• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Winebow Portfolio Tasting 9/17-18/03

KatieLoeb

Hi:

Just wondering if any of the wine professionals here will be attending the Winebow Portfolio tasting in New York City Wednesday and Thursday 9/17 and 9/18. I'm planning on attending on Thursday 9/18 and will be taking the train up from either Phladelphia or driving to Trenton and taking the train from there. I'll most likely be accompanied by Melissa, the sommeliere here at Striped Bass. If anyone will be there, I'd love to meet, compare notes and say hello. May hang out for an early dinner in the Big Apple and then head back. Nothing too pricey or fancy, but I've sort of outlived my enthusiasm at Gramercy Tavern and Union Square Cafe. Any other suggestions for a light and not outrageously priced dinner? The wine tasting is taking place at a hotel (don't have the invite with me I'm afraid) that's on 18th St. between 7th & 8th Avenues I believe. I was thinking of hitting the Village or perhaps Cornelia Street Cafe. Never been but always heard good things about the place. Is it still good, or was my information flawed.

Thanks. Looking forward to meeting anyone that might be there.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

katie -

if they are offering it try the zardetto prosecco brut - it is affordable and might go down in cape may as a glass...i've started to use it up here in north jersey since it doesn't taste like most italian sparkling wines

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Katie:

If you want to go to Cornelia St. Cafe to hear some musicians you like play in their bar downstairs, by all means go. But if you're going there for the food, as of the last time I went, it's quite acceptable but nothing special and kind of pricey for what it is ($18 or something for penne all'arabbiata as of a couple of years ago). I'm an East Sider now, so my knowledge of places in the West Village is limited. I actually eat in Chelsea more often than the Village. My favorite place in Chelsea is Grand Sichuan on 24th and 9th, but if you want Italian, you could do a lot worse than Peppe Giallo (I think it is) on 10th between 24th and 25th Sts. You can have a light, informal dinner there. I won't praise the place to the high heavens, but it's authentic (all the staff speak Italian), and if you want a panino, the tricolore (fresh mozzarella, arugula, basil, tomato) was solid-to-excellent the last times I had it (though it's been a while). They also have a nice garden.

Il Bagatto, Lavagna, and Col Legno are all better but somewhat more expensive, and they're pretty far east of where you'll be. Il Bagatto gets loud and crowded later at night (even on week nights), and you'd better reserve unless you want to either risk a long wait or eat at the bar (which I did last time). There are some more quiet rooms downstairs in the bar area, though. Lavagna is a little cramped but very pleasant; reservations recommended. Col Legno is sedate and quiet and you're unlikely to have any trouble being accomodated without a reservation. On food, I would recommend all three but would tend to rate them as follows, starting with the best: Il Bagatto, Lavagna, and then Col Legno. But food isn't the only consideration. If you want yet more wine, I've had excellent luck (?) at both Il Bagatto and Lavagna; Il Bagatto also makes good mixed drinks. I usually don't get wine at Col Legno but when I have, it's been tasty but nothing amazing.

If you want to go in a completely different direction, since you'll have to go back to Penn Station anyway, would Korean food be up your alley?

Michael aka "Pan"

katie -

if they are offering it try the zardetto prosecco brut - it is affordable and might go down in cape may as a glass...i've started to use it up here in north jersey since it doesn't taste like most italian sparkling wines

Suzi:

I know that the Zardetto Prosecco is a Winebow product. I'm very fond of it, but I like the prosecco from Bele Casel (it's represented by Fleet Street Importers. PM me if you need their number - the whole portfolio is excellent) that we are already using as our by-the-glass sparkling at Martini Beach. It's about $2 more but a little more elegant, IMHO than the Zardetto. Also a little less "usual" so it's a good selling point since it's not something a lot of folks have seen or had before. But hey - all prosecco is good to me! The "Champagne of the Veneto" works quite well for what it's meant to do. Refreshing and easy drinking stuff. Not overly sweet like a lot of the Asti Spumante that most people associate with Italian sparkers. Haven't met anyone yet that hasn't liked it... :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

If you want to go in a completely different direction, since you'll have to go back to Penn Station anyway, would Korean food be up your alley?

Pan:

Thank you for the suggestions. It turns out that now my friend (the GM at the Cape May restaurant) is going to come up to Philly and join Melissa and myself for the tasting. Since she's doing a lot of the buying now since I'm otherwise occupied, we're thinking about going to our very favorite place in New York - The Tasting Room. I haven't been there in over a year, and I just love it there. Great creative menu and really interesting All American wines-by-the-glass as well as the regular wine list. Am going to call to see if reservations can be had that evening and will hopefully be going there. If not, will certainly check into your suggestions. I appreciate the heads up on Cornelia Street Cafe. As I said, I'd always heard good things, but I don't live there so I have to rely on past information (or mis-information) for what sounded good at the time.

I'll defintely post back afterward and let everyone know what we ended up doing.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Katie,

By the way congrats ont the promotion. I went to the Atlanta tasting and be sure to try their Leonardo Locasci selections. I think he is doing some amazing things with indigenous grapes. I especilly liked the Rose di Regaleali a great rose :wub: that is a real hit here in the Mid South as a summer quaffer and it is a good match with Grilled tuna or salmon. Also a great value in a white is his Lugana by Zenato. I wish I could come to NY to do the Tatsting again, You should have a ball.

Hi Katie,

I will probably go on Thursday. I have always enjoyed your posts, and it would be a pleasure to say hello.

Ed

Hi Ed:

Excellent! I assume they're making up those goofy name tags once everyone RSVP's via their website (HERE - if you haven't). If not, I'll either wear a red carnation in my lapel, or perhaps Groucho glasses so you'll be able to recognize me :biggrin:. Actually, I'll just try to post what I'm wearing that morning and make it easy, OK?

This should be a great tasting. dlc - thanks for the props and the good advice. I'll absolutely hunt down that rose. I've tried some of the other Regaleali wines and always loved them. I'm meaning to stock some higher end roses on the list at Striped Bass because even if the customers don't always order it (post-traumatic white zin pinkphobic disorder, I think) I want to have it around for Chef's tables and such. Sometimes easing into the red wines with a rose after the whites is just the ticket. I was practically weeping last weekend when there wasn't anything worthy in the cellar for a poached salmon and chive butter sauce course on a Chef's table menu I has to put together at the last minute. We'd had the only three bottles of Unti Grenache Rose (utterly phenomenal wine as well as great winery in general) on the East Coast and they were all already gone 695.gif. It would have been awe inspiring with the salmon. In the end it didn't really matter because the customers turned out to be bloody Philistines that didn't really "get" the whole Chef's table concept. Arrived late, got completely trashed at the bar before they even sat down to dinner, and started switching up the wine I'd so carefully chosen for the fifth course and drank it earlier with something it didn't go with at all. Grrrrr.....By then I was like 1335.gif Mericfully, this is why I don't work on the floor during service. I'm far less homicidal behind my desk :rolleyes: . Intellectually, as much as I can appreciate someone wanting to drink Cabernet with their oysters, and understanding that it is their perogative to do so as long as they pay the check, emotionally it still makes me feel like the time spent was all for naught and somehow devalues both the restaurant, and the entire experience.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I was aware of that but I don't think they use his name on all of their offerings.  If they do I am sorry for the misinformation

The Italian selections are usually labelled Leonardo Locascio. They handle many important importers also. Kermit Lynch among them. Ask them if they have some Raveneau under the table!

Mark

Ask them if they have some Raveneau under the table!

Thanks Mark!! Excellent tip! It's always the "under-the-table" stash that's worth hunting down. 147.gif I'm in the fortunate position of buying for three rather different properties, so the salespeople go out of their way to be nice and be my new best friend since it's a big account. Makes it easier for me to try the high end stuff without having to grovel for it. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Hi Ed:

I'm wearing burgundy tweed trousers and a long wine-colored (duh - in case of spills!) sweater. Shoulder length auburn hair, about 5'7". I'll be with a stunning redhead and a petite brunette. It's the Chicks of Striped Bass Wine Tour - woo-hoo!

Hope to see you (and anyone else that might be attending) there!

Cheers,

Katie

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!