• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your region and favorite apple

PastryLady

Lucky Ashen if she can get Russets. Used to be my favorite. Haven't seen one in a couple of decades.

Never heard of most of the apples named in this topic.

I can name an apple I don't like: Delicious. :angry:

Our two best apple trees are the Mackintosh :wub: and the Northern Spy :wub: :wub: , right in the backyard. No spraying nor nothing. Our farm is the old

"Salter place" and our farmhouse is the second house on the property and it's 100 years old in 2014. We have 19 apple trees on our property and the only ones I can name are the two in our back yard.

We have been making apple juice for a few years now. And I am about to start the process once again.

Oops. Sorry. East Central Ontario.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Lucky Ashen if she can get Russets. Used to be my favorite. Haven't seen one in a couple of decades.

He actually. :wink:

I am pretty sure there are some orchards near bowmanville that have limited availabitly for Russets if you really want to source them.

I found out quite recently that there are actually a few different types of Russets. I now know that my preferred type are Egremont Russets.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Denmark - a local apple called Ingrid Marie: not overly sweet and very aromatic. Quite short season. And in our garden we have a red delicious-tree. I amamazed at how tasty these are compred to the commercial ones. The climate in Denmark is ideal for apples if you like aromatic and not too sweet

He actually. :wink:

I am pretty sure there are some orchards near bowmanville that have limited availabitly for Russets if you really want to source them.

I found out quite recently that there are actually a few different types of Russets. I now know that my preferred type are Egremont Russets.

Sir, thanks for the info. As you know, we are near Bowmanville although the search may have to wait for next year.

Sorry about the gender confusion. :sad:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Wisconsin, McIntosh is my favorite, and Cortlands for baking. The kids like Jonathons and Empire.

Darienne, our house turns 100 next year - no apple trees, but more than two dozen rhubarb plants :)

Perhaps we should have a party with apple and rhubarb desserts. We have several patches of 100 year old rhubarb plants but we don't do rhubarb and every year I try to give it away but can find no takers. What a shame.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Tho not my favorites, red delicious are crisp, juicy, tasty and good right after harvest. Its a month or two down the line that the flavor and texture start to go.

Golden Delicious also good for a few weeks in the fall before they start going icky.

Fujis seem to be all sugar and no flavor.

I too miss pippins.

Galas are pretty good.

So Cal.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.