• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food for a broken heart

Rover

I keep thinking that food lust will grab me ... but it doesn't. Even my cooking skills seem to have taken a hike. There have been some truly embarassing failures recently - so ..... What should I cook? Are there some ideas and food faves to salve the wounded heart blues? And ... cooking for just one person after all this time? I wonder if something completely new and untried would be the right thing. :sad:

When I've got the blues, I go buy a brand new, expensive cookbook that I've wanted for some time, but haven't allowed myself the luxury of purchasing.

And then I get totally engrossed in selecting one or two new recipes to try.

But just in case I can't work up the energy to hit the kitchen, I also buy some really good, decadent stuff that doesn't require any cooking.

Like good cheeses and pates and caviar and smoked salmon - stuff that makes me feel like I'm treating myself to the sorts of things rock stars demand in their limos.

For one thing, stuff like expensive cheese and pate is too expensive for me to buy for two.

But I can easily afford it just for myself.

And it cheers me right up.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Like good cheeses and pates and caviar and smoked salmon -  stuff that makes me feel like I'm treating myself to the sorts of things rock stars demand in their limos.

If you look at the Smoking Gun this isn't really the type of stuff most rock stars demand. More along the lines of Cereal and Fruit Juices.

Bill Russell

homemade hot chocolate with real whipped cream and hazelnut liqueur. That usually solves mine.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

The best creme brulee I can find. It's not better than love or sex but it sure fills the void for me (for a short while) and it's less destructive than other.....uhhhhh...... ingestibles (the ones I relied on in my previous life).

Treat yourself to some nice meals out.  Try some places that were too expensive for 2 people.  Focus on the menu, the ambience -- have some new dishes you've never tried.

That's what I do. And let them fuss over you -- that helps. And then savour the leftovers the next day. And then try to duplicate the recipe.

It's ritual for me.

First, I write poetry. Really awful stuff that provides outlet for the emotion. Nothing you'd ever want to read.

Then I bake bread. I zen out and knead out whatever the issue is while working the dough and the oven. It takes hours, and the time is good.

Finally, I eat. The bread. Some cheese. Smoked fish.

If that doesn't work, I get drunk and sleep with a stranger and bake more bread the next day.

Edited by mcdowell (log)

Are there some ideas and food faves to salve the wounded heart blues?

When I had a broken heart, I dropped out of college, moved to the city, and went to culinary school.

He came back. :wink:

Noise is music. All else is food.

In the past, I've gone for pure comfort food - macaroni and cheese, chicken noodle soup, mashed potatoes, and of course liberal doses of chocolate. That, and all the things the ex didn't enjoy eating that I did - I reveled at not having to go to Sizzler ever again, ate all the sushi I could stand, ate piles of cucumbers without having to endure averting of the eyes.

I also found the Heartbreak Handbook helped a lot. That and time.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Live on junk food for a while. Chicken wings, Big Macs, bad Chinese. You don't feel like cooking, nothing tastes good, you have other worries. You need a bender.

Eventually, probably sooner than later, you'll find yourself drifting into a farmer's market or driving over to Le Gourmet and buying something tasty, healthy and simple to prepare. You'll make an omlette with fresh arugula and mangoes on the side or a linguini with chopped fresh tomatos and basil, and thick slab of home-made garlic bread, and the recovery will have begun.

Avoid gin and Neil Young.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

This is a true story.

I don't know if it would be practical for everyone, but it worked for me.

The last time I had a "broken heart," was some thirty years ago. I discovered my beloved back in a bedroom making out with a stewardess at a party we had attended.

I dumped him.

But it was difficult. I still loved him. And I kept running into him everywhere. And we had the whole "who gets the friends" thing going on. It was very unpleasant.

So I packed up and moved to Hong Kong. By myself.

On the plane, the absolutely astounded middle-aged woman sitting next to me simply could not get over the fact that I was moving to Hong Kong. Where I knew no one, had no job, was not certain even where I would live.

"What on earth would possess you to do such a thing," she asked.

"Well," I answered, "Because it's a hell of a lot easier to forget about someone when you're landing at Kai Tak Airport."

The end of the story is that six months later he flew to Hong Kong and got me, and we got married, and stayed married for 25 years.

At which time, I finally wised up and left the shit for good.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Y'know ... a bender has some appeal. I really hadn't considered that and there's a lot of merit in those food suggestions, too. I've got arugula in the garden and the omlette sounds pretty good.

I know a couple of single people who make a point of celebrating dinner for themselves. Why treat yourself as someone who doesn't rate cooking a great meal for? I love the theory and I do hope I'll get to it. I don't think we're speaking of many courses and elaborate ingredients - but fresh and simply prepared food; it's dinner and not just fodder in front of the tv.

mcdowell - I haven't made bread in years...what an inspiration (especially as bread headed the forbidden list) and I can recall that can't-be-compared-to-anything feeling about one's own well made bread. Thanks!

Lady T - I'll revisit George & Mark, great suggestion.

Pie!

Thanks for all the great suggestions ... and the support; it really does help.

Rover

Avoid gin and Neil Young.

But embrace bourbon and Leonard Cohen.

Word.

And get back in the saddle.

My advice would be to avoid Southern Comfort and Neil Young. Avoid Webb Pierce, as well ("There stands the glass, it's my first one today").

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"