• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone else who doesn't care for dark chocolate?

sherribabee

I also prefer milk chocolate to dark. I don't mind dark chocolate in desserts, but otherwise it's milk chocolate for me.

White chocolate doesn't appeal at all---it's like I'm eating butter, in which case I'll just eat butter.

Can you pee in the ocean?

White chocolate is even worse than dark chocolate.  *Gag*

totally can't disagree there--white chocolate is naaaaasty. Ok, you can have most of my milk chocolate, then. How about that? I reserve the right to the occasional slip, though.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

I like all chocolate, milk, semisweet, and dark/bittersweet, but whereas milk or semisweet chocolate are easy to eat, the dark or bittersweet requires a little work on my part to get past the initial hardness against my teeth and bite of bitterness on my tongue.

Other foods that, for me, require work to get past an initially disagreeable texture or flavor are sweets with alcohol in them; coffee; and, formerly, sharp blue cheese, which now requires no work to enjoy -- acclimation, maybe?

Generally, I don't bother with foods that are hard for me to enjoy. Life is short.

White chocolate is even worse than dark chocolate.  *Gag*

totally can't disagree there--white chocolate is naaaaasty. Ok, you can have most of my milk chocolate, then. How about that? I reserve the right to the occasional slip, though.

K

OK. Deal! :biggrin:

Sherri A. Jackson

Nice to find this thread. I've always had to sheepishly admit I liked milk chocolate over dark. In many circles around here it smacks of an unsophisticated palate--akin to liking well done meat over med-rare.

I like dark chocolate when it's part of something else to offset the bitterness, so I like it as part of truffles, or cookies, etc. With chocolate bars, though, it's got to be milk. I do find, however, that the older I get the less I can tolerate really sweet milk chocolate, such as in Hershey's bars, so for all I know I may be eating dark chocolate bars in ten years!