• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chefs

TrishCT

As a writer myself, I am thrilled to get the chance to chat with you. :smile:

Who excites you right now in the culinary field? Is there an up and comer we should be on the lookout for? Are there any exciting (or scary) food trends you have noticed?

Hi TrishCt,

I love spicy food, and I am happy to see more and more Mexican food under the spotlight; you know, moving beyond the standard tortilla and taco. And I also like tequila, and it is great for cooking as well as for plain sipping, like a fine Cognac. Perhaps Diane Kennedy played a role in this focus.

I think the trend is increasingly toward fusion food; featuring many cuisines, such as the food of India (Tabla restaurant in NYC is typical example), food from Latin America, soul food, Vietnamese food, and so on. I don't think the so call butter and cream haute cuisine of France will ever have the importance that it did years ago.

As for new chefs; I can't keep up with them. There seems to be a musical chair of glittering stars. But I think Emeril is talented and funny, and sloppy at times, perhaps on purpose? Who knows.