• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Entries: The Name Game

maggiethecat

Ok...I get this game, what a blast...how can I look up the names or do I have to be around long enough to remember them?

Bye the way...Cognac is my actual name...People always think its a pen name! I sure wish I was somehow related to the whole "Cognac" thing in France...and besides Brandy, there is a style of shoes called "Chris Cognac".....I found that out while doing a name search on myself on the net to see what comes up.

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Ok...I get this game, what a blast...how can I look up the names or do I have to be around long enough to remember them? 

Chris Cognac, what a great name! It makes you sound like the dark-eyed, smouldering type.

To get a long list of member names, click on the Members section on the blue bar at the top of the page, two across from Today's Active Topics. But it would actually be more fun just to read through the forums and pick and choose from names being used currently.

And tell us a story!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Chris Cognac, what a great name! It makes you sound like the dark-eyed, smouldering type.

Definitely the seeming cad and later revealed to be the dashing hero of some heaving bosom Harlequin romance! Although that would probably be, Christophe Cognac, Marquis de Something-or-other. :rolleyes:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

It was a dark and stormy night. I picked listlessly at my Black Angus steak, not quite al dente fettuccine, and sighed. I was bored. There was just no other word for it. Cooking had lost its luster for me. No one appreciated agoodcook these days. Especially not the varmints in my family. I needed a new diversion.

“Ahem”. I turned, startled at the noise. It was the Dark Lady, Maggiethecat, with her familiar, Pouncy, at her side. “I have heard your plea and I have just the thing for you”.

I stared at her. Knowing the Dark Lady, I knew I wasn’t going to like whatever she had up her sleeve. Oh this is really nice!, I thought to myself. Just what I need. More of Maggie’s half baked capers. However, I minded my manners and offered her a drink. “GotChiani?” She rasped, as she draped herself over my sofa. “I’d rather give you a six-pack-to-go” I muttered to myself, as I poured her wine. Pouncy stared at me with unblinking catseyes as I seated myself opposite the crazy one. S’kat I hissed at the cat as I handed Maggie her wine. The cat blinked, and did not move.

“Ah, ambrosia” she declaimed as she sipped.

“Our Fearless leader, Fat Guy has decreed another contest” she declared breathlessly, her bosom heaving enthusiastically. She stared at me expectantly, no doubt waiting for my swoon of delight. “So?” I snapped. “Let me clarify” Maggie began. “Clarifythis” I returned, making the appropriate gesture, turning to watch the Ironchef on TV.

“Don’t be such a nervousnelli”, the Dark Lady commanded me. Besides, she whined, changing tactics, I need your help. You’re Canadian-eh, and we Canucks have got to stick together. Whosrbud anyway? Besides, I have it on very good authority that jhurlie's entering this contest and he swears he’ll aniliate anyone who enters. And you know what a deviousdude he can be.

The news that John was entering made me pause. Well, well, I mused. It certainly is a smallworld. I recalled our last encounter and grimaced. I had not done well. In fact, I had seriously sucked, although I still considered him a flash in the pan.

“Why Maggie, why?” I pleaded. “How do you get mixed up in these things anyway?” “Well, it ain’t easy being cheesy and all that JAZ, you know. I have my public to think of after all” she shrugged. “Here’s food4thought. A couple of paragraphs, a few names, and thereuare!”

“Ok, ok” I surrendered. “It takes 22tango and John and I haven’t done our Danceswithpossums for a long time. I hope he’s ready for this”. Actually I hoped I was ready for this. I always, always regretted agreeing to anything the Dark Lady got me into.

Maggiethecat purred contentedly. She hadn’t even had to resort to her famous quivering lower lip to get Marlene to cave in. “Creampuff” she thought. She swept the room with a glance as she rose majestically to her feet. The Dark Lady contemptuously looked at my half eaten dinner. “You know, you eat2much. I’ll just take the rest of that for my finicky friend here and relieve you of the burden of eating it. Let your family know you won’t have time to cook for them my dear. Send out for some pastromionrye for them and get thee to thy typewriter”. With that parting shot, she swept grandly out of the room, plucking a biscotti off the table as she went by.

I sighed. Once again, I’d been snookered by the Literacy Lady. “Smoothmove Mags,” I thought as I settled down a my computer. Ok, John, time to dance. Slowly, I began to type…

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

“Why Maggie, why?”  I pleaded.  “How do you get mixed up in these things anyway?”  “Well, it ain’t easy being cheesy and all that  JAZ, you know.  I have my public to think of after all” she shrugged.  “Here’s food4thought.  A couple of paragraphs, a few names, and thereuare!”

:laugh::laugh:

Gee, Marlene, what a judge of character you are! My bosom's heaving --with laughter.

(Admit I was right. It was fun!)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I'm not even going to tell you how long that took me. Back atcha Dark Lady :biggrin::laugh:

edited to add: yeah, it was fun. :smile:

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Such a dreary night, I thought, as I finally made it back to my pueblo, via Trixie’s joint, slipping out the back and up the fire escape unnoticed. Sybil rushed to the window like a good watch dog as I opened it quietly. Stepping through it into the apartment, I froze as I suddenly heard the sharp click of a gun hammer being pulled back. Some watchdog, I thought, as I gave the animal a wry look. With a small pop, the tranquilizer dart hit my bicep. My heart began to rev, arm in trouble, legs beginning to weaken.

“Madam, Bali can be nice this time of year,” I said to her through a haze. She laughed softly. I knew who it was. I could smell her distinctive perfume. I first met her in Indonesia during “The Case of the Missing Daijin”, my only failure as a private eye. I lost one client being too careless and swore I would never lose another.

Raw, bright light blinded me as she suddenly turned on a flashlight. I played along. I didn’t want to rob our dainty guest of her drama.

“Where’s your partner?” I asked, feeling a little woozy.

“I dropped him off at Guy’s place”, she replied. “I wanted you to my self.”

I knew she didn’t mean that in a good way. She liked her prey to fight. In Bali, we’d had one row after another before the big Dust-Off.

She laughed again. I would have gladly cut her off if I could, but I wasn’t the one holding the gun.

“So, Mrs. Terrine, what can I do for you?” I inquired, calling her by name.

“I am a Ms. Terrine now. I’ve recently lost my husband.”

I vaguely recalled him. John? No, it was Jim, Dixon county’s number one cabbage salesman. He was pudgy and bald, entering his late 60’s. The three of us had gone to an Indonesian movie theater to see “Godzilla” 369…no, it was 370 days ago, if I remembered correctly.

Jay, messy divorces were never for me,” she said with a smile in her voice.

“That’s news to m...my ears” I stuttered through the sleepiness enveloping me. “So you lost your husband. Overboard on a cruise, I suppose?”

“If you only knew” she laughed.

She wasn’t kidding. As I blacked out I knew she was serious, on that I could rely. Serious and deadly, like her borscht.

edited to add a '.'

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Wow, I'm impressed. How long did that take?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Wow, I'm impressed.  How long did that take?

Thanks for all the kind words!

When I stumbled onto the competition, I started writing it immediately for about an hour or so. Then a week went by without any progress. When I discovered the deadline had been extended (thanks, Maggie!) I decided to finish it. All told, it took about 2 and a half hours.

I had to rewrite what I had originally started when Maggie threw down the gauntlet and said there'd be extra points to use "Chad" & "Bloviatrix" in the same sentence. "Hah!", I said, and leapt to the challenge (sufffering little to no physical damage in the process). Originally, I had a better preface setting up the use of "pueblo" but that went out the window with the gauntlet being thrown.

The major hurdles were "Bloviatrix" and "Jinmyo". Once I figured out those two, it set the tone for the rest of them.

I am not proud of what I had to write in order to squeeze in "Varmint". It is not good writing and I will not pretend that it is. Having mulled using words like "Nabokov" & "Kirov" (and tossing them aside) just to gain the "V", I settled on "rev".

And to pat myself on the back, I thought my "Zilla369" and "Tommy" were both a hoot and a half.

Thanks, Maggie, for the fun challenge!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Hey I agree! I can alway use another cookbook :blink: John, I guess we get to dance now. Or at least our third place Gullys can. :biggrin:

Marlene