• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ponzu - what do I do with it?

sandra

I just bought this little jar of clear green-yellow liquid, flourescent almost

I know I have had loads of things with ponzu sauce, but where to start? WHat to make?

Ingredients: water, citrus juice (lemon, mandarin and valencia orange), stilled vinegar. citric acid and natural orange flavour.

In parenthesis it says Mitsukan seasoned vinegar...

thanks

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Ponzu is a authentic Japanese Flavored Seasoning. To get the traditional taste/flavor of the product. Make sure that it contains "Sudachi", a small green citrus fruit that has a pungent lemon/lime with dash of orange flavor. It in used on almost all Japanese Domestic Ponzu, but is substituted in many exports. The combo of citrus items on most labels may read "Sudachi", "Daidai", and "Yuzu" if all are in the ingredients the taste will be exceptional. I use it in Salad Dressings, Poultry and Seafood with tasty results. Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Ponzu is a authentic Japanese Flavored Seasoning. To get the traditional taste/flavor of the product. Make sure that it contains "Sudachi", a small green citrus fruit that has a pungent lemon/lime with dash of orange flavor. It in used on almost all Japanese Domestic Ponzu, but is substituted in many exports. The combo of citrus items on most labels may read "Sudachi", "Daidai", and "Yuzu" if all are in the ingredients the taste will be exceptional. I use it in Salad Dressings, Poultry and Seafood with tasty results. Irwin

What he said! :biggrin:

Next time definitely look for something that lists sudachi or yuzu especially on the front label, you will be amazed at the taste difference. The varieties they have in Japan are incredible but unfortunately very few are exported. I don't think I have ever purchased the same bottle twice.

Ponzu is great with almost anything

Just last week I had a seared salmon dish topped with ponzu, then Sunday I had Japanese style hamburgers with grated daikon and ponzu (grated daikon and ponzu are a traditional pair), occasionally I will make a quick stirfy of bean sprouts, maybe some cabbage and carrots, season with a little salt and pepper and then cover with ponzu.

It is a wonderful "dip" for grilled foods and is a condiment served with a variety on Japanese nabes (one-pot dishes)

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

What he said! :biggrin:

Next time definitely look for something that lists sudachi or yuzu especially on the front label, you will be amazed at the taste difference. The varieties they have in Japan are incredible but unfortunately very few are exported. I don't think I have ever purchased the same bottle twice.

Ponzu is great with almost anything

Just last week I had a seared salmon dish topped with ponzu, then Sunday I had Japanese style hamburgers with grated daikon and ponzu (grated daikon and ponzu are a traditional pair), occasionally I will make a quick stirfy of bean sprouts, maybe some cabbage and carrots, season with a little salt and pepper and then cover with ponzu.

It is a wonderful "dip" for grilled foods and is a condiment served with a variety on Japanese nabes (one-pot dishes)

Was pleasantly surprised at two things this evening. For grandfathers Day received a packet of Aftershave Lotion and Special Soaps fram my Granddaughters that they picked out because of the lovely citrus scent. Seems that the main ingredient is the zest from "Japanese Yuzu Citrus". The next big surprise is that we went for a Grand Parents meal of "Pho" next door at their neighbors, who served as "Grand Mothers" favorite new "Pho" seasoning "Ponzu", appearently Grandma likes it much better then Fresh Lime for their "Pho", since iIgave her a bottle to try with Green Mangos about 6 months ago. It really was a terrific addition, perked up the broth, and improved the taste. Wouldn't be surprised if this becomes a standard codiment. especially since they own 3 Pho restaurants. Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.