• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Packaged Cookies

hjshorter

The market were I shop had a special on Carr's Lemon Ginger Cremes last week for $1.99, these are very good and have a nice spicy bite. Also bought LU Le Petit Écolier Dark and Extra-Dark Chocolate, both winners because I adore dark chocolate. And LU Pim's Raspberry, Orchard Pear, Orange are really lovely too. Add all these to my favorites now.

~Amy

I once accidentaly purchased a package of Archway Low Fat Fudge cookies. I thought that I was reaching for the rocky road flavor. Upon returning home, I stood staring at the package,wondering how I could have made such an awful error. Just as I was about to return to the store that still, small voice inside of me rose up screamed, "For crying out sideways they're still chocolate!"

So, I tried one.

I am now a devoted fan and have been known to request them as birthday gifts.

I once accidentaly purchased a package of Archway Low Fat Fudge cookies. I thought that I was reaching for the rocky road flavor. Upon returning home, I stood staring at the package,wondering how I could have made such an awful error. Just as I was about to return to the store that still, small voice inside of me rose up screamed, "For crying out sideways they're still chocolate!"

So, I tried one.

I cannot have Pims in the house - gone before the rest of the groceries are put away. Also have serious issues with Girl Scout choc covered peanut butter thingies and chocolate covered graham crax. I like Anna's ginger thins with a cup of tea.

While scouting/shopping at Trader Joe's the other day I came across some cookies called Chevalier Noir which looked to be a knock-off of the LU dark chocolate variety. 12 cookies/5.25 oz package for $1.69. Has anyone seen or tried these? They can't be as good as the LU brand, right?

I guess that for $1.69 I should have just bought them and tried them out...oh well, next time.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 3 weeks later...
far as I am concerned mallomars are the worlds greatest packaged cookie other than that I throughly enjoy:

i'd never heard of mallomars until today, when 2 boxes showed up in my kitchen. they are apparently for relatives who are visiting from TX (apparently they're not sold in TX). i've already eaten 1/2 box. :blink::blink::blink:

far as I am concerned mallomars are the worlds greatest packaged cookie other than that I throughly enjoy:

i'd never heard of mallomars until today, when 2 boxes showed up in my kitchen. they are apparently for relatives who are visiting from TX (apparently they're not sold in TX). i've already eaten 1/2 box. :blink::blink::blink:

OMG, mallowmars are the shiznit. My dad accidentally bought a case recently when he thought he was asking for a box for my grandmother. She used to stock these faithfully for our visits. Mallowmars rule!

But they're not cookies....are they?

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Trader Joe's sells Carr's Lemon Ginger Cremes (cookies)  :wub:  that I find extremely addictive and refreshing.  Plus they have the tiniest of "bites" to them (from the ginger?) which I enjoy.  You can see a picture of them here.

word. me too!

i got gifted with a pack from work last week. i'm not sure why, but i also got a pack of pre-sliced queso cheese.

haven't tried the cheese, but tore up the cookies last night. now i need more. :wink:

Edited by tryska (log)

There isn't a great UK theme to this thread, but the big surprise over here is Co-Op Chocolate Chip and Hazelnut Butter Cookies. Try them.

......have I even understood the correct translation of 'cookies'?

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

In the odd language known as English language - American style, the word "cookie" is a noun that refers to a small, (usually sweet) "flat or slightly raised cake". The word is believed to be derived from the Dutch "koekje", diminutive of koek cake (1)

1. (Merriam Webster)

So it's not an adjective, but a noun. As mentioned by tryska:

UK: biscuits == US: cookies

Cookies are also a web term but I won't go into that here.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

I once accidentaly purchased a package of Archway Low Fat Fudge cookies.  I thought that I was reaching for the rocky road flavor.  Upon returning home, I stood staring at the package,wondering how I could have made such an awful error.  Just as I was about to return to the store that still, small voice inside of me rose up screamed, "For crying out sideways they're still chocolate!"

So, I tried one.

Beanloaf, I think we are soulmates. :smile:

I love a good chocolate covered graham cracker. Also, those oatmeal girlscout cookies with the peanut butter in the middle.

but for cryin out sideways... anything chocolate will do... :wink:

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

• 2 weeks later...

I know, dead subject, but I had to share....

I just discovered the Knott's Berry Farm shortbread cookie line. Amazing. I've had the Strawberry (which is excellent) and the apricot (off the chains). Not a big raspberry fan, so I'll skip those, but the apricot is very very close to the top of the chart as far as cookies go.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I love those Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies.

I love Girl Scouts Samosas.

I also love Pillsbury Farm Chessmen. I think it's Pillsbury Farm. :hmmm:

Noise is music. All else is food.

• 2 years later...

hands down favorite: Mother's Angelfood Chocolate Chip (which I can now only find as part of a variety pack :mad:)

The little hazelnut chocolate wafer cookies sold at Trader Joes - Cant buy em, cause I cant get the darn things all the way home.

Used to love oreos but the filling changed and they are not as good any more.

I wonder if that happened when the filling changed from being simply sugar and lard? It used to be so in-your-face instantly and purely sweet. Now its not.

Mystic Mints were a college fav, but I dont crave them anymore.

And when in England, my favorite biscuits are Jaffa cakes. Oh my.

Now to find and try the Pim's pear version described above.

(how does one spell "bickie" (diminuitive for biscuit)?)

Edited by Kouign Aman (log)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Thanks for reviving this thread, which I hadn't noticed before!

Of the packaged brands that are readily available here, hands down it's LU "Little Schoolboys" (Le Petit Ecolier), especially their Extra Dark chocolate ones.

Of the ones that are not readily available here, Jaffa Cakes or Pims (what used to be called Pims, anyway -- Jaffa Cakes under a different name).

Walkers Shortbread ain't bad, either!

Edited to add: Wal-Mart (gasp!) also markets a really cheap ($1.00 a box) knock-off of Nabisco's SmartWell's Devil's Food cookies -- the kind that have a cake interior with a chocolatey shell -- that are, to my palate, better than the original because they aren't quite as sweet. They remind me of the cookies I ate growing up.

I also love the Bahlsen chocolate-covered soft gingerbread cookies that are available only at Christmas.

Edited by SuzySushi (log)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs