• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Packaged Cookies

hjshorter

I was wondering when 'trix would chime in, especially after someone mentioned above that Hydrox are no longer. I wonder if Oreo's switch to kashrut was inspired by the lack of Hydrox availability?

I believe that Nabisco sought out kosher supervision because they believed it was a way to increase market share.

I have to admit, I don't frequent the packaged cookie aisle in the supermarket, but I believe I've seen Sunshine products at the Shop-Rite I go to in Englewood. I think the reason you don't see Hydrox is because they don't sell a lot of product and supermarkets aren't going to give them prime shelf space. I know that among my packaged-cookie eating friends, once Oreos received the hechsher, they no longer even contemplated Hydrox. Why eat an imitation when you can eat the real thing?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Oh man, I had forgotten about fudge covered Oreos.  I don't buy them, because I would tear them open in the car and they would be gone before I got home.

Oh yes. They were good frozen. And never lasted more than a couple days.

My mother has always been firmly in the Hydrox-were-better camp but I never got a chance to compare.

Aren't Jaffa cakes the ones "with smashing orangy bits!" That killed us the first time we saw a package but I don't believe we were sober.

Nonni's Biscotti, the kind with a thin layer of chocolate on the bottom.  I keep eating boxes and boxes of them, and at $4 for 6 biscotti, I have to figure out how to control myself.  Particularly good with green tea, or any mild tea, not Earl Grey.  I know it's not really a cookie for tea, but it's so good, it transcends the genre, as they say.

Currently on sale at the pharmacy downstairs (Seattle- Bartell's) for $0.99 a box - 4 or 5 flavors.

the LU "Little Schoolboys" (Le Petit Ecolier) . Also known as Crack.

There exists nothing better prepackaged. Period.

French-made butter cookies topped with a slab of milk chocolate.

http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/bis...us.php3?item=51

I couldn't agree with you more! I especially like the dark chocolate one's. I also love Mallomars, but I'm not sure if they're making them anymore. Can't find them around here to save my life.

Life without chocolate is too terrible to contemplate.

And how come no one has mentioned Mother's?  If you've never tried this brand of cookie, I strongly recommend the Taffy Cookies and the Peanut Butter Gauchos. For those of you not living in the South, you can order them on-line.  I've never seen them north of the Mississippi.  Do they have them on the West Coast? 

Yes, we have mother's cookies on the west coast. Don't forget the pink and white covered animal cookies they have.

I do love the traditional animal crackers in the little boxes from when I was a kid.

And the Pepperidge Farm Pirouettes I think their called. The crisp, thin cookies rolled into a "cigarette." Plain and with bits of chocolate in them.

Basically, I love almost all cookies.

Who mentioned amaretti . . . yum. Who else besides me grew up in LA and remembers these little treats at the old Will Wright's ice cream parlors?

So long and thanks for all the fish.

I also love Mallomars, but I'm not sure if they're making them anymore.  Can't find them around here to save my life.

Doing a web search, one site said they are seasonal:

"On the eastern coast of the USA, Nabisco Mallomars (Northeastern USA) are very popular and also the oldest known example of marshmallow biscuits; the first cookies were sold in New York City in 1913. Today, New York City consumes 70% of all the Mallomars purchased. [ :blink: ] Because they are made with dark chocolate, Mallomars are not available from April to September, since they melt easily in the heat of summer..."

Maybe you can't find them because they may not be in season, yet. Who knew? You should read the article since they also mention other similar cookies. Those others may be sold in your area and may be a (poor) substitute until you can get the real thing.

Also, you can ask your supermarket manager if they carry them or can they order some. If they're available, that's one way of getting them in stock. Stock up and freeze them for the summer months.

I didn't see them listed on the Nabisco web site either but they may be available only in certain regions of the country, too. If you have a serious "jones" for them, here's a place where you can order them online. I have never ordered from them so I can't vouch for the site. I would just be cautious about ordering them during a warm time of year.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

About 20 years ago, my brother introduced me to two Pepperidge Farm cookies - San Moritz and Zanzibar - which were promptly "retired" from their cookie line, dagnabbit. The San Moritz was a thin shortbready-cookie with chocolate bits and nuts strewn throughout, and the Zanzibar was pure coconut. We stuffed ourselves when we found them at Corti Bros. in Sacramento.

Since then, not too much as had the same appeal. The new Oreo mint sammich cookies aren't too bad.

I like making cookies - current fave is a version of a chocolate chip cookie but with chunks of Ghirardelli chocolate, sour cherries, some oatmeal, and a cup of Skor bits that melt down, making for one lumpy chewy cookie.

I also love Mallomars, but I'm not sure if they're making them anymore.  Can't find them around here to save my life.

Doing a web search, one site said they are seasonal:

"On the eastern coast of the USA, Nabisco Mallomars (Northeastern USA) are very popular and also the oldest known example of marshmallow biscuits; the first cookies were sold in New York City in 1913. Today, New York City consumes 70% of all the Mallomars purchased. [ :blink: ] Because they are made with dark chocolate, Mallomars are not available from April to September, since they melt easily in the heat of summer..."

Maybe you can't find them because they may not be in season, yet. Who knew? You should read the article since they also mention other similar cookies. Those others may be sold in your area and may be a (poor) substitute until you can get the real thing.

Also, you can ask your supermarket manager if they carry them or can they order some. If they're available, that's one way of getting them in stock. Stock up and freeze them for the summer months.

I didn't see them listed on the Nabisco web site either but they may be available only in certain regions of the country, too. If you have a serious "jones" for them, here's a place where you can order them online. I have never ordered from them so I can't vouch for the site. I would just be cautious about ordering them during a warm time of year.

:biggrin: Thanks for the info, Toliver! Oh how I'd love to get a box of Mallomars delivered to my door. :wub:

Life without chocolate is too terrible to contemplate.

Needless to say, when Oreos became kosher you would have thought the Messiah had revealed himself.  Everyone I knew was running out to the store to get their hands on the coveted Oreo.

I sent several boxes to friends of mine in Israel when Oreos became kosher. They still talk about it. :biggrin: I never really liked Oreos myself.

Another vote for Le Petit Ecolier (dark chocolate only).

Fudge covered graham crackers and Danish wedding cookies from Keebler, Girl Scout Peanut Butter cookies, and Fig Newtons and Cameos from Nabisco.

Damn. Guess I'm stopping at the store on the way home.....

No kidding. egullet should get a commission from Nabisco.

Edited by claire797 (log)

My local grocery had LU cookies on sale this week, so for research purposes :rolleyes: I came home with Petite Ecolier, milk and extra-dark chocolate varieties and raspberry and orchard pear Pim's.

The raspberry Pims were OK, the pear were...wow. I have a hard time limiting myself to just one. And the DEA should definitely be looking at classifying the Petite Ecolier, especially the extra-dark kind.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Are President's Choice "The Decadent" chocolate chip cookies available in the US?

President's Choice used to be available at D'Agostino's Supermarkets in NYC and i loved everything. The ginger snaps were the best ever, very spicy; the lemon sandwich cookies were delicious...i was very upset when i couldn't buy them there anymore.

I miss pepperidge farm's Molasses Crisp.

My absolute favorite is a cookie called "Ladybugs" which I've found at a couple of upscale deli/gourmet food stores. The raspberry version is two thin chocolate cookies sandwiched with a generous layer of raspberry cream, then dunked in a thick layer of chocolate. I don't know the company name, as there is never a box lying around the house. They're expensive and come 8 to a box.

There's a peanut butter version I haven't tried and don't plan to, but you might like it.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

My absolute favorite is a cookie called "Ladybugs" which I've found at a couple of upscale deli/gourmet food stores.  The raspberry version is two thin chocolate cookies sandwiched with a generous layer of raspberry cream, then dunked in a thick layer of chocolate.  I don't know the company name, as there is never a box lying around the house.  They're expensive and come 8 to a box.

There's a peanut butter version I haven't tried and don't plan to, but you might like it.

Ruth,

I keep seeing those cookies in Central Market, but haven't picked up a pack. I'll pick some up on your recommendation. They're called "Nikki's".

Nikki's

Mmm, forgot about those - Ladybugs are amazing.

Oh, in the name of research - found some new cookies by LU this weeekend - individually wrapped, box of 6. Shortbread cookie with chocoalte (or hazelnut) filling, crisped rice, coated in chocolate. Pretty darn good. But the wrappings didn't slow the eating by much.

Edited by tsquare (log)

ok, so I picked up the extra dark LU ecoliers, and really, it's too much. Just this side of baking chocolate, and a bit chalky. Should've got the Oreos for my chance to find the magic cookie that turns milk blue and win a million! Is this thread starting to remind anyone else of that "plate of shrimp" scene in Repo Man?

OK, so I've tried SEVERAL types of cookies I've never tried before, and the extra dark LU ecoliers ARE a little bit too much. On the good side, though, one is enough. SO liked them, the kid didn't (another plus). Tomorrow we'll be trying the orange Pim's (we've already tried the milk chocolate Pim's which were VERY good) Up til now, I hadn't tried many types of cookies, and Mother's cookies do not seem special to me. I really like Archer's Dutch Chocolate cookies. I like dark chocolate, but the LU extra dark are too dark for me, which surprised me. Oreos are yucky and not worth the calories, IMO.

Nonni's Biscotti, the kind with a thin layer of chocolate on the bottom.  I keep eating boxes and boxes of them, and at $4 for 6 biscotti, I have to figure out how to control myself.  Particularly good with green tea, or any mild tea, not Earl Grey.  I know it's not really a cookie for tea, but it's so good, it transcends the genre, as they say.

Currently on sale at the pharmacy downstairs (Seattle- Bartell's) for $0.99 a box - 4 or 5 flavors.

Just tried those and they're great! My grocery had three kinds - plain almond, plain almond dipped in chocolate (the bottom of the cookie), and chocolate almond dipped in chocolate. I bought the chocolate dipped varieties. I'm going to send some to my grandmother because she loves biscotti. What are the other flavors?

I totally agree with the extra-dark Petit Ecolier observations ... the chocolate is just not good -- chalky, as Jess Mebane said. Grainy.

The regular bittersweet is smooth and snappy. Chocolatey. Far superior.

Trader Joe's has in the past carried the LU pear Pims, for you LU pear Pims fans.

No Petit Ecolier, however they do have a knockoff version with a rook imprint on the chocolate tablet, Le Chevalier Noir, I believe it's called, perfectly NOT a Monty Python reference, I feel certain, which not as good as LU but way inexpensive and convenient.

Either Petit Ecolier or Le Chevalier Noir are nice with a hit of Calvados or brandy or cognac, especially if, like me, you don't like cookies.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Just tried those and they're great! My grocery had three kinds - plain almond, plain almond dipped in chocolate (the bottom of the cookie), and chocolate almond dipped in chocolate. I bought the chocolate dipped varieties. I'm going to send some to my grandmother because she loves biscotti. What are the other flavors?

One had mint and chocolate. That just seems wrong. No recall on the other. I'll look.

Edit to add: The other is bite sized almond biscotti enrobed in chocolate.

Edited by tsquare (log)

One had mint and chocolate. That just seems wrong. No recall on the other. I'll look.

Edit to add: The other is bite sized almond biscotti enrobed in chocolate.

Ahhhhh! Thanks! Now I feel like I've tasted the best of Nonni's already.