• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Packaged Cookies

hjshorter

I even make my cheesecake crust out of crushed Chessmen and a bit of melted butter ...

O M G!!!

I have to try this, never even thought of it - forget the fact that Chessmen are not even available in the UK, I will bring back many packages when I go back...

I make my cheesecake crusts here with Digestives, which are pretty good also on their own...

But yes...Chessmen are my favourites

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Plain chocolate Hob Nobs.  If they count.

:wub: The milk chocolate version just doesn't do it for me, but they seem more widely available than the plain chocolate. It's probably just as well...

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

Sunshine was gobbled up by those damn Keebler elves...

:sad:

Sunshine used to make Lemon Coolers. They were powdered sugar-dusted lemon cookies that were delightfully "cool" tasting in the heat of summer. Now I can't find them anymore.

Damn those elves to Hell. :angry:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Sunshine used to also make these "fudge" cookies. The cookie was a lighter chocolate with a filling that was the same color. They were my favorite "dunkers" for years. I can't find them anymore. Damned elves.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Nonni's Biscotti, the kind with a thin layer of chocolate on the bottom. I keep eating boxes and boxes of them, and at $4 for 6 biscotti, I have to figure out how to control myself. Particularly good with green tea, or any mild tea, not Earl Grey. I know it's not really a cookie for tea, but it's so good, it transcends the genre, as they say.

Also, I second (or third?) Girl Scout Thin Mints.

I also like those mini milanos (several flavors) Pepperidge farm just put out. I don't particularly care for Pepp. Farm cookies, but these are too cute for words.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

And those cookies that have a thin layer of fudge on the bottom and then stripes of fudge on top. I don't remember what they're called. But they're really good.

Striped shortbread. Which brand? Mother's aren't bad, but I want some that are better. These have enhanced appeal due to good memories of road trips with a friend.

far as I am concerned mallomars are the worlds greatest packaged cookie other than that I throughly enjoy:

Pepperidge farm Bordeaux, Milanos, Oatmeal & Gingermen

Nutter Butters

Famous Amos Chocolate Chip w. Pecans

Graham Crackers

Stella dora swiss fudge cookies

do not like entemanns chocolate chip or any other 'soft " cookies like my packaged crunchy

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

You're a great mom. Mine used to hoard them away from me and my dad, in the same place her Thai stick was stored.

Sounds like your mom had excellent taste and knew how to plan ahead. I'm curious -- when did you find her hiding place and which stash did you skim from when you did? And when did she catch you?

My favorite packaged cookie, by the way, I think are now called Grisbi Classic (chocolate cakey cookie outside, then a crisp ricey lining around a gooey truffly center). I haven't seen them at grocery stores for about 10 years now, come to think of it. I found a few mentions of them on the web (though Parmalat's web presence is for shit) but I swear I used to get a chocolate-chocolate kind, not chocolate-hazelnut. I've been depriving myself for far too long -- next stop, Italian deli. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Are they still around?

They remind me of a chocolate truffle sent from Bremen, Germany, by our exchange student's mother for our advent calendars. Kind of like a Ferrero Rocher but without the hazelnuts (no, I don't have anything against hazelnuts). Chocolate outside, possibly nut-studded, with that same crispy layer, then a sort of a whipped pale brown chocolate center. I've been searching for another one ever since. Got one on a visit to Bremen that they said was the same thing, but it wasn't. I'm afraid my memory is clouding & I'll never find that perfect truffle again.

Clearly, it's the crispy inner layer that totally does it for me -- makes it so much more dramatic to bite, and the textural contrast with the silky smooth filling is dynamite.

P.S. I think this is my cookie. Recognize it?

Edited by babyluck (log)

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

when did you find her hiding place and which stash did you skim from when you did?  And when did she catch you?

Believe it or not, it was stashed in a cedar closet downstairs in the basement, which acted as my bedroom when I came back for summers during college. My actual childhood bedroom was converted into a tchothcke-room filled with display cases for antique Lalique perfume bottles, Baccarat bar sets, and stuff from 1930's ocean liners. My parents are obsessve me-generation antique collecting pack rats, their entire house is stuffed up with obscenely expensive art nouveau and art deco shit and its amazing that there is any room at all to walk around inside and not worry about tripping over and shattering a $5000 object d'art. Unless they eventually get rid of it (highly unlikely, as they will want to take it with them to Jewish Valhalla) I will probably need to hire an auction house to sell all of this crap, because most of it isn't to my taste.

But I digress.

One day during the I came home from my summer job and found the normally locked cedar closet open with fur coats, dresses and all kinds of shit piled up on my bed, and a quart sized chinese soup container filled with wowie lying on the floor. My guess is the closet was opened in a panic and someone was looking for something. By then (late 1980's) my parents had graduated to more interesting stuff than what was in that deli container, so they didn't even notice that it was gone when I appropriated it and smoked it all with my friends for the remainder of the summer. Never asked me about it.

And oh yeah, I found a huge stash of LU Le Petit Ecolier in the cedar closet. Went great with the pot. She was pissed I ate those.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Never asked me about it.

They each probably thought the other had finished it off, not even thinking that you may have done it. :biggrin:

Sweet.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Not especially all that great-tasting, but my vote is for

Social Teas.

They remind me of my dad.

They remind me of my Lancashire grandmother. Sigh.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

McVities Plain Chocolate Digestives

Paul Newman's version of Oreos. ( They are coming out with a new cookie, similar to their Oreo, but with gingersnaps instead of the chocolate cookie.)

Lady Waltons ( two waffle cookies with thick, thick creamy chocolate in the middle.....put one on top of your coffee cup , let it warm up....)

Bahlsen Chocolate Leibniz cookies. Crisp butter cookie with a really thick coating on one side only, of dark chocolate.

Paul Newman's version of Oreos. ( They are coming out with a new cookie, similar to their Oreo, but with gingersnaps instead of the chocolate cookie.)

Newman-O's suck. I don't give a shit about how many cacao-growing cooperatives in Bolivia which don't use child labor they are supporting or that they don't use artificial ingredients, they don't taste like Oreos at all. The cookie part lacks the burned chocolate taste and the filling is completely out of whack.

The Whole Foods Oreos clones suck too.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Newman-O's suck. I don't give a shit about how many cacao-growing cooperatives in Bolivia which don't use child labor they are supporting or that they don't use artificial ingredients, they don't taste like Oreos at all. The cookie part lacks the burned chocolate taste and the filling is completely out of whack.

Ah, the price of charity.

Kelli