuit status, even as he lugs my stuff past their tent to ours. :rolleyes: A huge sigh of relief goes up when someone can say 'the biscuits are here!' :biggrin:

Screw Cracker Barrel.  I am not being an anti-chain snob, but you can do better ...

My problem with Cracker Barrel is it is just so forced corporate hokey. Like someone said to a New York designer, build me a place where those hicks at Petty Coat Junction would feel comfortable eating.

One last note about "the southern breakfast" you might want to take one facet and focus on that i.e. "the best sausage, egg and cheese biscuit" or "the best grits" b.c. I say eggs are pretty universal...

In my ideal Southern Breakfast I don't have to waste time focusing because it's all there on the table in front of me. :smile:

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

In my ideal Southern Breakfast I don't have to waste time focusing because it's all there on the table in front of me. :smile:

Hallelulah Holly! I couldn't agree more.

Completely unrelated note for Holly:

Thanks for the Sweatman's BBQ review on Holly Eats. Stopped in there on the way to see family in SC. Holy smokes that was some good Q. You were on the money. It's up there with Allen and Sons. Thanks again.