• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Pastry Chef/Desserts in Montreal

jersey13

We've had threads for the best coffee, seafood, pizza etc, so for all the sweet toothed eGulleters out there, where are the best places to get great desserts? I'm not talking bakeries and we all know about Kilo, Calories and Second Cup (if you consider Second Cup to have great desserts. Personally I can't even stand their coffee, but that's another story :wink: ) It just seems that the existing dessert spots all buy from the same supplier. :wacko:

Soooo.....I'm looking for either restaurants that allow patrons to just order dessert (that's I tough one, I imagine)or establishments designated for the dessert and coffee crowd.

Let's hear 'em!

Edited by jersey13 (log)

Ahh, Limelight, that really takes me back down memory lane. Recently I've been pleasantly treated at Figaro, on the corner of Hutchison and Fairmount. I'm not sure if they make or buy the desserts but they were tasty and inexpensive. The coffee has been good and the service very gracious, plus the decor is really very original and romantique. The brownies and cookies at Olive and Gourmando are killer, and their coffee is probably the best I've had in Montreal, plus the ambiance is very special. What I'd like to know is where to find the best gelato in Montreal in the evening, other than the obvious Bilboquet on Bernard. MooMoo on St.Denis is expensive. I want the real gelato.

Lesley-The degustion of desserts we offer is the same that is included in our regular degustation menu: one pre-dessert, one dessert with fruits, one with chocolate and some mignardises to finish. Yesterday evening degustation: Goat milk tapioca with strawberrie sorbet and some basil, Rhubarb clafoutis with rhubarb sorbet and cardamom flavoured yogourt, Jivara chocolate cream with pecans, bananas and truffled milk froth. To finish: chocolate financier, pineapple pâte de fruit and some small sablés with mascarpone and a baie d'amélanchier.

On the other hand, we are always willing to prepare a special degustation of desserts with any number of desserts you are willing to try...

Patrice Demers

While not in the same league as Les Chevres, Duc de Lorraine (Cote des Neiges and Queen Mary), Gascognie (Laurier near Park), and the Premiere Moisson chain all offer excellent pastries, sorbets, and other sweets, to take-out or eat in. For night-owls the problem is that the first two close relatively early. Depending on the day they shut between 5/6 and 8. I don't know the schedule for PM and they may vary it from branch to branch, but their web-site, www.premieremoission.com (no accent marks). might give those details.

By the way, out of dedication to sampling what was on offer, over the last few days I have sampled all four as well as a fifth, Patisserie Belge (the Laurier branch). Belgians should stick to beer, potatoes, and chocolate. PB ranks an F.

Edited by VivreManger (log)

Well I just fell on a great ice cream producer. The chocolate maker "La cabosse d'or" in St Hilaire offers one of the best ice cream in the region, any chocolate favor beating the ice cream at bilboquet. The added bonus is that there is now a Mini Golf range behind it to keep the kids busy...

• 2 months later...

It's my birthday coming up soon and I am going out for dinner and I want to go to a restaurant that has the best desserts/best pastry chef in town, someone who creates the most original, outlandish and mind boggling presentations and flavours in a dessert. Does anyone have any recommendations?

mike

In my experience the best pastry chef in town is Patrice at Le Chevres. The desserts at Rosalie, Toque and Chez L'Epicier aren't too shabby either.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

patrice makes some wicked desserts, indeed.

i also enjoyed my desserts at anise.

i know you can go to les chevres and have a dégustation of desserts... but the whole meal is worth investigating as well.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

I liked some of the desserts at Brunoise (panna cotta), some at Les Infideles, and all the ones I tasted at Les Caprices de Nicolas. I would also think Rodney at Bice is making nice desserts as well. Patrice is certainly making the most creative desserts I've tasted in Montreal in a while.

I have had some very poor desserts at Toque! lately. And no offense to Mr. McMillan and the team at Rosalie, but if we rank Rosalie's desserts as the top three in Montreal, we're in trouble. The place is a Montreal bistro folks and the simple desserts follow suit. There is a whole other level of more expensive restaurant that should be producing more intricate desserts. And that isn't happening much these days. It's a tragedy that places like the Beaver Club are serving cheap and crappy chocolate mousse cakes and terrible lemon meringue pies.

Patrice's desserts are certainly creative, but in a classic, and refined way. If you want delicious dessert, perfectly excecuted with subtle and refined flavours and beautiful presentation then Les Chevres is your best bet. For outlandish and boggling I think you'll have to head south.

I liked some of the desserts at Brunoise (panna cotta), some at Les Infideles, and all the ones I tasted at Les Caprices de Nicolas. I would also think Rodney at Bice is making nice desserts as well.  Patrice is certainly making the most creative desserts I've tasted in Montreal in a while.

I have had some very poor desserts at Toque! lately. And no offense to Mr. McMillan and the team at Rosalie, but if we rank Rosalie's desserts as the top three in Montreal, we're in trouble. The place is a Montreal bistro folks and the simple desserts follow suit. There is a whole other level of more expensive restaurant that should be producing more intricate desserts. And that isn't happening much these days. It's a tragedy that places like the Beaver Club are serving cheap and crappy chocolate mousse cakes and terrible lemon meringue pies.

Rosalie's desserts may not be the most sophisticated or novel, but they are full of flavor and simply delicious. I had an apple tart there that was simply magnificent. It is too bad if Toque's desserts are going downhill. I have enjoyed them immensely in the past.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz