• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Urgent Help Needed!

nyc

Wash well with water to remove the surface remnants. Water alone will, however, not solve the problem as the Capsaicin (the active burn ingredient) is not water soluble. It is soluble in alcohol, so wash with whatever booze you have around. If you do not have alcohol, washing with milk will also help. Good luck!

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness

I did the same thing with scotch bonnets. Tell her not to touch her face, otherwise she'll get the capcasin on the her face.

Soak the afflicted area in milk. Slathering aloe gel will help relieve the burnining. And Tylenol.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

The love of my life is in agony. She was slicing habaneros barehanded. Now she's in agony.

Does anyone have any tried and true treatments?

Thanks.

Ach, I feel for her.

I once got Thai Hot Pepper essense in my eye. I couldn't see for several hours.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Oh man. Gotta keep that stuff AWAY from mucous membranes, big time.

Two summers ago I was de-seeding some chocolate habaneros I grew that I was turning into hot sauce and I didn't use any gloves. Major dumbass moment. Even though I washed my hands, I went to the bathroom afterwards to pee -- and let me tell you there is NOTHING quite like the pain of pure capcaicin in your urethra. Even after like what seemed to be an hour in the shower and rubbing soap all over the place, it still took a while to get it out.

Make sure she scrubs underneath her fingernails -- use a nailbrush. have her get a manicure if need be, you dont want her getting that stuff on you!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I assume that the skin has been rinsed, etc. and you're referring to the non-acute phase of treatment. Treat it like you would any skin injury from a caustic substance. Aloe is good; so is a topical anesthetic, if needed. Also, kiss the boo-boo to make it better.

I'm thinking of the time when I was young and stupid and rubbed my eye after cutting up some jalapeños. :wacko:

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Stay away from intimate situations.

or situations where heavy sweaters wipe the sweat off of their foreheads w/peppered hands! :wink:

A side question: are not habaneros and scotch bonnets the same thing?

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

Stay away from intimate situations.

or situations where heavy sweaters wipe the sweat off of their foreheads w/peppered hands! :wink:

And don't change baby's diapers or you will get no sleep at all tonight.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Capsaicin being an oil, probably doing the dishes by hand without gloves would be the best bet. Aside from that, mild analgesics such as ibuprofen (if tolerated a 600 mg dose would take care of most of the pain). An aspirin or two, chewed, would provide the fastest relief. Otherwise, you can try something like Solarcaine or anbesol, both of which have benzocaine in them which will provide decent anaeshtesia of the affected part (keep away from eyes).

edit: fix italics

Edited by jsolomon (log)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

A side question: are not habaneros and scotch bonnets the same thing?

They are of the same family of pepper (Chinense) but are likely of different cultivars. Habaneros generally have a more pointy extended tip (outee)

red-goat64.gif

Where Scotch Bonnets have a more rounded, sometimes even recessed tip (innee)

scotchb64.gif

Edited by =Mark (log)

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

OK, all this talk of chile pepper burns and intimate contact leaves me no choice but to post a link to a story by a member of the Chilehead list that delves deeply into both. Be aware that there is explicit sexual content.

Rael 64s "Good Vibrations"

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak