• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Does A Clean Bathroom Equal A Clean Kitchen?

ambra

i sure hope the line cooks ain't scrubbing toilets in the middle of service.

This cracked me so much when I read it, because at the last restaurant I was working at, my boss tried to make me do exactly this.

I would clean the bathroom (we only had one) before service started, and then I would return to my busy busy position in the kitchen. And then the owner, who would spend all his time wandering around and chatting with patrons, would frequently notice (or perhaps be told) that the bathroom was looking a little dirty, and wander into the kitchen and tell me to go mop the bathroom when I had a whole line-up of orders to get to. It would take all I had to hold back my urge to scream at all, "Can't you see I'm busy? Why don't You go clean the bathroom!" I hated him so much.

For the record, we always kept our kitchen very well-cleaned, but as long as I was there, we never managed to find a way to keep our one single use bathroom looking nice for an entire service. Even if people were scheduled to go check it out and tidy it up at regular intervals, you can never tell when somebody gross is going to go in there and make it icky. They might go gross it up immediately after you've cleaned it, and then it will continue to look icky until the next scheduled check-up time.

Umm...I guess, I would have to say that no, I don't think a bathroom is always a good indicator of a kitchen's cleanliness.

How about this: If the bathroom's dirty, the kitchen is dirty. If the bathroom's clean, then the kitchen is probably clean.

You can't tell if the kitchen is clean unless you go into the kitchen. Who wouldn't let you look around unless they were ashamed of the way it looks? Go ahead, ask.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

most restaurantuers have heard this theory, and therefore they are very particular about the cleanliness of the bathroom. sometimes this transfers into the kitchen, but not always. i say, if the bathrooms dirty, the kitchen probably is too. if the bathrooms clean, its 50/50.

You can't tell if the kitchen is clean unless you go into the kitchen. Who wouldn't let you look around unless they were ashamed of the way it looks? Go ahead, ask

I agree fully. But don't chat up the chef too much. He's busy