• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How experimental are you willing to get with breakfast food?

fresco

An egg is nice, especially in a ramekin with some butter, chicken drippings, and cream.

Of course, one has to be careful when one is eating a soft cooked egg and using one's laptop at the same time, lest the egg spill into the keyboard... Not that I know anyone to whom such a thing has happened... :rolleyes:

--

Edited to ask:  do we in fact know that natto is nonlethal?  :wacko:

Now that you ask, I'm not sure. I tried it only once, and the tiniest bite at that. Maybe it takes a bigger portion, or repeated consumption, to reach a lethal level. Several people I met mentioned how much they liked it, but come to think of it, I don't remember seeing anyone actually eating the stuff. Hmm...

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I'm not a dunker.  Why ruin the beverage?

My sentiments exactly!

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

I, also, will eat pretty much anything for breakfast (when, indeed, I do eat breakfast), but dunking is beyond my comprehension.

Hey, I've got an idea: Let's market a line of hot beverages, that have already had stuff dunked into it... Coffee with baguette-style breadcrumbs, and a thin topping of melted margarine, Tea with moreaux de croisants et marmalade...maybe I've got something here!

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

I, also, will eat pretty much anything for breakfast (when, indeed, I do eat breakfast), but dunking is beyond my comprehension.

Hey, I've got an idea: Let's market a line of hot beverages, that have already had stuff dunked into it... Coffee with baguette-style breadcrumbs, and a thin topping of melted margarine, Tea with moreaux de croisants et marmalade...maybe I've got something here!

Do you think there's a market for pre-dunked Baptists?

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Of course, one has to be careful when one is eating a soft cooked egg and using one's laptop at the same time, lest the egg spill into the keyboard...  Not that I know anyone to whom such a thing has happened... :rolleyes:

BWAHAHAHA!!! I'm glad I didn't have a mouthful of cappuccino when I read that, or it would be all over the computer screen!

Full disclosure: One morning I was eating a soft-boiled egg and trying to answer e-mail on my laptop at WAY too early an hour and, in my sleepy haze, knocked it off its little perch. Naturally, the egg skated across the keyboard to its final resting place over by the screen, allowing the runny yolk to dribble down those little airholes above the wiring and circuitry....

Amazingly, that laptop worked off and on for another year (all right, more off than on) before giving up the ghost for good.

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

I think the Born Agains have the corner on that particular market...

blog

I am currently eating leftover Thai pork and rice salad for breakfast. I'm willing to eat anything but am usually too lazy in the morning, so it's leftovers, or cereal, or waffles if I made the batter the night before.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

My first thought was that yes, I tend to be much more traditional and conservative for breakfast, but now that I've read the thread I've reconsidered. On a LA business trip, I did try the room service "traditional Japanese breakfast" with various pickled veg, salmon, and raw egg. It was great.

A yummy morning beverage is hot Dr. Pepper. Yes, HOT Dr. Pepper. I remember touring the Pepsi plant on a field trip in grade school, and the man who was giving the tour told us all to try it. It has a nice almondy flavor and just the right amount of zing to get you revved up. :blink:

Sherri A. Jackson

Most mornings I go the standard cereal and milk route. But, I've been known to eat cold pizza and sushi for breakfast as well (but not at the same meal). There's nothing like some wasabi to get you going early in the morning. :smile:

I loved the breakfasts that they served in Israel. They had all types of vegetable salads, herring and other cured fishes, and yogurts and cheeses.

Reading all the comments remind me of a conversation I overheard on a flight between Tel Aviv and Paris some years ago. Breakfast had been served - it was eggs and sausages - and one of the passengers was very disturbed. He was convinced that someone had substituted his kosher meal with a non-kosher one because "jews don't eat meat in the morning." The flight attendant reminded him that his food came properly wrapped (as required for kashrut purposes) and said that this was a typical European breakfast, but the guy wouldn't hear of it. He was convinced that someone was playing a trick on him.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I think the Born Agains have the corner on that particular market...

That would be the Amen corner.

Xan's chorizo salmon hash is as adventurous as I get, but she likes kippers and other stuff we dont usually eat here in the USA. It's because she was in Scotland for a year at a university, she says. And she learned to drink single malts there as well, which I'm definatly okay with. :smile:

The Klink and I are firm believers in pho (Vietnamese noodle soup) for a hangover breakfast--the nice mild broth and soothing, unchallenging noodles seem to be just the thing on an upset stomach, and the meat gives a little bit of protein to get us going. Of course, I still need to be awake for at least an hour or more to eat it.

Any other good hangover breakfasts? I do like a bloody mary--I was mixing those up last weekend at a friend's place. Eggs I can't even look at unless they're scrambled (I just keep thinking, "chicken menses! chicken menses!") though I love them soft boiled and poached when I'm not "fragile," as we called it in college.

Batgrrrl

"Shameful or not, she harbored a secret wish

for pretty, impractical garments."

Barbara Dawson Smith

*Too Wicked to Love*

Any other good hangover breakfasts?  I do like a bloody mary--I was mixing those up last weekend at a friend's place.  Eggs I can't even look at unless they're scrambled (I just keep thinking, "chicken menses!  chicken menses!") though I love them soft boiled and poached when I'm not "fragile," as we called it in college.

lots of stuff here.

fresh_a's post reminds me of some time I spent in Germany - their breakfasts are usually rolls spread with butter and meat and cheese (like salami or ham, and a mild cheese, maybe along the lines of muenster) Sometimes quark on the bread with jam. I really grew to like it after getting over my Americanized - "cold cuts for breakfast?"

In fact, I grew to like all german food, but that's another post.  :smile:

That sounds like the Dutch breakfast to me.

When my daughter was doing an exchange in Germany, the only breakfast any of them had was the choice of black bread or hard, cold toast, with butter.

Breakfast time is the time I am generally cruising egullet so I have no time to make anything! :blink:

Even before discovering the internet I was never very creative with breakfast on weekdays, I did put a little more effort into it though.

The weekends is usually when I go more out, but still not really creative, sticking with stuff I know. One day is Western style, waffles, pancakes, eggs, bacon, etc, the next is Japanese, almost always with natto :biggrin: (yes we actually eat it!) sometimes with soup, pickles, and fish.

My 2 year old is currently on a natto kick and it is all he will eat for breakfast and lunch, I make him natto gohan (natto on a bowl of rice) but he eats all the natto and leaves the rice! :blink::biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Katherine, that reminds me of the last time we were in Amsterdam. At the somewhat disappointing breakfast one morning in our fairly inexpensive hotel, the father of a German family was loudly berating the staff: "I did not come to the land of milk and cows to eat MAR-GAH-REEN!" Other than that, though, the breakfast was pretty good.

fresh_a's post reminds me of some time I spent in Germany - their breakfasts are usually rolls spread with butter and meat and cheese (like salami or ham, and a mild cheese, maybe along the lines of muenster) Sometimes quark on the bread with jam. I really grew to like it after getting over my Americanized - "cold cuts for breakfast?"

In fact, I grew to like all german food, but that's another post.  :smile:

That sounds like the Dutch breakfast to me.

When my daughter was doing an exchange in Germany, the only breakfast any of them had was the choice of black bread or hard, cold toast, with butter.

maybe not too far off- I spent most of my time in Cologne, which is very close to the Netherlands.

Although, I did encounter it in Augsburg, too. Germany had really good butter......

Most days my breakfast is not adventurous. I like my coffee with "moo" (canned milk) and a spoon of sugar. But that is the ONLY sweet thing I can stomach in the morning. For a while, I was trying to eat healthier and put oatmeal on the menu. I tried it with butter and some of Prudhomme's seasoning. Pretty good. A sausage kolache is a favorite, especially if the sausage has a pepper kick to it. And then, there is my favorite McD's sausage and biscuit.

I love a full breakfast when I am traveling. I prefer buffets 'cause I can get all of the bacon I want to go with my biscuit and gravy. My favorite in the world is the breakfast buffets in Mexico... chiliquiles, refried beans sprinkeled qith fresh cheese, eggs with a spicy salsa. The Dutch breakfasts are pretty good, as long as I stay away from the fish! Some of their meats have interesting seasonings that I can't quite identify. I never did get used to that broiled tomato in England, though. (I am a tomater hater.)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I don't eat until I've been up for many hours. (I get up around 3:30.) And then it's often gnawing from a few ribs cut from thick rib steaks. Or some congee with dried shrimp and chile. Or an omelet rolled in a tortilla with some scallions and chipotle. Or rice and miso shiru. Or hiyayako tofu with bonito.

I do like to have kippers, toast, and eggs but tend to do that as a lunch for the past years.

Breakfast cereals and such do not interest me in the least and I find I consider them to be in the same category of semi-foods (theoretically edible but pointless to me) as chocolate bars and fruit muffins and such.

fifi, the blackened tomato is a joy. A joy.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I concur entirely with your opinion of natto, surely one of the vilest non-lethal substances ever created. :wacko:

Rice, natto, soy, mustard -- the breakfast of champions. Actually, it's one of my favorites, but I'm not thrilled with the frozen natto available here in Korea (there must be fresh somewhere), so I normally only eat it when in Japan or when I smuggle natto back into Korea. That's good for four or five days of great eating.

Ordinarily, breakfast is just coffee and fruit or an egg on toast. Though I don't don't mind a big fry-up on the weekend if I am hung over.

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.

I concur entirely with your opinion of natto, surely one of the vilest non-lethal substances ever created. :wacko:

Rice, natto, soy, mustard -- the breakfast of champions. Actually, it's one of my favorites, but I'm not thrilled with the frozen natto available here in Korea (there must be fresh somewhere), so I normally only eat it when in Japan or when I smuggle natto back into Korea. That's good for four or five days of great eating.

Ordinarily, breakfast is just coffee and fruit or an egg on toast. Though I don't don't mind a big fry-up on the weekend if I am hung over.

Jim

I have heard the Korean version of natto could knock out a durian.............. :biggrin:

My Korean friends all comment on the mildness of Japanese natto, the Japanese stuff you can't smell until you open it, but the Korean stuff I smelled at a Korean market here in Japan could be smelled over a foot away!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

During my work week I just have (black) coffee and some fruit later, sometimes oatmeal. My favorite breakfast on weekends is a poached egg on an english muffin with salt and pepper (and butter). A real "breakfast" something I think of as a treat (pancakes, omlettes, waffles etc..) - maybe a couple of times a year. There are some freak times that I HAVE to have huevos rancheros (and very spicy). Huevos rancheros, along with pho are two excellent hangover breakfasts.

I start work so early (5:30am), that I just bolt out the door and brew coffee at work!