• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Big Cornbread Debate

Jaymes

I was raised in a Southern family. My grandmother made cornbread in a hot cast-iron skillet to which bacon drippings had been added. This cornbread was never sweet. I always thought that only Yankees added sugar to their cornbread batter.

But lately, I've read where "sweet cornbread" is a "Southern Thang," like "sweet tea."

And recently, a friend told me somewhat rudely that "only you Southerners have to put sugar into everything -- nowhere else in the country is the food so sweet." (Clearly she has not spent much time dining in Vermont.)

So I want to know about sweet cornbread being "Southern."

Is it?

:huh:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Hi Jaymes,

Please see my posting for Lady T on this great civil issue of adding sugar to cornbread. Perish that thought. Best cornbread in the world is made with buttermilk, with one-teaspoon baking soda replacing one-teaspoon of baking powder.

Add sugar and you got corn cake, Northern-style. And yes, I make it in a cast iron skillet; an old iron crepe pan is fine too. And the pan should be hot, and yes, bacon dripping is fine, but I use a melange of oil these days, such as sesame, olive, etc.

Again, thanks for the inquiry.