• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is the most embarrassing

torakris

Now is this the most embarrasing thing I have in the kitchen, or the most embarrasing thing in there period?

I must confess that my wife did the last round of groc harvesting due to my hours at work.

The most embarrasing thing I have in there is the jar of pre-chopped garlic. The most embarrasing thing in there is the Lasagna Hamburger Helper, or the instant mashed potatoes - I'm not sure.

I live with a heathen, as you can tell. I'm Cajun. She grew up in a house that considered celery salt seasoning, and frozen pizza was a treat. But I love her anyway. I have gotten her mostly out of the habit of the Chef Boy Ar Dee pizza in a box, at least...

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Let's see.....I also have Jif. Crunchy. (I read the label the other day and thought and it just said peanuts and salt--I will check that again. BUT...I have a 99% empty jar in kitchen and 3 more Costco sized jars in pantry...) :wub:

Canned ready to heat soup ready to grab a can on the way out the door for lunch at work. And canned pork n beans....(Bush's not Campbell's, the only possible mitigating factor)

Flavored yogurt in fridge (but it's organic!!!) Slightly off greens-me too. I stew them with oil and garlic, or possibly bacon.

I stashed my "soft drink"/"soda pop" hoard in BR, so it's exempt from this inquiry, right? :rolleyes:

Hallmark storage jar with saccharine cartoon bears--but it keeps the flaxseed fresh! :laugh:

Oh, yeah--SARDINES! well, they have lots of Omega 3 and if you use ENOUGH DIJON MUSTARD (French's brand of course, and I have their Ballpark too!) and put crumbs on top and broil, it's a good snack. :unsure: protein, all that.....

Rationalize, rationalize, rationalize........

Oh, yeah--SARDINES!  well, they have lots of Omega 3 and if you use ENOUGH DIJON MUSTARD (French's brand of course, and I have their Ballpark too!) and put crumbs on top and broil, it's a good snack.    :unsure:  protein, all that.....

Hey, what's wrong with sardines? I never thought of them as something to be embarrassed about. :unsure: We have several kinds on hand - our fave is the kind packed with chilies. Of course we eat them on Saltines...are those embarrassing too?

Thanks for the broiling tip - sounds GOOD.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Oh, yeah--SARDINES!  well, they have lots of Omega 3 and if you use ENOUGH DIJON MUSTARD (French's brand of course, and I have their Ballpark too!) and put crumbs on top and broil, it's a good snack.    :unsure:  protein, all that.....

Hey, what's wrong with sardines? I never thought of them as something to be embarrassed about. :unsure: We have several kinds on hand - our fave is the kind packed with chilies. Of course we eat them on Saltines...are those embarrassing too?

DITTO. I love canned sardines! Of course they're not as wonderful as grilled fresh sardines served with a salad of puntarelle . . . but what is???

quoting Suzanne F: 

QUOTE (hjshorter @ Sep 10 2003, 06:57 PM)

QUOTE (klc14 @ Sep 10 2003, 05:12 PM)

Oh, yeah--SARDINES!  well, they have lots of Omega 3 and if you use ENOUGH DIJON MUSTARD (French's brand of course, and I have their Ballpark too!) and put crumbs on top and broil, it's a good snack.      protein, all that.....

Hey, what's wrong with sardines? I never thought of them as something to be embarrassed about.  We have several kinds on hand - our fave is the kind packed with chilies. Of course we eat them on Saltines...are those embarrassing too?

DITTO. I love canned sardines! Of course they're not as wonderful as grilled fresh sardines served with a salad of puntarelle . . . but what is??? 

OK, I will be proud of my Sardines! Hmm.. Sardines on Saltines--I'll try that too. (The broiling tip actually comes from Arthur Schwartz, What to Cook (When You Think There's Nothing in the House to Eat). You have to admit that canned sardines define "strong fishy odor" or maybe it's just the brand I've got....I'll have to look into the fresh sardine angle too.

But this morning I reread the JIF label--WHERE were my glasses last time! Still, "studies have shown" peanut butter does not have the bad effect of other transfatty acid bearing foods (Prevention Mag, following up on a peanut producer study). So I will enjoy my pb for better or worse.

It's comfort protein! And good with chocolate!

Dudes, I have a lot of this stuff in my kitchen. We must be in "different places in life," if JIF and Ramen and Cup O'Noodles are embarrassing! :biggrin:

I'm cleaning out the refrigerator when I get home. Sure to be some finds in there.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Coffee-mate.

Hell, if it's powdered coffee-mate, no shame -- I've used that to make my own versions of those instant "international coffees". (Whip that through a food processor with some instant coffee, cocoa, and a candy cane, and you have mocha mint coffee mix. Et Cetera.)

I'm not embarassed about anything in my kitchen -- if I can do something with it, then good. And, sometimes you just NEED fake cheese and things in "spice packets".

Speaking of more embarrassing things, :blink: I suppose the bottled dressings in the refrig could count. Well, there's only one atm and only because I was kind of curious one day what it would taste like. (Newman's Own, for those of you who care. :wink: ) Actually, it's pretty good...for a run-of-the-mill bottled dressing that's not too far off the mark from the usual non-creamy "Italian".....which is a long way of saying that it's just ok.

Soba

I'm not embarassed about anything in my kitchen -- if I can do something with it, then good.  And, sometimes you just NEED fake cheese and things in "spice packets".

That's a great attitude. I'd like to think that way too, but I still have these visions of Jinmyo opening my refrigerator and having a heart attack.

Can of Campbells pork & beans. fry up some cubed Schaller & Weber double smoked slab bacon and onions and the P&Bs are almost paletable!

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

OH, and that pile of incinerated peach pie runover in the oven.  In the not-self-cleaning oven.  At least it doesn't smoke any more when I turn the oven on.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

My last pie that runneth over was blackberry. Juicy little bastards!

My oven still smokes. :hmmm:

There is nothing in my kitchen. Seriously, I have five beers, one yellow onion, and a little bit of Tilamook sharp cheddar cheese.

That's pretty embarrassing.

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

Beans, turn the oven up as high as it will go, open all the windows, crank the fan up to Mach 2, and go sit on the front porch with a book for an hour or so. (Disconnect the smoke alarm, too, unless you like loud noises.)

After it cools, get the vacuum out and suck up all the ash--you may need a spatula to loosen some of it.

Then you are good to go, at least until you bake another pie.

Martha Stewart ain't got nothin on me.

sparrowgrass

Beans, turn the oven up as high as it will go, open all the windows, crank the fan up to Mach 2, and go sit on the front porch with a book for an hour or so.  (Disconnect the smoke alarm, too, unless you like loud noises.)

Or, you could try putting a baking soda and water paste on the spots and letting them hang out for a while wetting them when they dry out. Baking soda is an amazing thing to me.

There is nothing in my kitchen.    Seriously, I have five beers, one yellow onion, and a little bit of Tilamook sharp cheddar cheese. 

That's pretty embarrassing.

That's the start of a good beer-cheese soup!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Dog hair. Clean pots, pans and dishes waiting to be put away. I usually have a pile of dirty dishes, but some mice just moved in this past week. The mice always seem to appear around this time of year; they disappear soon after realizing there's no food for them. Embarrassing food items include leftovers in the fridge waiting for next Tuesday's trash pickup along with expired dairy items and dried up veggies. 2-year old tasso in the freezer. Brown bananas in the freezer (not even in freezer bags, just whole in their peels). Nesvita instant cereal. Freezer-burned Haagen-Dazs Pistachio ice cream. Chunk light tuna that I bought for the dogs, but even they won't eat that crap.

Most of the embarrassing stuff in my kitchen is due to my three housemates. Commercial meat pies in the freezertonic water (I Hate the stuff), Froot Loops, cheap strawberry jam, popcorn salt... we make a point of laughing at each other's food quirks. That's why the four of us have stayed together as a household through the last two moves. :wink:

I don't regard this as an embarrassing thing to find in my kitchen, but I deliberately went out and bought some instant mashed potatoes. Just so I could mix some up and add some white truffle oil, for the ultimate Meal Of Irony - it's almost lethal that way. :laugh:

" ..Is simplicity the best

Or simply the easiest

The narrowest path

Is always the holiest.. "

--Depeche Mode - Judas

frying some chicken wings when the oil suddenly pops up due to water droplets in the chicken.

oil flies into mid-air and hits me right smack on the forehead.

ended up with 3 burnt marks on my head for days.

AND I HAD TO GO TO A MUSICAL THE NEXT NIGHT!!!

All of the usual culprits... (I love Jif) but the kicker has to be the chartreuse Kitchen Aid mixer.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Two cases of pork-flavored Mama brand ramen noodles.

What did mama ever do to hurt anyone? I love MaMa almost as much as I love my mama, especially the shrimp tom yum in the space age foil packaging.

i've got a 2 year old box of corn pops in the pantry. i love corn pops, and can't bring myself to throw this out, even though it's stale.

cat hair tumbleweeds in the corner by the fridge

manischewitz pancake mix

frozen tater tots

side towels from various kitchens that i've worked at

a 1 gallon jug of sweet baby ray's bbq sauce

2 jars of nutella, with Kobe's smiling mug on the label

disgruntledgrunt

"You don't win friends with salad...

you don't win friends with salad..."