• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle Restaurant for Dinner

I will be doing a bit of a culinary tour of the Northwest from Whistler to Seattle commencing today and reporting along the way. I have one night in Seattle in which to partake in yet another restaurant on the "Tour" (will be posted in the Canada>Vancouver, BC forum).

All eyes were on Cascadia or the Herbfarm. Herbfarm is too far from the downtown core (for this sojourn anyway) and Cascadia is closed for a private function (I will be in Downtown Seattle on Friday/Saturday Sept. 12-13). Recent posts by mebers in this forum have swayed some of my choices due to their writings, which have always been respected based on past postings.

Some names passed along have been Brasa, Lampreia, Rover's and a few others which are often mentioned. It would be most appreciated if some recommendations from this forum's members would give some suggestions for a Friday night dinner in Seattle to complete the "Eating the Northwest Tour"

Cheers

"Expect nothing, be prepared for anything."

Rovers is the best restaurant in Seattle. I would venture to say our one truly world-class restaurant (though I haven't tried quite all of them). If you're after an over-the-top, all-night meal, you'll find it here.

Harvest Vine, right up the street, is a whole different game (it's in a converted garage, with garage door still in residence!), but it's also verging on world-class. Tapas, and a spanish/portugese/basque/SW french wine list to die for. It's where the top chefs in Seattle go. Long waits during prime time.

Brasa makes one of the top meals in Seattle, very urban, downtown, beautiful modern decor. I've eaten there a couple of dozen times. Tamara Murphy, former chef at Campagne. Her work is glorious. Brian's wine list epitomizes smart and itneresting. If you don't mind eating at nursing-home hours, the bar menu is half-price 5-7, 7 days a week. (Not the drinks, though.)

Le Gourmand is a special gem in the corner of nowhere (Ballard) but though I adore it, it's not to everyone's taste. Very french with a kitchen garden, and a style of cooking and presentation that is all Bruce's own. Also perfect for a multi-hour meal.

Herbfarm is way overrated. Not worth the drive or the money, IMO. Comparing it to Rovers is ridiculous.

Cafe Campagne is consistently *great* bistro food. There have been no few times eating in France when I thought how I could be eating better at Cafe Campagne.

Avoid Canlis.

That's what comes off the top of my head (besides my steadily thinning hair... )

Edited by SparrowsFall (log)

"Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon." --Dalai Lama

I'd add Mistral to your list (see the "Mistral Tonight!" thread below).

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

The finest meal I've eaten in Seattle was at the Harvest Vine. I'm not sure wether this made a difference but the owner and his wife were not there, they were at a wedding. The dinner was prepared by the sous chef about two feet from us on the other side of the bar. You must make a few sacrafices though to eat here. Come early, like Saturday at 4:30 for our foursome, don't expect flawless service, and order many dishes. You will be pleased.

I also second the opinion of Cafe Campagne, great bistro food and nicer room then Le Pichet up the street. I also had a good meal at the bar at the Dahlia lounge but it could not be confused with a dining experience. So far I have yet to find a quintessentially Seattle fine dining experience. All the great places seem to be French or Spanish or Steakhouses or Oyster Bars. The closest thing was Fullers when Monique Barbeau was the chef.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Thank you so much to everyone who has contributed suggestions. Most appreciated, and I knew that this would be a great group to get excellent suggestions from!

Looks like Le Pichet, Cafe Campagne and Mistral will win out on this leg of the tour. Although, I am now very curious about The Harvest Vine, may need to visit again in the very near future. Looking forward to seeing Seattle and it's dining rooms again.

Cheers!

"Expect nothing, be prepared for anything."