• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Clermont-Ferrand

Wolfville

This is my first post! My husband and I are travelling to France from Canada for the first time in November. Our best friends have just moved to Clermont-Ferrand (he works for Michelin). I have found one post recommending a restaurant in Clermont - are there others? All four of us consider fine dining and wine our only leisure pursuit! Unique cuisine, an guided wine list and exceptional service make the experience for us.

Looking forward to seeking more advice as we plan our trip.

Cheers!

Ooh! Ooh! Yes I do!

Restaurant Le 5 Claire, 5 Rue Sainte Claire.

http://www.auvergne-centrefrance.com/Resta...ire/default.htm

I had a superb meal there last year. Tiny place (10 tables I'd say) great service, brilliant chef (worked with Marcon, Gagnaire amongst others) We talked a lot about Marcon, who we were visiting the following night. My review (somewhere on here - think it's the Courmayeur thread) of the Clos des Cimes will show how much i wished we'd stayed in Clermont for two nights. I'd have gone back to the 5 Claire in a trice.

I hear that the Hotel Radio up the hill in Chamalieres is still good. Modern food in an Art Deco hotel.

Edited by Stephen Jackson (log)

Ready to order?

Er, yeah. What's a gralefrit?

Grapefruit.

And creme pot... pot rouge?

Portugaise. Tomato soup.

I'll have the gralefrit.

If you want to take a little drive, Michel Bras is not to far.

www.viamichelin.com suggests the quickest route between Clermont-Ferrand and Laguiol is 100 miles and can be done in two hours.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I hear that the Hotel Radio up the hill in Chamalieres is still good. Modern food in an Art Deco hotel.

Ate at Le Radio about a month back. Some inventive cooking with some interesting flavours and presentational touches. Nice restored Art Deco decor and very pleasant, friendly staff. Website at http://www.hotel-radio.fr/

including menu details and pictures of some of the Deco stylings.

We had the menu 'mosaique' which is not cheap (80 Euros) but full of nice surprises with some subtle spicing. Each of six courses comprises the main ingredient, eg turbot, presented in three or four different ways in small portions, all prettily arranged in individual dishes on a square serving plate for each diner. The exception to this mode of presentation is the cheese course which is a trolley of excellent cheeses from the Auvergne region, served conventionally. I thought the pineapple variations for the dessert course the least successful, but overall the meal was well-paced, interesting and delicious.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

trolley of excellent cheeses

Just realised that if you, dear reader, are from the States this is probably unintentionally hilarious (don't know if 'trolley' has the same meaning in Canada, Wolfville) so maybe I should have used 'cart', but then anyone from the UK would find that a bit odd.

US and England - two countries divided by a common language!

You say tomatos and I say tomatos.... er, yes? :huh:

You say tomatos and I say tomatos.... er, yes?  :huh:

Actually, I think we say tomatoes. :laugh:

I suspect Americans with a great degree of familiarity with France, and who have friends who are French or francophiles, probably don't know what the rest of the country may be saying. I suspect "trolley" is a Britishism, but would be perfectly understood by me and most people I know who are likely to come across one bearing cheese in a restaurant on either side of the Atlantic. "Chariot," preferably, but not necessarily, with the French prononciation would work as well.

Commom language indeed. I just don't want to see one them blokes coming over here and knocking up my sister. :shock:

Welcome to eGullet and the France forum

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Boy I missed some interesting stuff! Canadians are different from Americans and the trolley concept was not lost on me but I appreciate the concern! I did look at Micheal Bras place but he is not open in November, which is when we will be there. The other recommendations will be tried and I promise to report back. Anything within a 4 hour driving radius is fair game for us. In this vast country we call Canada we are used to driving to get places.

Cheers