• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Packaged Cookies

hjshorter

We've had a packaged cracker thread. Since I wasn't able to find a packaged cookie thread, I'm starting one. Yes, I know homemade cookies are superior, blah blah blah. But sometimes only a Fig Newton or Oreo will do. What are some of your favorites?

I'll start:

Doublestuff Oreos. I am limited to two at any given time, and keep them well out of reach. :biggrin:

Fig Newtons

Pepperidge Farm Milanos - not the mint or orange

Lorna Doones

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

the LU "Little Schoolboys" (Le Petit Ecolier) . Also known as Crack.

There exists nothing better prepackaged. Period.

French-made butter cookies topped with a slab of milk chocolate.

http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/bis...us.php3?item=51

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Oreos are one of my favorite cookies on the planet!

Those and the Girl Scout cookies that I sold when I was in the scouts. The thin mints were the best, followed by the shortbread.

I think silver suits me so...

...but red is also for me!

Iron Chef Morimoto all the way!

From me, a fan of Iron Chef.

Trader Joe's sells Carr's Lemon Ginger Cremes (cookies) :wub: that I find extremely addictive and refreshing. Plus they have the tiniest of "bites" to them (from the ginger?) which I enjoy. You can see a picture of them here.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

:laugh:

I agree whole-heartedly. A friend turned me on to them about 20 years ago and I've loved them ever since.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Girl Scout Thin Mints followed by their Samoas.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Better - the ones with DARK chocolate.

The 70% dark chocolate. :wub::wub::wub:

Although I just bought a package of LU "Le Fondant" chocolate creme-filled wafers, and they are going fast!

I grew up on Pecan Sandies, Vienna Fingers, and Social Teas, but now I find most American cookies too salty. Except for Nabisco Ginger Snaps, which rank in the world's top 10. :biggrin:

Hydrox. :sad:

Why the :sad: ? Have they been discontinued?

Yes. Sunshine was gobbled up by those damn Keebler elves and they not only changed the name (to "Droxies") but the recipe as well and now I believe they have been completely discontinued.

I would be very happy, though, if someone were to call me a liar.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

I adore butter cookies and shortbreads ... so Butter Chessmen made by Pepperidge Farms is high on my list and anything from Walker's of Scotland ...

I even make my cheesecake crust out of crushed Chessmen and a bit of melted butter ... garcon, please bring me my Lipitor Industrial Strength, s'il vous plait ... :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Better - the ones with DARK chocolate.

I like them both, but for a cookie I prefer the milk chocolate.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I've seen many of my favorites listed -- Carr's Lemon-Ginger cremes, Pepperidge Farms Brussels, Fig Newtons (really), but I'd like to add Archway's Old Fashioned Molasses to the list. I don't know if they are regional (I'm in the Mid-Atlantic), but these are winners. Trader Joe's also makes a good "triple ginger" snap.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: omigod you are so right--my oldest boy and I will blow through a box of those bad boys, washed down with quantities of whole milk on very special occasions. Occasionally just when Dad's been out of town for two or three days, too.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: omigod you are so right--my oldest boy and I will blow through a box of those bad boys, washed down with quantities of whole milk on very special occasions. Occasionally just when Dad's been out of town for two or three days, too.

You're a great mom. Mine used to hoard them away from me and my dad, in the same place her Thai stick was stored.

I don't think I've bought packaged cookies in at least two years, but this thread made me start thinking about them, and now I'm probably going to be spending a huge pile of money tomorrow at Safeway buying every kind I love. A a gallon of milk to go with them. And then I'm gonna sit on my couch and eat them all!

Oh crap, having a dinner party tomorrow. It'll have to wait until Saturday.

But to start complining my list...Le Petit Ecolier, Double Stuff Oreos, Mother's Cookie Parade, Mint Milanos, Soft Batch, and those cookies that are like Oreos, but one side is vanilla and the other side is chocolate. Oh! And those cookies that have a thin layer of fudge on the bottom and then stripes of fudge on top. I don't remember what they're called. But they're really good.

Oh man, I'm gonna gain like ten pounds this weekend.

Oreos, vanilla wafers, dunked in a cold glass of REAL milk... not that low fat crap. The vanilla wafers are a childhood thing. My dad had stomach trouble for a while when I was very young. He would get up in the middle of the night and have milk and vanilla wafers. Sometimes I would hear him and toddle in. He would pour some milk for me, give me some cookies and we would sit there and indulge. Funny thing is, we never said a word to each other at those times. We just sat there with our milk and cookies and "communed". Any other time with my dad I was a jabberwocky, asking endless questions. But milk and cookie time was silent. I treasure the memory.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

pims. i think they're made by lu, if not, they're in the same section. it's a spongey cake-like cookie with jam on top an then coated with chocolate. and these danish honey sammich cookie things. have no idea what they're called, but they're kinda big and round, with really thin, buttery, crisp cookies (think brussels but more pliable), with this unbelievable honey-creme filling. :wub: