• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making it?

jsolomon

I'm in a problem, currently. My girlfriend told her mother that I had been known to brew beer in the past. Now, I am the proud owner of about 8 pounds of wild plums with the expectation of making wine out of them.

While I understand that it is rude for me to look at this as an imposition, I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with this sort of thing.

Help?!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Ratafia. I think that is it. It is a maceration of wine, brandy and fruit. Should be easy to find a recipe. My good friend chef Jon of Earth and Ocean, W hotel Seattle Wa used to make killer Ratafias. I think that is how you spell them. No boiling or brewing required. Just stewing for a year or so. Good Luck.

PS cheap wine, cheap brandy I might add. :rolleyes:

Edited by Carema (log)

over it