• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A tomato tart

MatthewB

To clarify: I like lots of mustard. I was just saying (on the dinner thread) that if you're not such a mustard fan, you might want to cut back a little. When I make the tart again myself, I'll be using the full complement of mustard.

Anybody tried the zucchini flan thing (from the same article) yet? I'm looking forward to trying it some time this week.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

To clarify:  I like lots of mustard.  I was just saying (on the dinner thread) that if you're not such a mustard fan, you might want to cut back a little.  When I make the tart again myself, I'll be using the full complement of mustard.

Anybody tried the zucchini flan thing (from the same article) yet?  I'm looking forward to trying it some time this week.

Not a criticism at all, SethG. :smile:

The first one was with ~3 tablespoons of mustard. It didn't show through much at all. In fact, if someone didn't like mustard in this situation, I'd recommend dispensing with it entirely. But 5 tablespoons was wonderful for me. (Note: I also wouldn't recommend using anything other than dijon & I wouldn't use an "old style" dijon. Also, on the second one, I upped the fresh thyme to somewhere between 1 & 1/2 to 2 tablespoons. That worked well.)

I've probably try that flan this week.

I did do the Soupe au Pistou on Saturday evening. I riffed a bit & used what veggies I picked up from a farm stand that morning. I'd use way more basil & more garlic than the recipe states if I were to do it again.

To clarify:  I like lots of mustard.  I was just saying (on the dinner thread) that if you're not such a mustard fan, you might want to cut back a little.  When I make the tart again myself, I'll be using the full complement of mustard.

Anybody tried the zucchini flan thing (from the same article) yet?  I'm looking forward to trying it some time this week.

Made the tomato tart and the zucchini flan.

The flan was very good. I used truffle oil to finish and the tomato coulis had some balsamic in it.

Was enjoyed thoroughly by all guests.

The tomato tart was good. The crust could have been better .... the mustard was just fine. I am no mustard fan, and still enjoyed it quite a lot. For my "no mustard is good" taste, the 5 tablespoons was not too much.

I did not make the clafouti or the soup. Made blueberry cobbler instead. And many other dishes.

Made the tart last night after hearing all the hype around here.

I liked it too.

I'm really, really bad with pastry and dough and bread, and the crust was simple, even for me. It wasn't the best crust I've ever had, but for a five minute job I'm not complaining. Usually tarts leave me in a bad way.

Didn't measure the mustard - just finished up what was in the jar. I like lots of mustard on everything, so I could've done with more. Kind of an unexpected flavor, but I thought it worked.

I'll probably make this again, probably soon, before the tomato season ends. Maybe with the zucchini flan.

I rescued last Wed's food section from the toss pile because of the comments here. I want to try the flan.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

• 2 weeks later...

I made the flan for dinner tonight. Although it tastes good, I had problems with it. I used about 3 pounds of zucchini - which was way too much - it's was very difficult to saute it all. Then, the mixture of zuke, cream and eggs was too much for an 8 x 4 pan, so I went with a larger dish. Did the water bath, and although the top was firm, it was all runny in the bottom. I'm frustrated. :wacko:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

I made the flan for dinner tonight.  Although it tastes good, I had problems with it.  I used about 3 pounds of zucchini - which was way too much - it's was very difficult to saute it all.  Then, the mixture of zuke, cream and eggs was too much for an 8 x 4 pan, so I went with a larger dish.  Did the water bath, and although the top was firm, it was all runny in the bottom.  I'm frustrated. :wacko:

Mine came out perfectly. I used one of the all clad gold standard loaf pans I have. I know it was slightly larger than Mr. Bittman suggested for use, but it worked perfectly.

I used just slightly more than 3lbs of zucchini. I cooked them in one of my copper pans, an All Clad Paella Pan pictured below.

ccf_paella_pan.jpg

I never used the lid. It cooked the zucchini perfectly and gave a great color. I could have cooked less. But my guests and I enjoyed the slight browning of the zucchini and I remember Mr. Bittman also mentioning that one should cook till the zucchini has some color.

I found a photograph of the loaf pan, here it is below.

bw_loaf_pan.jpg

The flan was really a hit. So was the tart, but the Flan was the winner. It really is a great summer dish. Also, the tomato coulis was really enjoyed by all.

Maybe you did not reduce the liquid left by the vegetable? I know I was ready to throw it into the cream and eggs but kept patiently cooking to get rid of some of the juices. I also strained the juices from the zucchini before adding them into the eggs and cream.

I was worried I added the zucchini whilst they were still hot, but it seemed to have had little if any effect on the smooth texture of the tart. I sliced the zucchini very finely.

I had good luck that day. And I really did thank Mark Bittman and the NY Times and Marie Martin. :smile:

PS: The above pictures are courtesy of All Clad. Must give credit where it is due. :smile:

I wonder if my saute pan was too small for all the zucchini? It's a 10" pan. I sliced the zukes in the food processor using the 2 mm blade to ensure even thinness. The pan was packed with zucchini slices - I was afraid I concerned going to lose some to the range top. I sauted everything for awhile. And there was a bit of color. Then, I used a slotted spoon to transfer the zukes from the pan to the bowl. Because the quantity of mixture was so large I used 2 qt souffle dish. I wonder if the dish is part of the problem.

Fortunately, this was for a casual weeknight dinner - just the husband and me. It was a bit drippy but very flavorful. I guess I'll try to perfect it next summer.

I wonder if my saute pan was too small for all the zucchini?  It's a 10" pan.  I sliced the zukes in the food processor using the 2 mm blade to ensure even thinness.  The pan was packed with zucchini slices - I was afraid I concerned going to lose some to the range top.  I sauted everything for awhile.  And there was a bit of color.  Then, I used a slotted spoon to transfer the zukes from the pan to the bowl.  Because the quantity of mixture was so large I used 2 qt souffle dish.  I wonder if the dish is part of the problem.

Fortunately, this was for a casual weeknight dinner - just the husband and me.  It was a bit drippy but very flavorful.  I guess I'll try to perfect it next summer.

Not sure why you had difficulty whilst it was a breeze for me. Maybe the recipe is not faulty.. could be the water content of the zucchini and also the pan you cooked them in and the souffle dish. Not sure though.

I am sure you have no reason to wait till next summer. You could easily make it again, in the next week or so. It is really tasty. I have made it twice now. :rolleyes:

So I made the tomato tart again tonight, loved the mustard, and decided it wasn't such a strong flavor after all.

Then my wife says "I really like that other tomato tart better."

"This one's easier," I respond, "and I think it's pretty yummy. Is there something you don't like about it?"

"Too much mustard. Yuck."

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"