• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Run for the Border

Jaymes

So the girlfriends are up for a roadtrip! I'm going with three friends, fun gals all. And I know what you're thinking, and no you can't go too. The car is full!!! :raz:

But all of you that post so eloquently here on the Mexico boards, we're soliciting your advice. We're planning on going around January 5th or so, and staying about 10 days to two weeks.

We'll be entering Mexico at Nuevo Laredo, and probably exiting at Nuevo Progreso, although no final decisions have been made. Cities along the route include Monterey, Saltillo, Guanajuato, San Miguel de Allende, Zacatecas, Queretaro (where I have friends).

Any thoughts? Advice? What should we look for? What should we not miss? What should we take with us? What should we avoid?

Caroline/Rachel is in Guanajuato, and is planning some outings for us.

And we are actively seeking suggestions.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I've always wanted to stay at the bullring/hotel in Zacatecas.

Quinta Real Zacatecas

I'm very jealous, you're going to have a blast. Be glad you have a guide in Guanjuato, it's the most confusing city I've ever been to.

Yeah, I know.

I have a friend that calls it, "Guana-what-in-the-hell-am-I-doing-here-to"

:laugh:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I sure hope there will be full food reports at some point.

I'm planning on taking a laptop and filing reports from "el camino." :rolleyes:

Yo quiero ir tambien - me meten en una de las maletas, no?

Ay, Pobrecita.... :sad:

Maybe next time we'll rent a bus. :biggrin:

well, guess who's riding shotgun? :wink:

Well, I've heard that some of the more remote highways can be a little dangerous, but I'm not sure THAT'S necessary.

first and foremost, we'll [i'll] be in search of the perfect margarita...

Hummm... I guess that makes ME the "cochera designada." :biggrin:

pero, es verdad, a mi me gustan margaritas....

Y yo tambien...Chica. :cool:

And Helena - don't worry. We'll steer well clear of any desperados. :biggrin:

I volunteer to play the Brad Pitt role.

We'll be the judge of that.

Right girls????

Post photos on this thread and we'll get back to you.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm off on a different track - I leave for Veracruz in October and join a group for a mushroom foray from 10/19-26. I have decided to drive (I'm in Dallas), 'cause I want to stay through Dia de los Muertos either in Veracruz, or go back and do it again in Tlaxcala, where they put up altarers all over the zocalo. I will (hopefully, probably) stay in Puebla trying to give a valve job to my Spanish during November. I am amenable to extending this trek ... and making offerings, burnt and otherwise, to my purse, beseeching it to see me through a loooooonnnnnnnggggg visit.

So, even though you won't let us ride with you ... should our paths cross .... And I, too, will be taking a notebook so there will be east coasts posts from the road.

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

but i gotta tell you, nothing does it for me like a young dark-eyed mexican boy, say 18 years old.........

...pearly white teeth flashing against smooth mocha skin.

Yum.

You'll have to read my novel when I get it finished.

Yo quiero ir tambien - me meten en una de las maletas, no?

Ay, Pobrecita.... :sad:

Maybe next time we'll rent a bus. :biggrin:

OK c'mon, rent the bus this time! It can be one of those with open sides and a roof that has decorations hanging from the roof, bells, flowers, like Xochimilco on wheels!

Of course there will be livestock on the bus, just to conform with the highway rules - and if they try an atraco, we'll throw a chicken on their faces! :cool:

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

I sure hope there will be full food reports at some point.

I'm planning on taking a laptop and filing reports from "el camino." :rolleyes:

what's connectivity like in mexico?

no clue as to how telmex and any others have the country wired.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

but i gotta tell you, nothing does it for me like a young dark-eyed mexican boy, say 18 years old.........

...pearly white teeth flashing against smooth mocha skin.

Yum.

You'll have to read my novel when I get it finished.

Long dark eyelashes on half-masted lids... :wub:

I need a cold shower :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol