• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good German restaurant in NYC?

sherribabee

Can anyone suggest a good German restaurant? I don't trust sites like citysearch to help me out any, I'd rather go on the advice of a real foodie!

Also, any recommendations for a good German bakery? How I miss authentic bienenstich! :wub:

Thanks!

Sherri A. Jackson

Ignorant question:

How is a German bakery different from a Viennese one? (I do know an excellent Viennese bakery, if you want a recommendation.)

Not ignorant at all (at least I don't think so, because I have no idea what the difference might be).

I've been to bakeries in Germany, but never in Vienna (or a Viennese bakery in the US). I'd love to have your recommendation though, so I could at least try it out. Thanks!

Sherri A. Jackson

Danube is hardly a traditional Austrian restaurant however. It's elegant and has very good food, neither of which removes it from Austria, but it's also very nouveau and chef driven in a way that would make it seem unAustrian, I think, to an Austrian. I don't know any of the German restaurants. Luchow's was probably never as good as I remember it being, but I miss it now. There used to be some good konditorei as well as German restaurants up on East 86th Street and around in Yorkville in the east 80s, but it seems most are gone as the neighborhood has changed. Heidelberg is one of the few that remain, but I've never eaten there.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Anna’s Place , ( former Jaegerhaus ) 97-11 Queens Blvd., Rego Park, 897-3035 or 897-3036

Gebhardt’s of Floral Park , 230 Jericho Turnpike , Floral Park, NY , (516) 354-8185

Niederstein’s Restaurant , 69-16 Metropolitan Ave., Middle Village , Phone: 326-0717

Zum Stammtisch , 69-46 Myrtle Ave., Glendale, 386-3014

"Good" is relative !

I think just about 'all' German Restaurants in the US are identified by the American thinking 'that's German' , which in turn is oompha music, Schnitzels, Sauerbraten, Spaetzle, Dumplings and Rollmops.

These thoughts are running along the same line: 'all' Italian Restaurants must be serving pasta and red sauces.

And yes, there are some real (but few 'German trained') German Chefs out there, that will prepare these (never high caliber) German dishes to perfection (percieved by whom)

So, what is 'good'? Some places' Schnitzels are gooder than good.

And in others the Fusilli are cooked al Dente

(One last thought: Zum Stammtisch at least serves a 'very good' Steak Tartar)

Peter

Ignorant question:

How is a German bakery different from a Viennese one? (I do know an excellent Viennese bakery, if you want a recommendation.)

Not ignorant at all (at least I don't think so, because I have no idea what the difference might be).

I've been to bakeries in Germany, but never in Vienna (or a Viennese bakery in the US). I'd love to have your recommendation though, so I could at least try it out. Thanks!

Something Sweet Inc

177 1st Avenue, New York, NY 10003

(212) 533-9986

Nowhere to sit down. It's an old-fashioned Viennese bakery, though the baker/proprietress does try something new on and old theme from time to time. She's very nice and usually gives me something for free when I go there, but I don't go too often because those pastries are so rich. :biggrin::biggrin:

Great stuff for the soul, though.

Michael aka "Pan"

I like Hallo Berlin. They are fast, good, and cheap. There is always a good selection of beers and a nice selection of sausages. They have two locations, both in Manhatten: one is at 10th Ave at 44th and the other is on 51st near 9th Avenue. The one on 10th Avenue is much bigger, and I think it is a little more fun.

I've also enjoyed Zum Schneider quite a few times. However, I find that I have a pounding headache the next morning after every time I visit there. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. About me or the restaurant. :smile:

I've always thought the Hallo Berlin wurst cart on 54th off Fifth was one of the better street food offerings in NY, but I have to admit that eating in one of the Hallo Berlin restaurants was definitely not an improvement over eating on the street or carrying it over to the park. Then again, they had beer.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

i think one of the small distinctions between viennese bakery and german bakery:

if you're thinking on the level of "viennoiserie" or viennese konditerei...that's mostly pastry and petit four type of things?! german bakery meaning a place that sells really good dark breads, etc?

another try at sounding like i know what i'm talking about...any other ideas?

alanamoana, you could have fooled me. :wink:

But a point you brought up is good: at least here, we think of "Viennese" as pastry, and "German" as bread. So I would go somewhere like Orwasher for great bread, all sorts of light and dark, hearty and light. Ooh, and it's getting close to time for their seasonal Pumpkin Bread, which makes THE BEST french toast. For pastry, I'd go to a French bakery, since (and I know this will get me in trouble) good Viennese is not quite as good as good French. (Ducks :laugh: )

For pastry, I'd go to a French bakery, since (and I know this will get me in trouble) good Viennese is not quite as good as good French. (Ducks  :laugh: )

I think they're both great, and so are Neapolitan pastries, but there's a little bit of comparing apples to oranges here, isn't there?

Michael aka "Pan"

• 2 years later...

Hoping for the Wurst: A Journal's Diner New York Entry #20

Despite my best efforts, I run into restaurants that do not deserve a full review: they lack interest or my tasting was insufficient. Hallo Berlin falls in both categories. Hallo Berlin is a small restaurant, a step up from fast food, with a pleasant garden in back.

Although Hallo Berlin is known for the most casual side of the menu (their wursts and a good selection of draft beer), it also offers more substantial German fare that I have not tried, such as schnitzel, rouladen, and sauerbraten.

What I did try - their wursts and a few side dishes - were ordinary and inoffensive. Fair value in a city in which the grand old Yorkville restaurants (the Bremen House Restaurant, the Jaeger House) have long passed from the scene. (The Heidelberg still serves German food, but I hear it is not worth the trip).

I found the Bratwurst satisfying, but my companion, a Milwaukee Cheesehead, felt it did not meet local standards. My Currywurst was somewhat dried out and the curry sauce, always mild by Mumbai standards, could still have used a little oomph. I enjoyed the sweet red cabbage and the tangy sauerkraut, but found the pickled potato salad a bit of a bore. Our rollmops (wine herring stuffed with vegetables) were soggy and sour.

With its modest prices Hallo Berlin satisfies a sausage craving, but unfortunately this is not, ahem, wurst at its best.

Hallo Berlin

626 10th Avenue

Manhattan (Hell's Kitchen)

212-977-1944

My Webpage: Vealcheeks

Two weeks ago I asked two German nationals who have been living in NYC for many years if there were any good German restaurants in Manhattan. They each regularly host guests from Germany, one on behalf of the German government.

They both answered "no."

They both appreciate the Wurst cart at 54th and Fifth (as well as the related Hallo Berlin) for what they are worth, but beyond that could not recommend anywhere.

Knowledge is good.

• 8 months later...

http://zumstammtisch.com/

We visited this restaurant in March 2006 with some friends.

I had the Jaegerschnitzel which was delicious. I also tasted one of my dinner companion's Kassler Rippchen (pork loin) which was also very good.

I had potato salad as a side dish and tasted some of the red cabbage - I enjoyed both.

My husband and the rest of our buddies thought thought the steak tartare was flavorful and fresh. I can't comment on this since I didn't taste it.

The only thing I thought was "so-so" was the Schartzwälder Kirsch Torte (Black Forest Cake). The cake itself was a bit dry and the whipped cream tasted like the stuff from the can, not real "schlag."