• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is the most embarrassing

torakris

I came in the house and thought a skunk had killed one of our kitties. Alas, it was not to be, despite that the vet bill would be cheaper than stripping and restaining the woodwork.

Your vet can bring kitties back to life?

Whoa!

Noise is music. All else is food.

The can of Spam, sitting in the very back of the pantry where no one could accidentally find it. My husband is of the opinion that every home needs a can of Spam - not to eat, but just on principle :blink: But then, he also owns a lava lamp, so what can I say.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Heather, not only do we consume Jif in this house, I dared to put our Costco-sized jar into one of the images in my vegetarian cooking class. Jif pride!

I make my own jam though, so it's all good. :cool:

I'm not embarrassed about anything in my kitchen. Among the more "objectionable" items: There's a bunch of Costco Boca burgers and some Morningstar Farms vegetarian sausages in the freezer. Many many big bottles of diet soda for my partner, who is on a Diet Mt Dew kick these days. Instant hot chocolate for snowy days when somebody besides me decides to make the stuff; I prefer Ibarra (we have two boxes of Ibarra). Kraft Singles for the occasional egg and cheese sammich breakfast or grilled cheese.

those little packets of duck sauce and hot mustard from the chinese place.  gotta save 'em.

Please bring them to the pig event on the 21st. We can all have fun jumping on them and getting them to squirt in all directions.

i'll add this to my current list of children's activities (lawn darts, firecrackers, packets of duck sauce).

Annie's Homegrown [Totally Natural & Made w/ Organic Pasta]

Microwavable (the most offensive part of this) Single Servings

Mac & Cheese Meals.

Mix it with frozen peas, a little plain kefir and it is a quick fix meal for my two year old. And her finicky gal pals.

And since it is a single serving, I don't have those horrid leftovers! This is good for two meals per kid. Maybe 3.

Annie's Homegrown [Totally Natural & Made w/ Organic Pasta]

Microwavable (the most offensive part of this) Single Servings

Mac & Cheese Meals.

Mix it with frozen peas, a little plain kefir and it is a quick fix meal for my two year old. And her finicky gal pals.

And since it is a single serving, I don't have those horrid leftovers! This is good for two meals per kid. Maybe 3.

miiki

welcome to egullet!

Anyone with little kids in the house gets a little leeway here :biggrin:

I have boxes of mac and cheese and luckily my 3 kids can finish up one box among the 3 of them so I don't have leftovers!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

After hearing all about Trader Joe's (from eG and from friends who just returned from CA), I was planning to make it one of my destinations the next time I'm in Chicago. Now, I'm scared.

How does a bottle of salad dressing blow up?

Honey, don't be alarmed. There are warning signs. It separated in the bottle, which was in plain view and I ignored it. Separation is easily detectable. Green water/green herbs. Very easy to see. If you see that, take it back. One of the great things about TJ's is that they take stuff back (like Costco) without a receipt, especially if if has their name on it.

Emeril's Marinara Sauce. :shock:

I know, I know, don't yell at me. But during the summer months at the beach there's no way I'm coming in from a day in the sun and making sauce for the young'uns for their "quick, hurry up, before we go to the arcade, pasta dinner".

I think it's time to retire Emeril and make my own. Kitchen has cooled down and the arcade fascination has worn off.

My roommate loves junk food and Special K.

As for myself, its Mrs. Dash, Cup O'Noodles and jars of pre-cooked Campbell's Soup.  The ones in the Mason jars.

Soba

You know what's more embarrassing than Special K? the Special K with the freeze-dried berries mixed in. Not only is it embarrassing, but it's nasty.

Tommy, I don't know what's more embarrassing -- Coffeemate or Fat Free Half & Half.

you know what's more embarassing than Special K? A box of Special K that's been left open on top of the kitchen counter. We now have a mouse problem because my roommate is incredibly forgetful. How many times I've told him -- if you're going to eat Ovaltine out of the container straight, the least you could do is to wash the fucking spoon when you're done instead of leaving it lying on top of the (hopefully closed) container. Ditto for the boxes of Special K. Close the box and stow it away, lame-o. Throw away the empty cookie and junk food boxes instead of leaving them on top of the counters.

Oh, and two glue traps on top of the kitchen counter isn't going to make the mouse problem go away, dumbass. Try cleaning up the mouse droppings and being clean for once.

I'd move out in a heartbeat except that the apartment is in a great location for the price that I'm paying, not to mention that he's a great roommate in other respects...that is when he isn't so fucking forgetful.

end of rant

Soba

The most embarassing thing in my kitchen is the dirty floor--dog hair, not cat hair--and the compost bucket beside the sink. I try to carry it out to the chickens every day, but . . .

OH, and that pile of incinerated peach pie runover in the oven. In the not-self-cleaning oven. At least it doesn't smoke any more when I turn the oven on.

And the cloud of fruit flies that appear out of nowhere any time any vegetable comes in from the garden.

I have some packs of ramen noodles and maybe some mac and cheese stuff, but I wouldn't rush to hide them if anyone came over.

sparrowgrass