• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Retinning Copper Cookware

maggiethecat

gallery_34671_2649_4529.jpg

I purchased this lovely old pot from e-bay and when it arrived I realize that it has what is called a 'dovetailed' seam along the side and on the bottom which appears to be brass.  I'm comfortable with boiling sugar in copper, but I'm not so sure about the safety aspect with the brass dovetailing.  Anyone want to hazard an opinion on this?

I am pretty sure that what you have is an old confectioners pan. Unless you plan to use this with something really acidic I think you are ok. Brass is mostly copper, so you are at the same risk of corrosion from acids, but not sugar. Brass has similar heat distribution properties to copper, but melts at a lower temperature which makes it better for welding.