• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

portuguese restaurants

fresco

I've tried Chiado and Adega--first good, second not so good. But have been wanting to try Casa da Ramboia on Dundas near Dovercourt. Can anyone tell me about their experience(s) there? Anyplace else worth trying?

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Since this is a Central Canada thread also - there is more to Ontario than TO :rolleyes: - how about El Meson on Beechwood in Ottawa. Offers very good, rustic Portugese and Spanish...

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

Since this is a Central Canada thread also - there is more to Ontario than TO  :rolleyes: -  how about El Meson on Beechwood in Ottawa.  Offers very good, rustic Portugese and Spanish...

When I left Alberta to come here, people warned me that Toronto was the asshole of the world. So when people here insist that it is the centre of the universe, I always just say diplomatically that I'd heard much the same thing about Toronto back in Alberta. :biggrin:

Hmmm....If Toronto was the asshole of the world, are you just passing through?

And when I was living in Alberta after moving from Vancouver, when asked why doesn't Vancouver fall into the water, I used to respond "it's because Alberta sucks".

Sorry fresco, but you asked for it.

"I hate people who are not serious about their meals." Oscar Wilde

• 1 month later...

I dont' know about Toronto but my sister law held a party at Mario's chicken place ; in Mississauga, best dam roast and grilled chicken plus excellent dipping hot sauce. I loved it! Best cod and shrimp appetizers and potatoes and rice. I'm going back.

• 3 months later...

Looking for a good resto to show out-of-towners an interesting area while dining portuguese. Anything around Dundas W. or College st. wothwhile? And while I know Chiado to be very good, its a little too high end /not what I had in mind for the evening. Oh, have also been to Joso's and was hoping to try something new. Any suggestions?

I've been meaning to try Cataplana, which gets great word of mouth from Portuguese friends. Not inexpensive, but apparently very good. It's on the College Street strip.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I also would like to see a revival in this discussion. I'm trying to find a portugese place for a couple reasons. The first is so that I can learn about the cuisine so am looking for the more authentic like places. However, I will be dining with others who are mostly looking to have a nice night out without spending the price that Chiado charges. Right now Adega seems to be the most interesting looking to me but would love to hear more opinions.

Hi - thought I'd resurrect this discussion in case someone had something to add.

Cataplana?  Chiado?  Perla?  Any thoughts on TO's best Portuguese?

I have eaten at Adega twice in the past year, both times the meal and the service were great. The grilled octopus (main) was cooked perfectly and absolutely delicious, and we all know how bad overcooked octopus can be. Another time I had some sort of fish of the day, don't recall having any complaints. Their gilled sardines (app) were also terrific and perfectly cooked. All in all, both times a nice evening at a reasonable price.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Sounds like a nice meal, Jake.  Did you have wine with it?

But of course we did! :biggrin::biggrin: Can one dine without? :shock: Seriously, I know one time I ordered and it was off list, something from Portugal of course, that they only had in limited quantities....I'm sorry, the name escapes me now as it has been awhile. The other time was with bus. acquaintances and I don't recall the wine being anything unusual, likely just a mid priced bottle one could find at any TO restaurant. I imagine the list is okay, as I think I would recall if it was not.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.