• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stir-Fried Chicken Skin

SobaAddict70

My fascination was revived recently at the Grand Sichuan restaurant on Second Avenue near 56th Street, where I had a stir-fry of chicken skin and whole dried chilies. There's not much more to the dish than that, but it is a beauty. (They can also make it with chicken meat instead of skin.)

Chicken Skin Stir-Fry (from today's DIGEST)

Apparently, this is one of the specialties at the Grand Sichuan in Midtown East (NYC). Sounds intriguing to say the least. My question is, how much chicken skin (from how many chickens) would be necessary to make this dish? And could you say, substitute pork cracklings for some of it? Yum.

Soba

Chicken skin is sublime. I haven't had it like in the Sichuan style for a while... but it is served in several Japanese restaurants as Yakitori, and it goes crispy when grilled over charcoal with just salt, oil isn't needed because you don't trim away every last tasty morsel of fat.

In the Sichuan style, with the dried chillies, the skin can be either crispy or caramelised but softened to slight chewiness by a bare sauce. I think this depends on the type of soy sauce used.

It's a good thing to learn of people out there enjoying well-cooked chicken skin. :cool:

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

I love chicken skin! :biggrin:

Crispiness is a must though, I can never leave a yakitori place with at least 2 skewers :biggrin:

I once had a craving for it and picked up some pre-cooked and sauced skewers at a supermarket and took them home and microwaved them :blink::blink:

nasty, just nasty :angry:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Soba, some crackling thrown in would be sublime.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Not until I got a copy of "Jacques Pepin's Table" and read his recipe for Split Pea Soup with Cracklings did it ever occur to me to do anything but toss the skin from chicken when I needed skinless pieces. Now, I never ever toss it out! It becomes either a "cook's nibble" or a garnish for the finished dish. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

Anna N

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

That sounds heavenly. I don't eat non-fried skin and find it rather yucky, but when it's fried...bring it on!

I recently discovered fried chicken skin among the other crackling offerings in the Fillipino section of an Asian supermarket. Not like the fresh kind, but not bad for a snack.

Going to Grand Sichuan this evening...  shall try to talk companions into ordering the chicken skin...  will report back.

Forgot to read this:

My fascination was revived recently at the Grand Sichuan restaurant on Second Avenue near 56th Street, where I had a stir-fry of chicken skin and whole dried chilies

Went to the one on 9th Avenue as per usual. No stir-fried chicken skin to be found. :angry: Was forced to make do on pickled cabbage with red oil, dan dan noodles, spicy beef tendon, fresh-killed kung pao chicken and spicy twice-cooked pork (the fatty kind, of course). :biggrin: Our lips were tingling big-time until I remembered Fat Guy's tip and we went across the street for some black and white malteds at Island Burger.

Still plan to check out the stir fried chicken skin over on Second Avenue and will report back if someone doesn't beat me to the punch.

--

It turns out that Grand Sichuan East (GSE) does takeout and delivery, so that's what I had for dinner tonight: stir-fried chicken skin, dumplings with chile oil, and pumpkin, home style.

The chicken skin had been cut up into small pieces and each piece stuck onto a toothpick. These were stir-fried with LOTS of chiles and what turned out to be a nice, finger-smacking mixture of minced scallions, red peppers, salt, oil, and sesame seeds, which formed the base of a complex sauce.

I think I'll try to replicate this in the future. A version's forming in my mind now to see if it can be done like a version of salt and chile pepper shrimp.

Soba