• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Packaged Cookies

hjshorter

I think one of my favorites has not been mentioned yet: Peek Frean’s Fruit Crème Cookies (vanilla layer cookie filled with a vanilla creme and a raspberry layer.)

Store-bought amaretti can also be pretty good.

Ooh, I just remembered Austrian Manner Wafers. I especially love the ones filled with lemon, hazelnut or raspberry.

As a kid, I was also a fan of Lemon Coolers and I also liked the waffle-type cookies filled with "creme".

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Packaged cookies...

1) Le Petit Ecolier w/ chocolate - I used to steal these when I worked with a total b*tch who kept them in the office. Ate one when I worked late, my little secret. Plus good method of portion control. She wouldn't miss one, but if the whole pack were to disappear... :hmmm:

2) Pepperidge Farm raspberry milano. I love these cookies, I'm a raspberry freak and knew that as soon as these came out I was a goner. Eat in 3 days (one paper section at a time) - usually.

3) Knotts Berry farm shortbread w/raspberry.

4) Keebler fudge grahams. Loved these when I was a kid...let the cookie kind of melt/dissolve in my mouth.

5) Girl Scouts thin mints...keeping them in the freezer doesn't stop me from scarfing them down (out of sight, out of mind...not!)

6) Nonni's biscotti dipped in chocolate...can you say jumbo tub from BJ's wholesale, individually wrapped? :biggrin:

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

In Korea I used to enjoy...

Chic Choc

Butter Waffle

Cocque d'Asse

I am absolutely not joking about the last one. It came in "regular" and "green tea".

I miss President Choice "The Decadent" from home in Canada. We weren't allowed Oreos when I was young (I think they were too expensive?) but when I got older my parents loosened the purse strings a little and started buying packaged cookies. But I never developed a taste for Oreos. I also like Viva Puffs, which are the Canadian version of Mallomars, I think. But with jam in the middle - and they're available year-round.

When I was a Girl Guide growing up, we only sold one kind of cookies - I don't know if they had an official name, but the box came half and half with vanilla cream and chocolate cream sandwiches. I didn't see a thin mint until I'd grown up...and to this day I don't think more than two varieties are available. Anyone in Canada who can back me up?

Also; Fudgee-os and Dare Maple Sandwiches. I've never turned my nose up at a chocolate digestive or a penguin either.

But,

In my humble opinion,

the greatest packaged cookie available for purchase is......(drum roll please)

The Tim Tam Double Coat

If you haven't visited Australia yet, this is a good reason to go.

I :wub: tim tams. Why oh why can't they sell them in the states. Actually, its probably better that they don't.

I traded with an Australian pen pal some reeces PB cups for a whole whack of tim-tams. OMG, they were fabulous.

They are made with real sugar and not high fructose corn syrup.

When I was a Girl Guide growing up, we only sold one kind of cookies - I don't know if they had an official name, but the box came half and half with vanilla cream and chocolate cream sandwiches. I didn't see a thin mint until I'd grown up...and to this day I don't think more than two varieties are available. Anyone in Canada who can back me up?

The Guides sell the chocolate mint flavour cookies in the fall and the traditional cookie in the spring. It still comes in the two-pack, with one row of vanilla creme and one row of chocolate creme. Sadly, they switched their cookie manufacturer from Christie (the Guides' supplier for 40 years) to Dare two or three years ago and the cookies just aren't quite the same.

d.

Pim's addict here, as well as all flavors of Milano's.

But my secret addiction: Grandmothers peanut butter cookies. You know the ones that sell at gas stations and 7-11's. Chewy yet soft and the peanut butter flavor is not too intense. Gee I think my car needs filling...

Edited by Gigi4808 (log)

We have a wide variety of tim tams in Hong Kong: vanilla, coffee, mint, dark, caramel...

What exactly is a double coat? There's also Gaiety which looks a lot like the tim tam. Amazingly, I haven't tried any yet!

There's way too many choices, although I just picked up a box of the milk chocolate Lu Petit Ecolier for HKD10.90! (Divide by about 7 for Cdn dollars) So far, I haven't seen any dark chocolate ones anywhere.

I actually still like the Oreo - it comes in a "lightly sweet'' flavor which is the regular cream but the sweetness is just right. I finished a whole box in one sitting. :wacko:

Original Oreos, no double stuff or chocolate covered, the Original please!

Walker's Shortbread

Mother's cookies, I like all varieties but the double chocolate, they seem very dry.

of course they all have to be DUNKED in coffee or milk!

Bob R in OKC

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

Hands down... Mother's Flaky Flix. I can't get them here in Ohio so I have to beg my ex in California to mail them to me a couple of times a year. Sad. So sad, the things that I will do for Flaky Flix. :laugh:

Other favorites include:

-E.L. Fudge, or even better the E.L. Fudge's that have the double filling. Num.

-Double Stuff Oreos

-Girl Scout Samoas

Where to begin?

--Fig Newtons. Nothing else like 'em, and the competitors all come up short in one way or another (usually either the cake or the filling are too dry; sometimes both). The "brand extensions" I don't much care for, Apple excepted.

--Anything Archway makes, but their apple filled ones best of all.

--Girl Scout Thin Mints. "You can never be too rich or have too many Thin Mints." Samoas are all right, but they're a distant second in my list of Girl Scout Cookie faves. When Thin Mints are out of season, Pepperidge Farm Mint Milanos will do.

--Would you be shocked if I told you I liked Oreos too?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

My absolute favorite is Mallomars. Since the coating is pure chocolate, Nabisco only makes them during the cooler months. I forgot to stock up, so now I have to wait until September. :sad:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I love the bags of animal crackers that are gingery and frosted with pink icing (NOT the animal cookies that are basically covered in pink crisco and sprinkles.) My dad would occasionally buy them and the four of us (Dad + kids) would stand around in the kitchen wolfing them down until the bag was gone. I have no idea what brand they were but I can't find them here in TX. ::sigh::

I'm not a big fan of storebought cookies, or really any cookies anymore, but some I have liked: A few of the Pepperidge Farm ones, including Milano and the ones with chocolate chips and macadamias. Girl Scout thin mints, or Mystic Mint cookies. And I don't remember the brand, but really thin, really spicy ginger cookies that go well with ice cream. Oh, and the shortbread ones with a circle of raspberry jam in the middle and almost anything by Cadbury.

Edited by Terrasanct (log)

Although in general I am more a "salty" than "sweet" person, I do have my cookie favs. My top choice has to be Peek Frean's Ginger cookies. They have a spicier ginger taste, and less molasses, which I really like. Strangely, they seem to get even better as they get a little stale - they start nice and crunchy, but get a really neat chewiness to them that I really enjoy. The only downside is that they're not so easy to find, so I don't get to eat them very often.

Although in general I am more a "salty" than "sweet" person, I do have my cookie favs.  My top choice has to be Peek Frean's Ginger cookies.  They have a spicier ginger taste, and less molasses, which I really like.  Strangely, they seem to get even better as they get a little stale - they start nice and crunchy, but get a really neat chewiness to them that I really enjoy.  The only downside is that they're not so easy to find, so I don't get to eat them very often.

I believe I mentioned them earlier in this discussion but you should try Carr's Lemon Ginger Cremes which can be found at Trader Joe's. They do have a little bite to them.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

- Mallomars

- Sandwich cookies made by Dare

- Famous Amos Chocolate Chip with Nuts

Yes, Mallomars are seasonal and mostly sold in New York/New Jersey though the small group of stores in Southern California, Gelson's carried them when they were "in season".

Not sure but I think the Dare cookies are a Canadian product.

While I'll still eat the Famous Amos cookies, the ones I really liked were from the early years when Wally Amos owned his own stores; before he sold the recipes to a giant baker. Originals were crunchier - were not baked to have a "shelf life" - and were smaller. I always felt it was molasses as a sweetner that gave them a distinctive and (for me) addictive flavor.

What a great thread !

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

I agree about the Famous Amos with Pecans, they taste different - but that may be a good thing, because I was addicted. I love PF Gingerman - yum and after reading about them I must find these Carr's Lemon Ginger Cremes - I have been looking for a good lemon cookie for some time now and these sound like they might be the one.

Archway molasses cookies. So soft, they stick together in the package--often forcing me to eat several at a time. The horror, the horror!

Also, Archer Farms (the Target store brand) has an excellent version of dulce de leche pirouettes. They're worth buying just for the aroma wave created by opening the can. Very sweet, of course, but I'm a dulce de leche fiend.