• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegetarian Burgers

AlexP

I actually met a woman who claimed to be Vegetarian as she devoured a half pound beef burger because she had to get her protein from somewhere and another “Vegetarian” who said the chicken soup she was having was ok because she fished out the chicken chunks before eating and very often I’ve run into omnivores who mistakenly think fish is vegetarian.

Wha?? A vegetarian who wolfs down a beef burger? That doesn't make sense in any way. Tell her to go eat some beans or quinoa. Why in the world would she call herself a vegetarian?

Here in LA, most people who say they don’t eat meat mean that they don’t eat red meat.

Oh trust me, I know - I'm a SoCal native. :cool:

When you speak to ladies of a certain generation, you will notice that they use 'meat' to mean 'beef'. Thus 'We only ate meat once a week' doesn't preclude the consumption of vast and daily, or twice daily, platefuls of ham, pork, chicken and lamb.
- Nigella Lawson, "How to Eat" (fair use)

I like the idea of 'vast and daily platefuls of ham and pork'... :wub:

On a related note, I certainly know a few people who are happy to eat meat so long as it's concealed: so chicken stock is fine, but chicken thighs aren't. Often these are former ethical vegetarians who've changed their ethical stance but are now aesthetically repulsed by the texture of meat. While it's not a position I subscribe to, I don't see it as any less acceptable than, say, religious or ethical objections to meat.

Does anybody have a killer recipe?

no recipe unfortunately, just a suggestion, Taro root burgers.

Being a confirmed carnivore, I usually pass on vegetarian only items, but for the past few years (ever since I ordered at the veggie 9 course dinner at a restaurant and it blew me away) I have been trying more & more. Most still don't live up to my self imposed hype, but the taro burgers we had on Kauai were incredible. If anyone has a recipe, make them!

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

I eat commercial veg burgers occasionally. I've not really bothered to make them myself. I do enjoy falafel formed into large patties in place of a burger. It's very good this way with tzatziki, lettuce and tomato on a big whole wheat bun.

BTW there's a recipe for the satay-style tofu Jinmyo mentioned, plus information about vegetarianism and a few vegetarian recipes, in the Vegetarianism for Everyone class I taught in the eGullet Culinary Institute. Go here to check it out.

On a related note, I certainly know a few people who are happy to eat meat so long as it's concealed: so chicken stock is fine, but chicken thighs aren't. Often these are former ethical vegetarians who've changed their ethical stance but are now aesthetically repulsed by the texture of meat. While it's not a position I subscribe to, I don't see it as any less acceptable than, say, religious or ethical objections to meat.

No problem here with fomer Vegetarians who eat meat so long as it's concealed (i.e. chicken stock) just those who continue to refer to themselves as Vegetarians as they do.