• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ex Lax Toddy

TrishCT

I caught part of a recent Conan O'Brien interview with actress Mary Sedaris (sp?) of Strangers with Candy She has many interesting hobbies, and one of them involves waitressing at Mary's Fish Camp restaurant.

She told Conan that if a customer really annoys her she goes to the bar and puts a few drops of (bleeeeped) into his drink to give him diarrhea. Conan repeated it and was also bleeped. She said to see if it worked she tried it out on herself and indeed it gave her the runs. Does anyone know what she is talking about???

She told Conan that if a customer really annoys her she goes to the bar and puts a few drops of (bleeeeped) into his drink to give him diarrhea. 

So that's where the term "bum's rush" comes from.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Her name's Amy Sedaris - she's the sister of writer David Sedaris (if you haven't read any of his books or essays, you're really missing out).

And yes, it's Visine.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

The first episode of season 3 of CSI used this idea as a plot device: cocktail waitress puts eyedrops in the drink of a bad tipper & the guy ends up dead. Turns out it was lead poisoning from the bullet in his leg, compounded by habitual consumption of chocolate (cocoa plants in Africa -- leaded gasoline in smog -- leaded rain -- lead in chocolate) and triggered by some ingredient in the eyedrops. By the way, anyone know if the lead in chocolate story is credible?

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

Oh my God! Don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch please!!!!

Unless that server is gunning for a nice lawsuit and loss of employment, at a minimum, there is *much* urban myth to these stories. Sort of bragging -- only to display exactly what sort of witch one has chosen to be! :shock:

Not to mention having former customers blabbing to everyone they know that the food at such & such restaurant gave them the hershey squirts...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Oh my God!  Don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch please!!!!

Unless that server is gunning for a nice lawsuit and loss of employment, at a minimum, there is *much* urban myth to these stories.  Sort of bragging -- only  to display exactly what sort of witch one has chosen to be!  :shock:

When I dine out I like to have fun, and being liberal I'm a great tipper.... Usually I am very welcomed as a customer. Trish = $$.

A couple weeks ago I had a rare problem with a restaurant. I'm not going to name it, but it was in Newport, RI. The service was terrible, and the whole thing from soup to nuts, even the water, was a disaster. Just thinking about it again is painful.

I had to call the manager over because the restaurant had automatically added a 20% tip and this was one time when I needed to make a point and give a zero tip. When the manager caught on to what I was doing she offered a free round of drinks. I said "No thank you." She offered again and said she insisted. I said "NO THANK YOU." With that we left. I am so wondering now if we were going to get the Visine treatment.

Ms. Sedaris's comment gave me pause to reflect on that free drink offer...

When I dine out I like to have fun, and being liberal I'm a great tipper.... Usually I am very welcomed as a customer. Trish = $$.

I had to call the manager over because the restaurant had automatically added a 20% tip and this was one time when I needed to make a point and give a zero tip. When the manager caught on to what I was doing she....

Trish, How many people were you? Why would they add grat? (was the waiter anticipating your tip?) Did you land up leaving any part of the included tip? I'm asking because if that happened in NYC, they would have tried to FORCE you to leave the included tip. Deserved or not.

Sorry, but what does Visine in someone's drink have to do with tipping? Isn't there already a tiresome thread on that on the eG?

Please let it die there. Newsflash, but there are those in the service industry that does take pride in their job, and do it well. More than you think. And even a few with principles, morales and scruples. :biggrin:

Oh, and don'tr stiff your server. Give them less, express your distain with an appropriate manager or read your menu when it states 'Parties of x amount or larger are charged an xx% gratuity.'

I'm not saying in any way that you were, but there are high maintenance, difficult guests one must wait on too. If there are problems, request a different server with management. There are always pro-active ways to correct the situation, while in progress too! Communication is a two way street. :smile:

edit: to really get what I wanted to say all in one post :hmmm:

Edited by beans (log)

I don't want to turn this thread into one about tipping, because it isn't.

My point was I saw a "celebrity" waitress on television openly say she puts something in the drinks of annoying customers to give them the runs. I was curious what the substance was. I don't know how widespread this practice is, nor am I making a generalization.

Went out for dinner last night with my family and my husband and I ordered drinks...

Even though it was abusy Friday night, the service was friendly and our food was good. We tipped slightly higher than 20% because I like round numbers on my credit card.

My point was I saw a "celebrity" waitress on television openly say she puts something in the drinks of annoying customers to give them the runs.  I was curious what  the substance was. I don't know how widespread this practice is, nor am I making a generalization.   

She's a comedian. A very talented one at that. I assumed it was a joke.

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

I always heard it was Visine (or something like that) they put in drinks to give bad customers the runs. May be a myth though...

It is Visine.

Trust me.

:blink:

EDIT: I didn't know it gave you the shits, though. Around here, it's used to make someone puke a lot.

Edited by NeroW (log)

Noise is music. All else is food.

I always heard it was Visine (or something like that) they put in drinks to give bad customers the runs. May be a myth though...

It is Visine.

Trust me.

:blink:

EDIT: I didn't know it gave you the shits, though. Around here, it's used to make someone puke a lot.

According to the links provided by Ambra, visine makes you nauseous and does not give you the runs, hence the urban legend stuff...

When I dine out I like to have fun, and being liberal I'm a great tipper....  Usually I am very welcomed as a customer.  Trish = $$.
huh ?
Went out for dinner last night with my family and my husband and I ordered drinks...

Even though it was abusy Friday night, the service was friendly and our food was good. We tipped slightly higher than 20% because I like round numbers on my credit card.

20% is a little under the "great" territory. It's closer to average Edited by GordonCooks (log)

When I dine out I like to have fun, and being liberal I'm a great tipper....  Usually I am very welcomed as a customer.  Trish = $$.

huh ?

20% is a little under the "great" territory. It's closer to average

I made a promise not to turn this into a tipping thread and I meant it. Please bash me elsewhere, thanks. :smile: