• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Your Own Matzoh

Liza

I remember doing it as a kid. The blister you can get from cooking it on a stone is really nice, plus homemade matzoh is chewier rather than crackery. It makes for a decent lavosh-type sandwich base. Too bad chickpeas are not acceptable in my (Ashkenazic, obviously) tradition because it'd be delicious on homemade matzohs.

Homemade matzohs are much, much better eaten fresh from the oven btw. As are most things imo.

• 2 months later...

Nope, sorry. Matzo meal is just ground up matzos, which are made from wheat flour. I don't think there's a way to mimic matzo balls without wheat, unfortunately.  :sad:

Speaking of matzo, one of the dishes I love for breakfast anytime of the day is matzo brie.  My technique for this produces uneven results.  I'd love to hear from anyone who's got a great recipe and technique for matzo brie, including which brand of matzo tastes best (assuming I won't make my own).