• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worst coffee in the world

fresco

I once made the mistake of ordering a cup of coffee at London's Victoria Station. When I took a sip, I thought they'd made some horrible mistake and given me something else, but the server assured me it was what they knew as coffee. It tasted like they'd brewed up Postum with Marmite--absolutely unrecognizable as being in the same family with any coffee I'd had anywhere else in the world.

Where did you experience truly, memorably terrible coffee?

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

The worse coffee I have ever had was in a restaurant chain called "Silver Spurs" in New York City. It is a chain of diners meant to emulate the fifties and their coffee is terrible. I am a true coffee junkie and whenever we go back, I am tempted to try again. I am always sorry I did.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Any vending machine that serves Coffee, Hot Cocoa, and Chicken soup from the same spout.

But the chicken soup from those machines is soooo good :wink: .

At a lot of restaurants in Mexico they serve Nescafe. They actually bring you a cup of hot water and the bottle of Nescafe so that you can add as much as you want :wacko: .

Starbucks.

I think it is crap and expensive.

I still buy it some time just so I end up hanging out there.(nice chicks)

When I drank it 2 days in a row, I could not stand the smell of the place for 2 weeks.

The other horrible coffee was a vending machine at work. The machine itself is fine, the coffee was weak but could be used to strip paint the cafine content was so high.

The worst coffee I get is ironically at my favorite breakfast greasy spoon... It's a place now called Dimitris, but it will always be George's to me...They have breakfast called the Roundhouse that is 2 eggs, 2 pieces of bacon, two sausage links, 2 big pieces of ham, all on top of cheese covered hash browns (the best I've had) and four pieces of toast....I can't get enough of them, but their coffee tastes like they purposefully brew in a couple days in advance and let it sit, scorching overnight...ewwww....

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

Starbucks.

When I drank it 2 days in a row, I could not stand the smell of the place for 2 weeks.

The other horrible coffee was a vending machine at work.  The machine itself is fine,  the coffee was weak but could be used to strip paint the cafine content was so high.

I agree, I absolutely hate Starbuck's coffee!! But the worst coffee I've ever had, by far, was at work - we had that Green Mountain French Roast. 1) I can't stand French Roast, and 2) for some reason, that stuff smelled like fish!! I couldn't even stand the smell of it, let alone stomach a cup of it. :wacko:

Starbucks.

The other horrible coffee was a vending machine at work.  The machine itself is fine,  the coffee was weak but could be used to strip paint the cafine content was so high.

I agree, I absolutely hate Starbuck's coffee!! But the worst coffee I've ever had, by far, was at work - we had that Green Mountain French Roast. 1) I can't stand French Roast, and 2) for some reason, that stuff smelled like fish!! I couldn't even stand the smell of it, let alone stomach a cup of it. :wacko:

Starbucks tastes pretty darn good. I love the stuff even though a little overpriced.

Worst coffee ever is at work, "Community" coffee that has been ground God knows how long ago and is sitting in little packets. I think i can get better results toasting and brewing sawdust.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Thru out most of the "West Coast", including "Seattle". the worst coffee served at some places even with acceptable food is "Farmer Brothers", the stuff is colored like brown tea water, just tastes like dishwater, but worst. only needs to be tickled with any dairy type product to become biege colored. This is appearently the "Coffee" of choice served at many offices.[ Those without expresso machines.]. I've had the stuff in California, Arizona, Oregon and Washington State. Gives me the shudders. Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

We have one of those machines here at school where the coffee squirts out into a little paper cup.

It's foul.

I always press the Extra-Strong button, but it doesn't really make a difference.

You'd think at a culinary school they'd have decent coffee available, but all the good stuff is in the Cafe, and only for The Public.

They served the good coffee at orientation, and I remember thinking "geez, this is great! The coffee here is really good!"

Then, once they had my money in hand, they yanked the good coffee away.

:sad:

Noise is music. All else is food.

Airline coffee. With the powdered milk. When you're on the 6am flight heading for a meeting and you really, really need to wake up. Spilling it on you because the plane hits turbulence, or getting that white crap all over your black suit when you try and open it between two bulky passengers who are oozing onto your seat so much you can't move your arms, is the final insult.

At a lot of restaurants in Mexico they serve Nescafe. They actually bring you a cup of hot water and the bottle of Nescafe so that you can add as much as you want

Nes is also quite popular in Greece. I wouldn't call it coffee, but it grows on you after a while. I've mostly seen it served as an iced blender drink.

Jim

America Worst..uh, I mean America West Airlines, First Class, Breakfast Service. vomit-smiley-012.gif

It actually tasted like it had been made with the degreaser they use on the landing gear. I won't even talk about something they served called "Breakfast Loaf." It was made with an ingredient that may at one time have been some kind of egg. Thank God they don't serve food on that airline any more.

That would be the coffee served at most restaurants in Cozumel Mexico (probably true of places in other Mexico tourist destinations as well). Fact: the coffee sits for hours in the carafe on the warming plate of the cheap drip coffeemaker and whatever is left over a at the end of the day..... gets saved and heated up again the nex morning. A frined told me he saw the kitchen staff at a hotel take the stockpot in which they had boiled water and coffee grounds, then pour it into the filter basket of a big 50 cup coffee maker, using it as a strainer to serve the coffee.

Ironic and unfortunate as Mexico grows some phenomenal coffee......

Motel coffee. Those old , old packets that have been bought in cases of 200,000 , one of which is put in your room in the alcove area next to the sink. You rip the silvery packet open in the morning, brew it in the muchkin machine and then drink it with powdered white stuff in styrofoam, stirring with your finger because you can't find the stirstick.

Barely warm, barely brewed...sipped dejectedly while sitting on the underside of a neon orange and pink bedspread , watching the local news on TV, which is being drowned out by the ancient AC unit whose controls have been so overused that they don't really function anymore.