• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Traditional" foods in healthy versions

Suzanne F

Thank you so much for joining us.

So much of the food culture of the African diaspora in the U.S. was based on ingredients and cooking methods that give big flavor but also add unhealthy elements -- cured pig fats, salt, deep-frying. Over the last thirty years, there have been many cooking writers and educators who have substituted lower fat, lower salt ingredients for the traditional ones, to minimize the health risks while keeping the food delicious. How successful do you think this has been in general -- or has the success be limited to more educated middle- and upper-middle class African-Americans, while still leaving many who need "re-education" to the wiles of KFC and Frito-Lay?

(edited because I finally remembered my manners. :biggrin: )

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

Hi Suzanne,

I know you know this: the USA is in the throes of a usual epidemic; last I heard about 67 or 68% percentage of the population is overweight and obese.

Obviously something has happened. Can't blame the brunt of that statistic on African-Americans; we are shy of 13% of the population. The other 55% of the American population is gouging away, too.

People cure meat and deep fry around the world. Reason: no refrigerator and no oven; but do have a big black pot that can sit over an open fire. In a yard someplace. Fill it up with oil and fry away. Asia and Africa are typical examples; thinnest people in the world.

So perhaps the weight problem in USA has other sources. And I don't mean to get preachy here, but how about the proliferation of fast food joints in African-American communities, few supermarkets in the 'hood, and in general, an increasing sedentary society for everybody.

Cooking is kind of heavy lifting. And lot of people in high-tech society America don't want to get they hands dirty.