• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Does A Clean Bathroom Equal A Clean Kitchen?

ambra

If there is already a thread about this, please forgive me.......

My brother used to tell me that if you want to know if the kitchen is clean, check the restrooms. If they are well kept, most likely the kitchen is too. Anybody else got a good way to tell- besides walking in the kitchen?

(Obviously, I've had a couple of bad experiences lately.)

Bourdain commented on this in Kitchen Confidential, something to the effect of "Bathrooms are expected to be seen by the customers, and are easy to clean. Kitchens on the other hand are not usually seen by the customers, and are difficult to clean." You do the math.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

My brother used to tell me that if you want to know if the kitchen is clean, check the restrooms. If they are well kept, most likely the kitchen is too.  Anybody else got a good way to tell- besides walking in the kitchen?

Your brother's "logic" makes about as much sense as "If someone's breathe smells refreshing, then their ass must smell the same."

I think he was just trying to say, they could possibly have a developed habit of keeping things clean.

But what =Mark said Bourdain says makes WAY more sense then what my bro said.

Edited by ambra (log)

Interesting.

I'll tell ya, our kitchen got a 100% on our last 4 surprise health inspections. Our CEC takes tremendous pride and has done very well to keep all in line with cleanliness routine. However, I'm not so sure about our cleaning crew and their level of pride while mopping down the toilets. They are clean, but get a look at any of the corners or where a moulding (sp?) is in contact with the tile flooring.... :wacko:

edit: typo :angry:

Edited by beans (log)

I think he was just trying to say, they could possibly have a developed habit of keeping things clean.

I don't doubt that your brother was well-intentioned in what he said.

However, check out some of the health inspection reports for restaurants in your area, if you can.

In the reports for the county I live in, one of the respected "finer" dining establishments--with very clean bathrooms--constantly receives multiple writeups for critical health violations. The actuality of this has been confirmed by personal conversations with employees.

There's just no logic for a correlation between the cleanliness of bathrooms & the kitchen.

Your brother's "logic" makes about as much sense as "If someone's breathe smells refreshing, then their ass must smell the same."

:biggrin::laugh:

ROFLMAO!

:biggrin::laugh:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Although, if the bathrooms are foul, you do have to wonder about the kitchen.

only if you assume that the same people who are cleaning the kitchen are cleaning the bathroom, and beyond that, that they have the same standards for each. i sure hope the line cooks ain't scrubbing toilets in the middle of service.

Edited by tommy (log)

My brother used to tell me that if you want to know if the kitchen is clean, check the restrooms. If they are well kept, most likely the kitchen is too.  Anybody else got a good way to tell- besides walking in the kitchen?

OMG, you're killin' me! Truer words were never spoken, :laugh:

"CLEAN BATHROOMS=CLEAN KITCHEN, True or Not True?"

As a mathematician, I must point out that the equality does not hold. If you clean the bathroom, the kitchen does not automatically become clean. You have to clean them both separately.

Wish it were otherwise, but....

Bruce

NeroW, that makes sense: that's where the warm moist air is.  (See, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you shower daily.  :wink: )

Bruce, you any relation to the Rabbi here in NYC, and Fay?

Taking a bath and watching the dough, that's the best.

I don't know about this recurring bathroom vs. kitchen debate. Wasn't there a rather nasty thread on this before? Back in the days when tommy was a po-liceman?

In my own home, when I clean the kitchen floors and whatnot, I clean the bathroom floors and whatnot too.

I would say they are equally clean.

Noise is music. All else is food.

When my kids were little I would eat in my bathroom to escape them. They followed me like a shadow everywhere. :wacko: Now they are teenagers and they eat in their bedrooms. I find disgusting things in there. Scary.

While I would not want to eat in a Restaurant's restrooms, a dirty restroom would turn me off to eating there. This said by a person who carries a purse size Purell with me "just in case".

What puts me off even more is seeing a kitchen staff member come out of the sink-less restroom and go directly back to work without using the outside-the-restrooms sink. I will no longer eat at the Miracle Grill on First Avenue (NYC) because of that and other poor but less dangerous behavior.

Bruce, you any relation to the Rabbi here in NYC, and Fay?

Rumor is that there is a relation, some four generations back. But there's no proof, and no one is digging through the--scant--genealogical records looking for proof.

Bruce