• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Springform pans

BettyK

I use the cake pans with the removeable inserts for just about everything. Mine are made by Parrish as part of their "Magic Line" of heavy-gauge aluminum pans.

This is what I ended up buying. I was reading The Cake Bible yesterday & these are the exact pans she recommends. The cheapest price i found was at http://www.kitchenconservatory.com/cakepans.htm

I bought 3 sizes: 8x3, 9x3 and 10x3. $54 for all three, including shipping-I'm such an occasional baker that I should be set for life for cheesecake pans. As soon as they come, I'll make the apple cake again & report back on how they worked.

Thanks for all your advice-I think this is the first time I ever posted on the Baking Forum.

• 1 year later...

I've been baking all of the desserts for our French-Mexican fine dining restaurant since we opened 7 years ago.

The workhorse pan that has become my favorite is the Kaiser tin springform pan in the 12" (30 cm) size. I use it for my cheesecakes, pound cakes, and layer cakes.

With the heavy use, they eventually need to be replaced. When I went to pick up a few more last week, our local cookware place told me that the 12" pans are no longer being imported into the United States from Germany. The only 12" springform pan that is available here is a thin aluminum one. I really prefer the imported tin pans. If I have to use aluminum, I would certainly need one that is thicker and sturdier than the ones I've seen.

I've begun checking online, and it seems that the buyer was right. The only places I've seen the larger pans are on German websites. (German is not one of my languages, unfortunately.)

So I turn to you. Does anyone know of a store in the U.S. that still has these pans?

Or can you recommend another 12" springform pan that is available in the U.S.?

I'm hoping to get lucky and learn of something that I'll like even better than my trusty old Kaisers.

Bueller?

Barb

Barb Cohan-Saavedra

Co-owner of Paloma Mexican Haute Cuisine, lawyer, jewelry designer, glass beadmaker, dessert-maker (I'm a lawyer who bakes, not a pastry chef), bookkeeper, payroll clerk and caffeine-addict

I have good luck finding Kaiser and Nordicware pans at Williams Sonoma; you might try Ebay.

Does it have to be springform? Have you tried the removeable bottom pans from Parrish's (the Magic Line brand)? I use these and they're great - they hold up pretty well as long as you don't drop them right on the side :sad: !

I have good luck finding Kaiser and Nordicware pans at Williams Sonoma; you might try Ebay.

Does it have to be springform?  Have you tried the removeable bottom pans from Parrish's (the Magic Line brand)?  I use these and they're great - they hold up pretty well as long as you don't drop them right on the side  :sad: !

Jeanne, neither eBay nor Williams Sonoma had anything larger than 10" from Kaiser.

Although I do prefer springform, you know what they say about beggars and choosers. I will next have to look into removeable bottom pans, at least for the cakes. For my cheesecake, I still think I need springform.

I'll try the Parrish's next.

Barb

Barb Cohan-Saavedra

Co-owner of Paloma Mexican Haute Cuisine, lawyer, jewelry designer, glass beadmaker, dessert-maker (I'm a lawyer who bakes, not a pastry chef), bookkeeper, payroll clerk and caffeine-addict

I snapped up a 12" Kaiser tin springform for a buck last week at the local resale store. Looks as if it's never been used. Send your minions to comb the local resale places;I know it's labor-intensive, but it can be totally worth the effort.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I've been baking all of the desserts for our French-Mexican fine dining restaurant since we opened 7 years ago. 

The workhorse pan that has become my favorite is the Kaiser tin springform pan in the 12" (30 cm) size.  I use it for my cheesecakes, pound cakes, and layer cakes. 

With the heavy use, they eventually need to be replaced.  When I went to pick up a few more last week, our local cookware place told me that the 12" pans are no longer being imported into the United States from Germany.  The only 12" springform pan that is available here is a thin aluminum one.  I really prefer the imported tin pans.  If I have to use aluminum, I would certainly need one that is thicker and sturdier than the ones I've seen.

I've begun checking online, and it seems that the buyer was right.  The only places I've seen the larger pans are on German websites.  (German is not one of my languages, unfortunately.)

So I turn to you.  Does anyone know of a store in the U.S. that still has these pans? 

Or can you recommend another 12" springform pan that is available in the U.S.?

I'm hoping to get lucky and learn of something that I'll like even better than my trusty old Kaisers.

Bueller?

Barb

This place in Ontario has the 11" Kaiser model , not sure if that helps or not. Not sure if the shipping costs make it prohibitive or not. Looks like they currently have no stock so I'm not sure about availability. Good luck.

Jerry

Edited by gmori (log)

There's plenty of room for all God's creatures. Right next to the mashed potatoes.

• 2 weeks later...
Does it have to be springform?  Have you tried the removeable bottom pans from Parrish's (the Magic Line brand)?  I use these and they're great - they hold up pretty well as long as you don't drop them right on the side  :sad: !

OMG, Jeanne, thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I am *so* doing a happy dance.

I didn't find the Kaiser and I'm glad. I bought two of the Parrish's pans in the 12"x3" size and will never go back to springform. They're deeper, beautifully made, clean up much easier than the springform (no nooks and crannies to trap cake crud), and the thickness of the metal produces a much much better cake than I was getting in the springform. I am in love with these pans!

Now I need to start collecting them in other sizes.

I appreciate your good advice. Thanks again, and thanks to all who responded.

Barb

Edited by bjcohan (log)

Barb Cohan-Saavedra

I'm so glad it worked out for you!

The next time you order, buy extra bottom plates - they come in handy. I won't buy anyone else's pans any more. The Magic Line ones are better than anything I've ever used. The worst part? They'll custom make any shape/size/depth you want! :wink: What I'd love for them to do is make all those shapes you can only get from Australia (the ovals, comma, emerald, etc....)

I'm so glad it worked out for you! 

The next time you order, buy extra bottom plates - they come in handy.  I won't buy anyone else's pans any more.  The Magic Line ones are better than anything I've ever used.  The worst part?  They'll custom make any shape/size/depth you want!  :wink:  What I'd love for them to do is make all those shapes you can only get from Australia (the ovals, comma, emerald, etc....)

Accck. Don't tempt me! I have friends in Australia who will be coming here next summer. Now I know what to ask them to bring!!!

Barb

Barb Cohan-Saavedra

What I'd love for them to do is make all those shapes you can only get from Australia (the ovals, comma, emerald, etc....)

Many sizes of loose-bottom pans (round and square) are at bakingtools/lloyd pans. You can get the shaped Australian pans from lorraines -- not cheap but at least they are there. The pans are built like tanks and cost it. :sad: Cheaper shaped pans used to be available from aramor (sugarcraft had them) but they lost their source.

Sorry to hijack this thread!

Edited by reenicake (log)