• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

decent seafood in northern jersey

tommy

someone asked me for a recommendation of good seafood in northern jersey.  something that's not crazy expensive.  the only thing i could come up with was Legal Seafood.  recommending a chain seemed pretty lame, but i got to thinking that maybe there really are no decent seafood restaurants in northern jersey.  i even tried to think of restaurants that do seafood well and could only come up with a few of the better restaurants in the area.

any other suggestions?

I hate to sound even lamer, but last time we were meeting my parents for dinner and were in a seafood mood, we went to Legal! It's pretty good.

Where in northern NJ? There's a crab house in Edgewater that very good but rather expensive. Ooh! I thought of one... When are they going there? Joe & Tess's, also in Edgewater at 16 Hilliard Ave, is excellent quality, reasonable prices, very (very) casual. But, it is only open Thursday - Sunday. If you are going on a Sunday, you can even reserve a lobster, cause they'll run out otherwise. Excellent steamers.

I know there's also the Fulton Crab House in Cliffside Park, but I've never been. Assembly in Englewood Cliffs is a Steak & Seafood House, but also, I haven't been there.

I was taken to the River Palm in Fairlawn for a Christmas Party (let's ask, how much worse could it get?) but was pleasantly surprised, actually astonished, by the quality of the seafood appetizer platter and the 3 lb lobster that graced my way.  The platter included huge shrimp, a few smallish lobster tails stuffed with something, some crab claws, well prepared clams and a whole pound of lump crab meat dumped in the middle.  I guess this was intended for 4-6 people.  It was better than okay.

I've been very pleased with fish at Bellissimo's in Little Falls. Usually 3-4 choices, prepared your way, they're very good about that.

Although my last meal at the Sea Shack in Hackensack wasn't the best, their simple, broiled fish has usually been very good. I'd stay away from complex stuff.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Doris & Ed's in Highlands has some of the best, freshest seafood in the state, as well as an award winning wine cellar.

For more casual fare there is Rays Seafood; BYO in Little Silver or full service in Colts Neck.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak