• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fat-Guy World Tour '02 is shaping up

Fat Guy

Peter, though it seems a long way off, the opportunity to meet you will surely be a highlight of the trip!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Of particular interest to Ellen, for when you arrive in Seattle....Seattle has one of the few (if not the only) real Sherpa restaurant in the USA.  It's called Himalayan Sherpa Restaurant, 4214 University Way, Seattle, specializing in Nepalese, Sherpa, Tibetan, Bhutanese & Indian Cuisine.  It is owned and operated by A.C. Sherpa, from eastern Nepal, who is related to a Sherpa who accompanied Sir Edmund Hillary on his historic climb to the top of Mt. Everest.  In addition to his restaurant, A.C. Sherpa is an expert climber and  has a trekking business (Bill Gates has hiked with him).  To see his menu, which includes Momo dumplings & other traditional food click:Himalayan Sherpa Restaurant  

I haven't eaten there before, but the Seattle PI gave it 2 1/2 stars in 1999.  If you don't have time to eat there, you might like to stop by and say hello anyway, and have at least a Momo!   :)

If you would like to read more (a short article) about A.C. (Ang Chhira) Sherpa, who I believe is also writing a book, and producing a film about sherpa life, click: A.C. Sherpa

I have heard mamster is coordinating a get together for when you are in Seattle...I (and the rest of the NW group) will look forward to meeting you!  Have a great trip!

(edit was a typo).

A.C. Sherpa, from eastern Nepal, who is related to a Sherpa who accompanied Sir Edmund Hillary on his historic climb to the top of Mt. Everest.

Yes, well, you know all the Sherpas say that.

I have heard mamster is coordinating a get together for when you are in Seattle

He thinks of everything, that Mamster a/k/a Matthew "Pot Luck" Amster-Burton.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The halfway point will be Vancouver, where we will slow down the pace and stay for a week, and where Mrs. Fat-Guy will compete in the Vancouver marathon on May 5. We'll be arriving in Vancouver on May 3 (those of you in Seattle who are planning something can work back from there to get May 1 & 2 as my pretty much definite Seattle dates).

The halfway point by number of meals may be different. On the way down South and out West we have a very high concentration of meals planned in the Southeast, but not all that much going on as we cross the country and head up the West Coast. We're on our own budget most of that time so we'll be focusing on road food rather than fine dining -- and we'll also probably do some camping and self-catering if the weather is friendly. When we get to Canada I'm going to be doing some story assignments so I'll be able to dine on somebody else's dime in a lot of locations. Plus with the exchange rate I can pay for the finest meals in Canada with what I have sitting around in the change crock in my apartment. That means we'll probably do a lot more eating in Canada -- at least in Western Canada -- than anywhere else on the trip. It remains to be seen how much and how well we'll eat in Central Canada, though. It's a bit of an unknown in terms of cuisine.

As I travel, I'm constantly in touch -- mostly via e-mail -- with various editors at magazines and newspapers where I've published in the past and where I hope to publish in the future. Sometimes being in or near a place gives me ideas, and then I can badger someone into giving me an impromptu story assignment that creates a great meal opportunity or a series of food opportunities centered around a theme. This can rapidly change the plan from peanut-butter-and-jelly-sandwiches and hot dogs to five meals a day at the best restaurants in whatever town we're in. So we'll see.

Of particular interest to Ellen, for when you arrive in Seattle....Seattle has one of the few (if not the only) real Sherpa restaurant in the USA.  

well... they seem to have Momos at least.

If Momo eats Momos is that cannibalism?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

No more so than if Woody Allen eats the Woody Allen sandwich at the Stage Deli. Unless they're dog momo, it's kosher in Momo's universe.

Don't forget the Alberta beef if you pass thru Calgary. I've been pleased with Hy's (next to the Westin). It has been on the same site since 1947, or thereabouts.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I'll certainly be checking to see if Alberta beef is really all it's cracked up to be.

We are decidedly not ready. Ellen will probably submit her North Carolina book manuscript to Crown tomorrow, after I give it a read-through overnight tonight. Then we'll both sleep most of tomorrow, do all our trip preparation on Tuesday (as well as stop by to see my favorite artist's gallery show in pre-opening because we'll be away for the entire duration of the show, and get a haircut) and depart at 5:00am on Wednesday no doubt forgetting something big.

We haven't forgotten him yet, but we have forgotten his food. And that's a huge hassle because he eats this commie holistic stuff that you can't just wander into any Petco and buy, and if you just switch him over to IAMS or a popular brand cold turkey he displays some bad gastrointestinal indignation. We've wasted some serious time turning around and driving home for his food!

Approximately two months, maybe a little more. Depends when we run out of money, etc.

My planning acumen has been overstated.  What kind of experience are you looking for in Seattle, Shaw?  We can take you to a shmancy place;  we can do some home cooking;  or we can go to an unusual ethnic dive like the Malay Satay Hut.  Up to you.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Home cooking or a picnic-type event is the easiest thing in terms of managing the dog, and it's the most economical thing for most people, but we can make pretty much anything work. Of course, I've never been able to get from point A to point B in Seattle without getting lost on one hill or another, but I'll try my best.

okay, since someone already brought up Maine in an earlier post, I feel it's fine now for me to remind you to stop at Flo's Hot Dog stand on route 1 in York--it's great!  You have to have the hot dog the way they make it with this special sauce and, believe it or not, a little bit of mayo (I know if sounds gross, but it really isn't)...anyhow, they'll yell at you if you try to ask for a hot dog some other way.

And, I've also heard Fore Street in Portland is one of the best restaurants in the city.  Also, especially if it's on someone else's dime, try Arrows in Ogunquit.

Have a great trip, and if you need Boston area recommendations, let me know as you get closer, am happy to oblige.

Steve, I hope you, your best friend and your other best friend have a wonderful, exciting, safe, good tasting, revealing, memorable, fun, and fulfilling trip. Maybe I missed this, but what are you driving?

1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE minivan, the stretched and widened model, V6, "Wild Berry" (a/k/a maroon), with the back two rows of seats removed and replaced with a plywood platform that fits a mattress and a dog-crate on top and our gear underneath.

1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE minivan, the stretched and widened model, V6, "Wild Berry" (a/k/a maroon), with the back two rows of seats removed and replaced with a plywood platform that fits a mattress and a dog-crate on top and our gear underneath.

And is called The .....MOMOBILE?

If you encounter the academic precincts of Brunswick Maine, I'd suggest Fat Willie's, a chicken / burgers / lobster roll shack located on highway 123 about 2 miles east of Bowdoin college. It's directly across from the Naval Air station. Dinner for 2 (in your vehicle) and a plate o' ribs for the pooch will run about $10.

Not directly food related, but there's a great lobster hatching laboratory just over the bridge to Mount Desert island (Bar Harbor). Life cycle all the way from eggs, to spawning, to the repatriation of fingerlings to the ocean. Open to the public.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo