• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spicy grilled corn

Joyce, just reading your recipe for spicy grilled corn makes my mouth water. I have two questions on how to make it.

The recipe says

When read to grill, whisk together in a cup or small bowl the oil or butter, rum, black pepper, salt, thyme, and chile pepper. Squeeze out the water from the corn husk and brush the oil mixture all over the corn.

Do you brush this mixture on the husk, or on the corn, i.e. pulling back the husks before brushing on the mixture?

Then it says:

When the charcoal is ashy, spread out, drain the woods and place on the fire. Place the corn on the grill. Grill covered for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the corn is tender and lightly charred, turning often.

Do you put the husks back in place before putting the corn on the grill?

Thanks for your recipes, and for joining us in this Q&A!

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

Hi Jonathan,

Got to tighten up those recipe directions, huh? Yes, that wonderful spicy mixture goes on the corn; not on the husk. And of course, you pull the husk back up around the corn and grill away.

If the husk begins to burn or char too much, spray it with a little water, or place ears of corn on a sheet of heavy duty foil.

I love corn, and this is one of my favorite recipe. Enjoy.