• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baking In Soul Food

elyse

Welcome to eGullet!

A conversation I just had with a woman I know made me wonder what cookie types might be typical in soul food. I recently started a baking venture, and cookies are a large part of it. The more interesting variations, the better!

Hi Elyse,

You need to run out right now and buy my new dessert cookbook, "Brown Sugar." Got scores of cookie recipes in there; all sweet and soulful, including the mother of them all: Tea Cakes.

This old plantation favorite is real popular down home. I feature a variation made with grated lemon peel and coriander. Perfect with iced or hot tea. The recipe for these cookies, Lemon Coriander Tea Cakes is in eGullet's recipe archive.

Other popular soul cookies are Sand Tarts, Cocoa Cookies, and some old family favorites: Sesame wafers, Molasses Lace Cookies, and Lemon Wafers. Go!