• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sunday dinner in Paris

Beth

Pinxo,

I really did not like this place - faux spanish in the (attempted) style of Robuchon, with inept service to boot. A Polish server did not speak french! :wacko: Very strange pricing as well.

L'Ardoise (literally around the corner) is open, but you must make a reservation.

A good fun place for people watching and oh so typically french would be the Grand Cafe by Opera.

Edited by Champagne Sadie (log)

We liked Mon Vieil Ami so much the first Sunday we were in Paris last summer, we booked it the second Sunday. But since the chef has moved to Drouant, it would be the first place on my list for the next trip, even though it will cost a little more. I don't think you can go wrong at either.

I thought Le Pamphlet was great. We ordered the tasting menu and let the madam suggest the bargain wines. The husband looks cranky, but he's really not. It's a very comfortable setting with nicely spaced tables.

Aux Lyonnais has great food though. So many choices....

Three of us are going to Paris at the end of March to shop, eat and partake of a little culture. We are having trouble getting reservations especially for Sunday night. We tried Mon Viel Ami and it is full for Sunday and we could not get into L' Os a Moelle . We did get into L'Angle du Faubourg. and are waiting to see if we are in Aux Lyonnais. We are staying in the 6th but are will ing to go somewhat far afield. I know this group will have suggestions. Although we are partial to the modern bistro, we basically eat anything .I am sad about Mon Viel Ami since I ate there last year and loved it. We will be there for five nights.

Three of us are going to Paris at the end of March to shop, eat and partake of a little culture. We are having trouble getting reservations especially for Sunday night. We tried Mon Viel Ami and it is full for Sunday and we could not get into L' Os a Moelle . We did get into L'Angle du Faubourg.  and are waiting to see if we are in Aux Lyonnais. We are staying in the 6th but are will ing to go somewhat far afield. I know this group will have suggestions. Although we are partial to the modern bistro, we basically eat anything .I am sad about Mon Viel Ami since I ate there last year and loved it. We will be there for five nights.

Off the top of my head for Sunday nights from least expensive to most:

Le Reminet, Bistro du Dome Delambre location, a Brasserie (Lorraine), Pinxo, Drouant, Gagnaire

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Three of us are going to Paris at the end of March to shop, eat and partake of a little culture. We are having trouble getting reservations especially for Sunday night. We tried Mon Viel Ami and it is full for Sunday and we could not get into L' Os a Moelle . We did get into L'Angle du Faubourg.  and are waiting to see if we are in Aux Lyonnais. We are staying in the 6th but are will ing to go somewhat far afield. I know this group will have suggestions. Although we are partial to the modern bistro, we basically eat anything .I am sad about Mon Viel Ami since I ate there last year and loved it. We will be there for five nights.

Off the top of my head for Sunday nights from least expensive to most:

Le Reminet, Bistro du Dome Delambre location, a Brasserie (Lorraine), Pinxo, Drouant, Gagnaire

I haven't tried it, but Fogon, which won a 2005 Fooding award for its paella is open on Sunday, I understand, also Louis Vin in the 5th arr.

Drouant. (I haven't been there, but next time, high on the list.) If you want something less expensive or can't get in, the Brasseries are always open on Sunday. Bofinger is my favorite, but there are others equally as good. I didn't make it to Lorraine, but for some reason, I think it's pretty good. :rolleyes: I liked Chez Jenny. Oysters and choucroute.

The Michelin Red Guide has a section listing restaurants open on Saturday and Sunday, there is a Paris only version of the Red Guide that is helpful for this kind of thing.

I hesitate to recommend it but Thoumieux (7th) is open on Sunday. This would be my last choice for Sunday eating.

Some other options are le Procope (6th, Freres Blanc chain) and Rotisserie Beaujolais (5th).

I believe L'Ardoise may be open Sunday nights, and you could do a lot worse. We just returned from a family vacation and ate at a Moroccan restaurant in the 5th, L'Atlas, on Sunday night. It's on the corner of Blvd St Germain and the short side street that leads to Tour d'Argent. The food was really delicious, and service was very friendly and warm. The only downside was that the restaurant was not even half-full at 9:00, and the other tables were occupied by tourists :blink:. Still, the pigeon pastilla we chose as our starter was to die for...................

Well, we have decided on Pamphlet for the Saturday night, Goumard for Sunday night, and lunch at L'Ambassade d'Auvergne on the Saturday.

Will report back!

Since none of us are paid, we only survive on the paramutual betting companies' spread - I'll betcha the trifecta is Goumard, L'Ambassade d'Auvergne + Le Pamphlet in that order. Let us know.

John Talbott

Well, we have decided on Pamphlet for the Saturday night, Goumard for Sunday night, and lunch at L'Ambassade d'Auvergne on the Saturday.

Will report back!

Would love to hear back about your meal at Goumard. We just returned from a family vacation in Paris, and were staying in an apartment just a few doors down the street. The menu looked lovely, but would have been a bit too pricey for the five of us.

We got reservations at Le Reminet for Sunday so I thank you for the suggestion. I will be sorry to miss Mon Viel Ami since I really enjoyed it. I love Bistro du Dome in the 14th which I have gone to many times and I actually prefer it to the big sister next door. It is the perfect place to go on our first night in Paris when I am tired,fuzzy and little cranky. I find it soothing,foodwise. I thought of Allard but it has gotten such mixed reviews lately I decided to pass this time. I am anxious to try Aux Lyonnais on this trip and I always enjoy L' Angle du Faubourg. I will report in after we come back.

I love Bistro du Dome in the 14th which I have gone to many times and I actually prefer it to the big sister next door.

It's comforting to have someone agree that the big Dome is less exciting that its Bistro; the last time I was there the fish was overcooked and the coquillages standard. But you can always rely on the Bistro; that's one place one must credit Ms. Wells for writing up right after it opened. In any case have fun at Reminet.

John Talbott

• 2 weeks later...

Have you secured a reservation at Aux Lyonnais? We are also trying to reserve here for our upcoming trip, but we've been told to call back 1 week in advance. We tried this in January and they told us then that they were booked up when we waited to reserve 1 week ahead of time.

Any suggestions?

Have you secured a reservation at Aux Lyonnais? We are also trying to reserve here for our upcoming trip, but we've been told to call back 1 week in advance. We tried this in January and they told us then that they were booked up when we waited to reserve 1 week ahead of time.

Any suggestions?

Yes.

First, don't worry, you can usually get in there the same day.

Second, have someone French call (I know, we love auslanders, but........)

Third, call every day, you'll wear them down.

Fourth, if you can't get in there, there are a coupl'a other places in town.

Good luck.

John Talbott

Thanks John,

Since we were unsuccessful in January making reservations, I want to have this done before we leave for France. I just stumbled on a site "Context:Paris" which will make the reservation at Aux Lyonnais or a handful of other restaurants in Paris for you for €5. It's the first time we've paid to have a reservation made for us, but it's better than repeatedly calling them.

We already have reservations for Gaya, Le P'tit Troquet, Carte Blanche and Louis Vins for our Sunday in Paris. We'll also be spending a week in Brittney, where I plan on enjoying many galettes!

Thanks John,

Since we were unsuccessful in January making reservations, I want to have this done before we leave for France. I just stumbled on a site "Context:Paris" which will make the reservation at Aux Lyonnais or a handful of other restaurants in Paris for you for €5. It's the first time we've paid to have a reservation made for us, but it's better than repeatedly calling them.

We already have reservations for Gaya, Le P'tit Troquet, Carte Blanche and Louis Vins for our Sunday in Paris. We'll also be spending a week in Brittney, where I plan on enjoying many galettes!

Outstanding. (And I might add, a good choice of places, as you know).

Your find suggests that I put together a thread on making reservations on the net/web, once I have an expanded list.

Query to other regulars/members: Any suggestions as to other options such as "Context:Paris"? Post here or as a PM. Thanks.

John

John Talbott

I had our hotel make the reservations. I long ago realized that anything but a French voice did not always get a reservation. We did have trouble getting reservations at Aux Lyonnaise but the hotel seemed to do just fine. I had much more difficulty this time even though I did it much father in advance than I normally do. None of the restos were three star but most of them were"trendy". I don't know if anyone will cancel because of the proposed strike/demonstrations. Hmm, maybe I should try to get in Mon Viel Ami which I failed to secure on three different dates.

Drouant.  (I haven't been there, but next time, high on the list.)  If you want something less expensive or can't get in, the Brasseries are always open on Sunday.  Bofinger is my favorite, but there are others equally as good.  I didn't make it to Lorraine, but for some reason, I think it's pretty good.  :rolleyes:  I liked Chez Jenny.  Oysters and choucroute.

I, personally was disappointed with Drouant. Nearly 200 Euros for two with a starter, main course and Half a bottle of red; along with a far from insightful service who could have told us that the côte de boeuf was a challenge alone without having a starter. It's early days - I'll probably go back in six months.

I have, however, heard that Carte Blanche is excellent. Someone ex-Gagnaire.

Food glorious food, nothing quite like it...

Drouant.  (I haven't been there, but next time, high on the list.)  If you want something less expensive or can't get in, the Brasseries are always open on Sunday.  Bofinger is my favorite, but there are others equally as good.  I didn't make it to Lorraine, but for some reason, I think it's pretty good.   :rolleyes:  I liked Chez Jenny.  Oysters and choucroute.

I, personally was disappointed with Drouant. Nearly 200 Euros for two with a starter, main course and Half a bottle of red; along with a far from insightful service who could have told us that the côte de boeuf was a challenge alone without having a starter. It's early days - I'll probably go back in six months.
I've been to Drouant, this time where I explore ways to get in/out without financial ruin and again yesterday lunch where three of us ate for 156 Euros. BTW it was a 12-star resto yesterday with the table next to us occupied by Mssrs Bocuse, Guerard and Blanc, add to them M. Westerman, I'd say that's a vote of approval.
I have, however, heard that Carte Blanche is excellent. Someone ex-Gagnaire.

I've also been to Carte Blanche twice and found it wonderful too but more in the style of Ze.

John Talbott

Hello. I have been reading both the new posts and the old as we planned our nights in Paris. I'd like to thank everyone for the good ideas Ive found, esp. John. I was able to obtain the reservations I wanted for Mon. and Tues. but also am having difficulty with Sun. I have tried to call Le Reminet but I keep getting a recording, and while my husband understands some French, its faster than he can understand. Any ideas? Thanks.

Hello.  I have been reading both the new posts and the old as we planned our nights in Paris.  I'd like to thank everyone for the good ideas Ive found, esp. John.  I  was able to obtain the reservations I wanted for Mon. and Tues. but also am having difficulty with Sun.  I have tried to call Le Reminet but I keep getting a recording, and while my husband understands some French, its faster than he can understand.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

First, do not feel like the Lone Ranger! There is something about a rapid fire telephone recording that terrifies even the most courageous of us. Can you call your hotel and ask them to reserve for you, or are you staying in an apartment? If the latter, I might try to contact the apartment owner/manager and ask if they would be willing to do this service for you. Yes, it is beyond the call of duty, but I have no doubt that the manager of the last apartment we rented from would have done this in a heartbeat. Many of them advertise that they are "here to help you with any problems relating to your stay..." Good luck.

eGullet member #80.